• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Failure to enforce penalty (*SPOILER ALERT WORLDS*)

DG_player

Eagle Member
During round 3 of worlds Ricky Wysocki had some unstable footing on about a 15 footer. He holed the putt but lost his balance and clearly fell forward of his mini. Technically this would be a foot fault. Based upon the coverage and commentary, his fellow competitors clearly saw it, but then declined to call him on it. They instead had a little chuckle and moved on.

Based upon the final score it clearly made no difference, even if by some freak rare occurrence Wysocki missed the re-putt. Presumably this is what his competitors had in mind when they declined to call it. However there could be a case in the future where it could make a difference. Maybe he foot faults again later in the round, costing a stroke, maybe he misses the putt, etc, and possibly the tournament comes down to this 1 stroke difference.

By PDGA rules what penalty should have been assessed to Ricky and his card mates, if any? The commentators indicated that since it was up to card to make the call, everything thing they did was within the rules. It seemed really odd to me that this would be the case, given that their inaction could potentially effect someone on another card. In ball golf this type of action during competition is taken very seriously and results in an automatic DQ.

Sadly, DQ is probably the only recourse but it's a really really large step to take and I wouldn't fault any TD for not doing that.

I've already posted my thoughts on another thread, so I won't repeat myself. I'll just say that for players of that caliber, on a stage of that level, to not properly enforce the rules is shameful. I get that it was probably an inconsequential call in the long run, but that's the excuse given when faults and falling putts are ignored at smaller events. At Worlds, in front of spectators and video cameras, you can't really get much more consequential in our game. Maybe it wouldn't change the score. But it might influence the future of the sport in a positive way nonetheless.

Sadly, DQ is probably the only recourse but it's a really really large step to take and I wouldn't fault any TD for not doing that.

I've already posted my thoughts on another thread, so I won't repeat myself. I'll just say that for players of that caliber, on a stage of that level, to not properly enforce the rules is shameful. I get that it was probably an inconsequential call in the long run, but that's the excuse given when faults and falling putts are ignored at smaller events. At Worlds, in front of spectators and video cameras, you can't really get much more consequential in our game. Maybe it wouldn't change the score. But it might influence the future of the sport in a positive way nonetheless.

Sorry, I didn't realize this was already being discussed on another thread. Someone feel free to close this.

i'm chalking you up for a video fault for posting a three paragraph thread discussing something that is on video and not posting a link to the pertinent content.

next time you don't post a time stamped youtube link while starting a thread like this you'll have your thread deleted immediately and a three day ban from DGCR.

also, the other posters that haven't added the link to this video are now being disqualified. enjoy your three day ban.

i'm chalking you up for a video fault for posting a three paragraph thread discussing something that is on video and not posting a link to the pertinent content.

next time you don't post a time stamped youtube link while starting a thread like this you'll have your thread deleted immediately and a three day ban from DGCR.

also, the other posters that haven't added the link to this video are now being disqualified. enjoy your three day ban.

somebody give this guy a moderator account :rolleyes:

I have been banned, too. Worse than that, my sponsors ( First Alert, Acorn Chair Lift and Tommy Copper)
are not happy. My endorsement contracts have been canceled.

I have been banned, too. Worse than that, my sponsors ( First Alert, Acorn Chair Lift and Tommy Copper)
are not happy. My endorsement contracts have been canceled.

so that's why Tommy Copper folks called me....

Could Ricky have DQ'ed everybody on his card for not calling his foot fault?

Could Ricky have DQ'ed everybody on his card for not calling his foot fault?

No because the power to DQ players rests solely with the tournament director. The most Ricky could do in this situation is call courtesy violations on the whole card for not "performing an action expected by the rules".

The PDGA could take disciplinary action. What do you think, does this rise to the level of, let's say, a shoulder bump?

As much as I hate to be the guy who's all "Rules need to be followed", but these are professional athletes. I feel if your being payed to play a game, it's only fair that you follow the same rules were all expected to follow. It sets a bad example for the future. These are role models to younger players and if the rules are a joke to them they will be to everyone else. Not that I think I was a malicious thing or anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The PDGA could take disciplinary action. What do you think, does this rise to the level of, let's say, a shoulder bump?

Not in the absence of a DQ by the TD.*

* Yes, there's a procedure for active members to file a complaint with the Discipline Committee, but the procedure specifically restricts such complaints to " extraordinary disciplinary matters that cannot be handled using the PDGA Rules of Play," which is not the case here since the Rules already address refusal to perform an action expected by the rules.

It looks to me like the PDGA disciplinary process document enables the board of directors to initiate an action without a complaint from the event TD, a player, or even an attendee of the event.

Case 3: If an active member demonstrates behavior that is inconsistent with the well being of the PDGA or another active member(s), any PDGA Board member or the Executive Director may instigate a disciplinary investigation on their own. The case should be submitted via the DAF so that a record of the case is on file. The investigation and resolution should be as in Case 1 with the following exception.

1. The DC cannot dismiss the petition as being within the normal rules structure; that is, an action instigated by a Board
member or the Executive Director requires an investigation.

If all players on a card can agree to not call clear and obvious footfaults, can they also agree to concede drop-in putts?

Speed of play...I'll pick up your drop-in, saving you the walk to the basket, when I clear my disc. Not allowed by the rules but, hey, we've all watched you play and we know you're not going to miss a 2-footer. We'll make our own rule for our card as long as all players are in agreement. Sound good?

:|

If all players on a card can agree to not call clear and obvious footfaults, can they also agree to concede drop-in putts?

Speed of play...I'll pick up your drop-in, saving you the walk to the basket, when I clear my disc. Not allowed by the rules but, hey, we've all watched you play and we know you're not going to miss a 2-footer. We'll make our own rule for our card as long as all players are in agreement. Sound good?

:|

Nikko did that at a tourney last year or so, on camera. I think he was also TD of said tourney.

Latest posts