• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Evolution of your Putters

How many different putters have you used since you started playing>

• 1-found one I liked right off and stuck with it, Cradle to Grave

Votes: 5 4.8%
  • 2-3 Took a couple of tries to get it right

Votes: 51 49.0%
  • 4-6 The Grass is always greener on the other side of the fence

Votes: 33 31.7%
  • Too many to count

Votes: 15 14.4%

• Total voters
I started with the XD which I bought because I was told I needed a putter. I went to the local PIAS and asked for a putter and that is what they sold me.

Then I switched to aviars because I won some in a summer doubles and added some classic rocs in there for a while. I threw classic rocs for a while and really loved the champ classic roc for driving.

Then I switched to challengers for a while for a reason I don't remember and didn't really dig them.

I then switched to rhynos and threw them for a long time. I still switch my bag over rhynos every now and then because of how much I like them but I've never really loved them as much as I did when I could get SE rhynos.

Then because of here I bought one of those 5 for $25 wizard deals and got hooked on wizards. While throwing wizards I tried all the other gateway putters as they came out and none of them really stuck. I still tried other wizards because I really wanted a putter that I could finesse into anhyzer lines and just recently I've got some lighter wizards (sub 166) and they have answered that problem finally. I will probably continue to throw wizards.

Right now in my winter bag I am going to use the new Omega SS or some magnets. I just picked up some sweet beat magnets at the local PIAS to compliment my new ones.

Oh, I threw bangers for a few months at some point at time, I don't really remember when though.

1-Aviar PnA (1 Month)
2-Wizard (3 yrs)
3-Different putter every round challenger,banger, KC Aviar
4-Aviar Pna (currently for 3 months)
5-Ion as soon as we get some grippy ones completed (should be soon!)

Hmm, maybe one actual putter change since the 90s, Ching Fusion Tank (virtual Rhyno) to Wizard a few years ago.

I consider a floatier disc option, but the combination of hills, tree breaks and shifty winds around here...

When I first started playing disc golf, it was on a neighbors farm sometime in the 80's. We had a course laid out, but our baskets were 5 gallon drywall buckets, so we vertical putted. In those days, it was whatever I had on hand, Scorpion, Barracuda, etc. Then I saw my first pole hole. After a hiatus, I came back and putted with a San Marino Roc. Then started putting with a Stingray, and believe it or not, I was deadly for a while. Once I really got back into the scene, it was Pro Rhynos for a year. I found that the Rhynos kind of interfered with what I thought was a comfortable stroke, and one fateful day a buddy let me toss his Challengers around. I absolutely could not miss with the damn things. Been a Challenger guy for about 3 years now, still putt with the first one I ever bought, 168 X Soft, and complement it with a CT for some situations. I still miss, but I am wise enough to know it is not the discs fault anymore. That being said, I fool around with lots of putters, but never with any eyes on changing.
KP

150 P&A (3 months)
JK (6 months)
Omegas (tried em all within about 3 months)
warlocks (love the protos) for over a year and have no interest in trying anything else. except maybe the neutral vibram I heard about.

dx aviar
sonic
banger gt
rhyno
gator
warlock
voodoo
warlock
magic
warlock

I wanna try the omega supergrip or supersoft.

Been playing just over nine months now. Started with a Polecat because the PIAS I bought my first discs from (I didn't even know that disc golf was big enough that there were dedicated stores to it, and certainly didn't know that I could browse through thousands of discs 25 minutes from home) only had that and a Birdie. Decided I didn't like the Polecat much for putting so I bought an Aviar since that was the best-selling putter around. Was alright with that for a while but then bought a Spike and Sinus because more obscure stuff tends to appeal to me. Waffled between the two and eventually decided I liked the Sinus better and sold off my Spikes....shortly to be followed by me realizing that I didn't like the feel of the Sinus in my hand at all on putts so I got rid of them.

After that I bought a Wizard and Voodoo because of the hype on here about them and acquired a couple more of each after initially liking them, settled on the Wizard because it felt very nice in my hand on putts. This is also when I read Blake's short-arm putting article and started to develop a real putting style. Bought a Magic at one point to try for longer putts, thought it was ok but didn't stick with it. Soon after that I purchased a Focus and thought that was pretty nice too, liked the slightly shallower rim and smidgeon of better glide on putts. Then just a few weeks ago I realized how annoyed I was at how hard Wizards fade at the end on long putts and approaches, also admitted to my frustration with the deepness of the rim, and decided the Focus wasn't different enough to be any answer either. Bought a Pure, loved its neutrality and shallower rim, then bought some more and got rid of all my Wizards. Playing four incredibly windy rounds at the Mocassin Lake Open this past weekend made me feel a little exposed though not having a more stable putter available so I bought a Pro Rhyno yesterday and have found it to be a very nice compliment to the Pure.

2006-2008 glow aviar pna
2008-> 12x kc aviar
(might be testing some vp's soon)

i am proud to say that i have used magnets since 2000. this is the only disc in my bag that i would never fuck with and try to change. if i ever had to play with only one disc it would be a mag. the only putter i have ever experimented with is aviar p&a's and more recently focuses. i felt like i was cheating on my girlfriend every time

wizard....
omega.....
back to the wizard....

edit: ive used other putters for driving as i hated the wizard initially off the tee.....

I'm really the only one who's only used one putter?

I've switched the plastics around, from M to SS to E, but it's always been Wizard.

I've played for three years and have gone through six putters if you count the Skeeter that I used right away. Here's the complete list:

Skeeter - one of my first two discs bought, didn't last long.

Aviar P&A - got it from a friend, didn't last long either.

Quest AT Crossfire - was dead straight from thirty feet and in, worthless from beyond. Used this to finish out my first summer.

Classic Aviar - still dead straight, but useable from longer distances. Used this all of summer 2008. Found out it was slick as hell when the temp. dropped below sixty degrees.

Soft Magnet - these satisfied my need for better grip in the winter while staying very straight. Killed with these until mid June, used them through July, finally became fed up and switched.

Soft Challenger - I've been using this for upshots since January. Started using it for putting when my Magnets started failing. Due to its time as an approach and driving disc, it was perfectly beat in. Haven't missed more than one <20' putt per tournament round since switching.

I foresee sticking with this one for a while, but I would've said that about the Magnets four months ago, so we'll see.

The first putter I bought was a Innova Birdie and I bought it because it was the disc that most closely resembled a lid catch disc. I quickly got frustrated with that though as my local course has a lot of elevation and I found that it got up on edge easy and would just roll for miles.

Went back to the store and found a Wizard. Picked it mostly because it looked cool. Loved the disc and ended up using it for years. I still have it and it shuffles in and out of the bag as my putter driver with other wizards.

Last year I won a Voodoo at the Ice Bowl and instantly fell in love with it. I've switched over to Voodoos for pretty much all putter duties except I still fall back on the wiz for most drives and headwind putts. I'm getting more comfortable with voodoo drives as well though so the wiz will get used less and less i'm sure.

So that's 3 putters over 7 or 8 years. I'm a terrible putter, but I certainly wouldn't blame the disc for that. My problem seems to be pretty much all mental and a lack of practice. I need to get a basket in the back yard.

150 Aviar
150 Aero
150 Birdie
150 Aviar
Gumbputt
various ProLine, DX, Champ, and SE Rhynos
various Soft and Hard Magnets
Pro D, Soft and ESP Bangers
various Wizards
170 Soft APXs
various DX Aviar P&As
150 DX Rhyno
150 Aviar P&As
150 Polecats

EDIT: lots of other putter were tried for a short period of time; these were the putters that stuck for a while.

Aviar P n A
Soft Magnets
Challengers
I've played right at 4 years and this is my evolution of putters. The Aviar P n A lasted the first few months that I played, Soft Magnets for almost a year and Challengers ever since. My putting has been the strongest part of my game ever since switching to Challengers and buying a practice basket. It feels kinda good when you throw a less than desirable drive and still make a 2 with a huge putt :twisted:

I started with a birdie my friend gave me and after a few months I HATED it with a passion. I went to the store and bought a KC aviar and have been using those ever since. I can definitely say putting is the strongest part of my game and it is due to practice and the KC aviar being very consistant. I will never putt with antthing else.

wow...

Well, let me try, in no particular order

JK Aviar
Birdie (short lived)
Aviar P&A
Aviar Classic
Wizard (M,S,SS)
Warlock
Magic
P2
Banget GT
VP
Star Aviar
Clear E Wizard

I have a problem.

Hoey said:
wow...

Well, let me try, in no particular order

JK Aviar
Birdie (short lived)
Aviar P&A
Aviar Classic
Wizard (M,S,SS)
Warlock
Magic
P2
Banget GT
VP
Star Aviar
Clear E Wizard

I have a problem.

I think everyone would have this problem if they could practice putting while at "work"