• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Evolution of your Putters

How many different putters have you used since you started playing>

• 1-found one I liked right off and stuck with it, Cradle to Grave

Votes: 5 4.8%
  • 2-3 Took a couple of tries to get it right

Votes: 51 49.0%
  • 4-6 The Grass is always greener on the other side of the fence

Votes: 33 31.7%
  • Too many to count

Votes: 15 14.4%

• Total voters
rodman20 said:
The very first disc i bought myself was a sweet "S" wizard. Nice and firm. Had that for a year and then lost it in a lake away from home. Lost two more putters that felt and flew the same way in a month. Its just to hard to find consistant gateway plastic and i dont like the floppy stuff so i had to make a switch. I was noticing that the new wizards were just to stable for the way i throw (lots of hyzer for putter drives) Picked up some PnA aviars the last 2 months and havent looked back. Was thinking about picking up some KC aviars but figured they would be to stable for my style as well.

You'll be back to Gateway...Warlock, Voodoo, or Magic will probably work better for you than the Wizard did. Sure Gateway's inconsistent in some ways, but those new PnAs that you like won't fly like that for long. Gateway's putter plastic lasts twice as long as Innova's dx and 3 or 4 times as long as Discraft's d.

Me and the wizard are like lovers who fight badly every now and then. Every now and then we get into a big argument about something and I go out and get some strange but at the end of the day I always go back to the wizard.

Usually the argument is about touch turnover shots, but lately I've been using a super beat esp comet for that slot.

Frank Delicious said:
Usually the argument is about touch turnover shots, but lately I've been using a super beat esp comet for that slot.

Roc not doing that for you?

Dig It said:
Frank Delicious said:

I'm carrying one star roc and 2 esp comets for my winter bag. I don't want to crack a nicely beat roc in the winter time.

Frank Delicious said:
Dig It said:
Frank Delicious said:

I'm carrying one star roc and 2 esp comets for my winter bag. I don't want to crack a nicely beat roc in the winter time.

There's something you should know about me Joe Rogan... I crack rocs.

I started with Aviars. One got all chewed up by a dog and I gave the other to a buddy when I found MY putter - Wizards. Fast forward to today - I have slew of various wizard plastics and weights. I went from using lighter 168ish to 170 and now I'm set on 5 175 g9i's that BLURR hooked me up with. I have one super beat wiz that I can finesse into turnover lines but when I don't wanna use that I gotta get nice with the anny or use a magic.

I'm pretty sure I'll be wizard forever with the occasional magic.

I guess I'm odd. No secret there.

The first five or so years I played I ran through putters like underwear. I kept looking for the "magic" putter that would save my game. Phantom+, original Hammer, 86 Softie, Rubber Putter, Birdie, Aviar, XD...they all came and went from my bag. Of those I hated the Aviar the most. The rim was super deep and I could not get a comfortable grip. Problem was, everybody I knew that was any good putted Aviars. I finally bit the bullet and decided the grip was my problem and I should just cope. Putter problem solved.

Since then there have been a few other putters I've tried. I used the Magnet for awhile. I tried the Omega series (just small bead Aviars in different plastic.) I've used the Wizard and Warlock. I keep going back to the Aviar. It might be a mental thing, but I'll pull out an Aviar father back in the fairway and have more confidence in it than I have with any other putter. Even my beat Wizards seem to hyzer out short of where I can put the 9X Aviars, but unless it's super windy I don't have a problem flipping the Aviars.

I'll probably keep trying new putter as they come out. I picked up some Voodoo's last year and gave them a shot. For right now I'm still chucking Aviars.

Omega SS's were the only putter I threw for years, but I wasn't a "serious" player or really cared. Lost those and played with an APX that a friend of mine gave me, then started getting serious and started throwing Wizards. I wasn't a big fan of them at first b/c they were so firm compared to the SS's, but I stuck with them and haven't looked back since.

Rhyno - 1st putter I bought, used for two years
Wizard - used about 1.5 year
Voodoo - used 0.5 years - love it, just not comfortable driving with it
Rhyno - back at it. more comfy for drives grip wise

Soft Magnet - one the first 3 discs i bought, bought some more and putted with them about first two years playing, had no idea about driving with putters
Zero Pure - bought two and loved the grip and used it some months and learned to drive with a putter with it, playing on somewhat wooded courses it got dinged up pretty fast
D Magnet/Soft Mag combo - driving with hard one and back to putting with softs
D Challenger - bought few and decided to learn to putt with, no succes, driving was pretty good though
D Magnet/D Challenger combo - got some new D Magnets and liked them a lot, been in the bag for three or four months now, more stable approaches and forehands with Challenger
D Mag/Challenger/Soft Mag combo - added one beat up black soft for longer/jump putts (atleast trying some), blacks softs probably replace hard ones when we get some snow

In 1997 I started out with a Soft Magnet and liked it, but it got way too soft in 100 degree weather, and did things I didn't like.

Later that year got a D Magnet, liked it a lot, played with it for around 2 years.

Took about a 10 year break from disc golf for various reasons.

In march of this year I fell back in love with disc golf and tried using a mix of the Soft Magnet and D Magnet I used 12 years ago. Don't know why, but in 6 months of extensive play I never got my groove back with either, so I wanted to switch.

Sept 28, 2009. A couple of older Wizards that I traded for arrived in the mail and were put to use that very day. One was "soft" but was hard as heck, the other was "Medium" but was much softer, go figure, and a very nice putter. After extensive research, and not wanting to put up with the BS involved in getting more good Wizards, I decided to try something else, and looked forward to the Ace Race and giving the Focus a try.

Oct 28, 2009 The Ace Race discs arrive in the mail. I pick mine out, and my friends since he's in love with his Aviars and giving me his, and get in 4 rounds with them before the Ace Race 3 days later. I can immediately tell why people compare them to the Wizard as they are very close to each other. I win the Ace Race and unlike most everyone else, prefer the ESP plastic more than the Pro D. discraft announced they won't be producing the Focus in ESP, so I'm trading for all I can get and have 5 so far, with 2 more trades in the works. Hopefully that'll last me a really long time, since I REALLY like this putter and can already see improvement in my putting game.

discspeed said:
rodman20 said:
The very first disc i bought myself was a sweet "S" wizard. Nice and firm. Had that for a year and then lost it in a lake away from home. Lost two more putters that felt and flew the same way in a month. Its just to hard to find consistant gateway plastic and i dont like the floppy stuff so i had to make a switch. I was noticing that the new wizards were just to stable for the way i throw (lots of hyzer for putter drives) Picked up some PnA aviars the last 2 months and havent looked back. Was thinking about picking up some KC aviars but figured they would be to stable for my style as well.

You'll be back to Gateway...Warlock, Voodoo, or Magic will probably work better for you than the Wizard did. Sure Gateway's inconsistent in some ways, but those new PnAs that you like won't fly like that for long. Gateway's putter plastic lasts twice as long as Innova's dx and 3 or 4 times as long as Discraft's d.

Yea i was thinking about trying the magic as well i have felt more nice magics recently. I did get a discwing crosshair putter today and it feel so nice. If it wears well this may be the new putter.

I switched a couple times between molds, but have only switched once since I really learned how to putt.

(Chronological order:)
Before I knew how to putt correctly:
KC Aviar
Wizard
Banger GT
Wizard

After I learned how to putt:
Magic
Voodoo
Magic (this is where I'm at now)

The magic fits my new found pitch putt style perfectly, while still being good as a line drive style putter.

I started putting with an Aero. It was a gift from the girlfriend and I didn't even know what disc golf was all about so thats what I used.
3 Days playing later...

I bought a black 12x KC Pro Aviar, really really liked that thing and used it for a while,

Then I found out about Blue and Yellow JK Aviar Goodness. Will never putt with anything else... ever.

86 Softie

Aero
Avair Putter (small bead Hands and Chains variety)
XD
Birdie
Classic Roc
R-Pro Dart
Avair P&A (beadless)

Lightning something (it really sucked and I didn't putt with it more than a round)

Gumb Putt (old school version)

Super Puppy

Omega Super Soft

Soft Magnet
Challenger
Putt'r

Warlock
Wizard

Probably leaving a few off the list cause I'm just doing this by memory. I'm a sucker for a new putter, or at least used to be. Strangely enough, I've come almost full circle and currently putt with the Softie and the Avair P&A (the closest modern thing to the old Avair Hands and Chains putters).

KC Aviar 172g two months
Star Aviar NB 170g was using only when the KC putting was off
Star Avair BB 170g got this for driving and was gummy/soft and liked it best for putting

only playing for 1 year...i have rhynos for windy conditions

I started in the mid 90's, used some Lighting midrange/putter the first few months but I don't recall the mold. Switched to Avairs for a year or so before giving all my disc away since I hardly ever played. Around 2000 I got the urge to play some golf and picked up a few disc from a gas station by a course, bought a Magnet and used that for several months. Stopped playing again until 2005. Then I went disc whoring. Bought Avairs, Magnets, XDs, Challengers ,whatever else was available ( not to mention a ton of different driver molds ). Bought some Wizards around 2 years ago, and have used them ever since.