• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Fairway driver....distance or accuracy?

Rayph1n

Bogey Member
So I've been trying out different fairway drivers lately trying to build a bag. I have found a few I like but not sure which to go with.

So my question is should I look for more accurate drivers or drivers that I can throw further? The discs were the same weights and in similar plastics from both manufactures. All were understable as well.

Tried throwing the discs on different angle to see how they would react. A couple of them would fly about the same distance within 4 or 5 feet of each other. The one disc was consistently longer, like 30 to 50 ft.

The idea of a fairway is to provide accurate distance.

Here are some vague numbers for throwing different styles of discs as an intermediate player:

Putter 150-200 feet
Mid: 200-250 feet
Fairway: 250-300 feet
Driver: 300 plus feet

Go out in a field and pick a tree to throw towards.

If you can get close to that tree with your fairway driver from 250-300 feet away, then you're doing pretty good.

With that said, there's nothing wrong with having a fairway that can bomb if you ever find yourself in a situation where you think a distance driver might be too much disc.

As you start out n the game, accuracy is much more important, imo. Throwing max effort out to 300ft doesn't mean much if its 50ft left of the basket. You're better off throwing a controlled 275ft and have an idea of where its going to end up, especially if you're playing on woody courses or around lakes.

I play a lot of wooded courses with only a couple wide open holes. I figured accuracy would be the better option.

I would think for the same weight and speed, you would want to find a stable fairway driver you could control with an S-shaped flight path (Valkyrie for me), then learn how to throw it farther than when you started. Understable drivers are less predictable in the open, especially with wind, even if you sometimes get longer distances. The exception is an understable fairway (Roadrunner) might be the best disc to learn how to throw with a slight hyzer release to stay as straight as possible in wooded corridors longer than what you can throw and reach with a mid-range.

I play a lot of wooded courses with only a couple wide open holes. I figured accuracy would be the better option.

Unless you're already well passed your prime athletically, the distance will come with better technique and simply playing more... and even if you are passed it, you should still get some added distance with proper technique and a better understanding of what discs you should be throwing/how you should be throwing them.

Unless you're already well passed your prime athletically, the distance will come with better technique and simply playing more... and even if you are passed it, you should still get some added distance with proper technique and a better understanding of what discs you should be throwing/how you should be throwing them.

I'm in my early 30's so I don't think I'm past my prime yet. I started playing in October played out 10 rounds and then winter hit. Will be playing a lot more than that this year so I think I will see a lot of improvement.

I would think for the same weight and speed, you would want to find a stable fairway driver you could control with an S-shaped flight path (Valkyrie for me), then learn how to throw it farther than when you started. Understable drivers are less predictable in the open, especially with wind, even if you sometimes get longer distances. The exception is an understable fairway (Roadrunner) might be the best disc to learn how to throw with a slight hyzer release to stay as straight as possible in wooded corridors longer than what you can throw and reach with a mid-range.

I will take a look at some stable discs but I knew the US discs would be easier to throw for a beginner. Just didn't want to purchase stable discs and end up putting myself into trouble while still trying to learn form.

I will take a look at some stable discs but I knew the US discs would be easier to throw for a beginner. Just didn't want to purchase stable discs and end up putting myself into trouble while still trying to learn form.
Understable is good for a beginner if you're buying discs in the 170+ range. However, if you get stable (neutral), not overstable, discs in the 155-165 range, you should be able to throw them reasonably well and probably better than understable max weight discs. The discs I'm referring to are in the middle or just one disc to right side of center in a manufacturer's disc stability chart, definitely not the left side.

I think the OP is presenting a false dichotomy, in terms of distance vs. accuracy being a disc selection issue.

For example, talking flippy fairway drivers: I can throw my Eagle L on a 250' line drive at 60% power. Or closer to full power, I can pop a hyzer all the way over to flipped, have it drag a while on the understable portion of the flight, and with enough air under it, slowly fade out to 300-330'.

That second throw definitely sacrifices some accuracy for distance. Especially because there are more factors in play. Small irregularities early in the flight will get magnified as the disc is in the air longer and longer.

TL,DR:
Accuracy vs. Distance is more about shot selection than disc selection.

Last edited:
I am going to say, bag both. There is a good chance that you don't have the arm speed/technique to throw any distance driver further than you are the fairway drivers. Work with the fairways for a while, learn how to shape shots with them and then move up to the big boys.

Understable is good for a beginner if you're buying discs in the 170+ range. However, if you get stable (neutral), not overstable, discs in the 155-165 range, you should be able to throw them reasonably well and probably better than understable max weight discs. The discs I'm referring to are in the middle or just one disc to right side of center in a manufacturer's disc stability chart, definitely not the left side.

All my drivers are in the 167-169g range. I didn't even think pro's threw max weight drivers.

If you play mostly in the woods or in an area with typically low wind you probably should throw lighter discs. If you play in the open or with frequent wind I would only bag 170+

Fwiw.. most ams usually in the long run end up with fairways being their goto disc off the tee. You get 80-90% of the distance of faster discs but 100% of the control. Keep some high speed discs for windy conditions or if you need a strong fade, skip, etc. But definitely you should be concentrating on more control than distance early on in learning the game.

So I've been trying out different fairway drivers lately trying to build a bag. I have found a few I like but not sure which to go with.

So my question is should I look for more accurate drivers or drivers that I can throw further? The discs were the same weights and in similar plastics from both manufactures. All were understable as well.

Tried throwing the discs on different angle to see how they would react. A couple of them would fly about the same distance within 4 or 5 feet of each other. The one disc was consistently longer, like 30 to 50 ft.

Definitely try a teebird if you're looking for a good fairway driver, there's a good amount of variations to them so finding the right one isn't hard.

You don't need anything faster than fairway drivers (speed 7-9) in the beginning.

I suggest you pick one straighish driver with some turn and some fade as your workhorse driver. You should be able to throw it on various angles and produce various lines. As well, forehand it.

To that one add one rather overstable driver, not extremely overstable but with enough high speed stability to throw into a headwind and 2-3 fade. That one can complement your straightish driver well.

You can cover most lines with such a duo, if you forehand and backhand.