• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Prodigy] F3

ThomasOrion

* Ace Member *
I tried to search for an original thread but could not find it....so....here goes::

Over the last 3-6 months or so I have been using the F7 F5 F2 combo for my fairway drivers.
I found that it was a great combo to have. But the F2, though a great great disc, sometimes was a little too stable for the shot I was intending...and the flip side (pun kinda intended) the F5 sometimes a little too understable. Though also a GREAT disc. I pickup up an F3 recently and finally got out to play with it.

Basically....it was exactly as I hoped...a touch more stable than an F5 a touch less stable than an F2. It really is a money disc...with power and slight hyzer release it flies a very nice S curve and fades back smoothly and gently. I was almost surprised how easily it was turned over...granted it was warm, no wind, and I was driving fairly powerful. I used it on a mostly wooded course (Kaposia, StPaul, MN) I threw this disc off the tee multiple times and used it for a few upshots. Very controlled, handles power....just awesome, Where my F5 is a great straight disc, when given a lot of power holds understable nicely with a small fade, the F3 is very true S shape (but a tight S shape that allows for long straight shots threw the woods. My F2 would hold very straight, but faded sometimes too much, now when i DO need a more reliable fade, I just reach for the Firebird...no doubt that is OS.

I rate the F3 7/5/-1/2 and I would say its a disc that will be a go to for many shots to come. Hope you all enjoy the F3 as much as I do :thmbup:

Prodigy's TeeBird. I only wish I hadn't lost/left my baby blue F3 at School House Gulch... sigh. Now I'm left with a clear F3, that while still is a great disc to throw it is near impossible to find after said throw.

Yeah, I dig it....but I don't like ICE discs...I mean, they ARE cool, but a B to find sometimes. There are plenty of F3's out there Blackcat ;)

The F3 seems to be the most popular fairway driver in Prodigy's lineup. I've heard it compared to a TeeBird, but I'd say its a little faster, so maybe closer to a P-PD. Unfortunately, I just caught the PD bug, and so in order to justify keeping the F3 around, I use PD for BH and F3 for SA. Innova's FL is imho one of the best flick discs out there, and F3 is nearly identical in feel and in flight, but a slightly different plastic. Also, FL has been discontinued, and Champ FLs aren't easy to come across. That's my two cents.

Imo, the F3 is similar to a worn TB or Eagle, so more like a champ TL.

The F5 will overlap some. My F3 is in and out of the bag. Day to day i think the F5 is a more versatile mold, it performs well on different levels of power and release angles consistently.

I have found the F5 is more consistent in the wind. Im not saying its a wind beater, but in any wind you would still throw the F3 in, the f5 will (for me) fly pretty much the same all the time, and you will get unreliable flights out of the F3. Sometimes its straight, sometimes it fades out, sometimes it flips.

I feel like when i really try and push the f3 out there, i see a lot of turn and an inconsistent fade. It will fight out sometimes, or sometimes its turning the whole way.

I like F3's, i think they feel the most comfortable in my hand. But the situations where i am using them is slowly but surely being taken over by other molds.

The F3 is a neat fairway. Probably my favorite out of the F-series. I do like the F2 as well, but I have limited experience with those. The F3 is controllable, definitely a disc used to shape lines. It does remind me of a TL or JLS (maybe not as fast as a JLS).

The F2 is the Prodigy Teebird for sure. I agree with PWingles about the F3 being like a broken in TL/EL. The F3 is a straight shooter out of the box. If you remove the flashing, it will make it fly like an F5. I carry two F3's, one new'ish and one deflashed with a little wear on it. They are my primary fairways and get thrown for probably 50% of my tee shots. As an aside, I do carry the F1, F2 and F7(rolling only). I really like the prodigy fairway drivers.

you will get unreliable flights out of the F3. Sometimes its straight, sometimes it fades out, sometimes it flips.

I have found the F3 to be extremely versatile and very consistent. It is always a very straight flyer for me with limited turn and predictable fade. It has actually been the only fairway driver I have been using for almost all of my rounds so far this year.

I guess that's what makes disc golf interesting though, certain molds will serve different purposes for different players.

*It's just such a comfortable disc...feels perfect in the hand....flies true....basically will hold what you put on it with a little more stable/fade finish....trusty....I used to trust the F5 most, but lately when I try to power it it will stay US more (obviously) so as the summer heats up I think discs fly a little more understable, I will be using the F3 a lot in the woods, as with the F5....great wooded course discs....that and the M4 and Pa1......having success there.....cannot forget the Mako....great touch straight mid.....

I really liked the F3....it'll be in the bag for my tourney....I think I'll stick with it too, as I have an F5 for straighter to a lil US and an F7 for US duties....and a Firebird for True OS fairway. Can't wait!

For me F3 is longer and little more understable Teebird. I suck at sidearm but somehow I can throw OK sidearm shot with F3. Great fairway driver!

This thread is going to make me give my F3 another shot. I had the same experiences with it as Pwingles. Not very consistent or trustworthy as the F5. I've also been using the F2 a ton and it's starting to get a little turn before the strong fade. A few more months and I believe it will be my furthest and most trusted flying fairway driver. Kinda like how the F3 is for the OP. I'll probably continue not liking the F3 and just beat in F2's for that F3 flight.

This thread is going to make me give my F3 another shot. I had the same experiences with it as Pwingles. Not very consistent or trustworthy as the F5. I've also been using the F2 a ton and it's starting to get a little turn before the strong fade. A few more months and I believe it will be my furthest and most trusted flying fairway driver. Kinda like how the F3 is for the OP. I'll probably continue not liking the F3 and just beat in F2's for that F3 flight.

Take the flashing off of it :thmbup: It's a beauty of a flyer then.

Bump for plastic discussion. I've been going down the Prodigy wormhole a bit lately and I've been mostly liking what I'm finding. The plastic is REALLY nice.

So I've seen that the F3 is available in 350g which is, in my opinion, a super premium KC Pro type plastic. I've been playing around with PA3s in this blend and I love it. Since the F3 is supposedly Prodigy's teebird-like disc I'm wondering how it would work out in this $$$ 350g plastic blend. I'm also interested in trying this plastic out for the M3 as a direct competitor to the McPro Roc3.

Does anyone throw these in 350g that can comment?

I can't comment on the 350g, but I'll add to earlier thread sentiments that the F3 is a really good disc. Great compliment with the F5, and IMHO better for me than the Teebird (YMMV). The F3 is part of my "All-Prodigy" bag that I take out from time to time.

I have a yellow 400 F3 at 166g that I picked up recently and I'm loving it so far. I was thinking (hoping) that a 350g F3 would wear in to become a beautiful flyer. Just based on the way I've seen my 350g PA3s wearing in. It's really a fantastic thing this 350g plastic. Rigid, smooth yet tacky, takes dings well, has good glide. It kind of reminds me of Gateways new SGS in that it has that old school KC Pro feel to it. I like it a lot. Seems like an F3 in this stuff could be a really great thing..... Like a Teebird if you could get one in KC Pro (not the KC Pro champ stuff that is collectable but like 10x KC Roc stuff). Ordering one in 3...2...1....

I've had 3 F3's and 5 F5's w/ various plastics. For me F5 flies with more HSS and less LSS than my F3; I can achieve an anhyzer easier with the F3, but the F5 will hold it longer. The F3 is actually feels more forgiving of a weak throw than the F5 if I'm looking for left-to-right movement.

I have a 350g F5 that's fantastic for turnovers; its my most confident anhyzer disc right now. My only issues with the 300 / 350 series is tree hits can add up very quickly, to the point where in wooded areas that I want to throw my 350g the most, I'm very reluctant too. Conversely I bought a very worn looking 750 F5 and it flies almost like new. I've got a couple FD's I'm toying with now, and I think the long term battle will come down to F3 vs FD.

Cool man thanks for the info. I was looking at that 350g F5 too. I just love the 350g baseline so much. I'm really intrigued with how it would cycle for the F series if you had a mini stack to cycle in. I haven't ordered yet but I want to. Just not sure if the better cycle would be F5 or F3. Very hard to decide!

F5 might make the better cycle because it will cover more shots but I'm pretty new to these molds and 350g so it's hard to say. I do know that I LOVE my PA3s and Pa4s in 350g. I also kind of want to try the M3 in this stuff. Wish they would make the M1 in it too. I have an M1 in 350s and its awesome but I prefer the firm slick feel of 350g and the way it buffs out with a towel.

Last edited:
When I threw the F3 (granted a while ago and not in 350g plastic), it definitely flew a lot like a TL. It had more turn than a Teebird out of the box and a pretty gentle fade. I think the F2 is Prodigy's Teebird, not the F3. If I were cycling, I'd get an F1 or F2, not an F3. The F3 has too much turn out of the box, so I can imagine it would be even less stable in baseline plastic and turn into a roller pretty quickly. I don't know if there are any F1's or F2's in 350g plastic though. There was a limited run of F1's in 300 plastic (I know because I bought one), but 300 beats up REALLY fast. My F1 went from Banshee stability to Eagle stability within a few rounds. Anyway, good luck and let us know how it goes.