• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Family disc golf...

Chainchaser

Double Eagle Member
I posted a while back about how my whole family including my wife has taken up disc golf. I can say without a doubt that it has been great so far. We have been going to courses that I otherwise probably would not get to play and plus we are having fun doing it. We even played some lexington courses when we went for my sons orientation at UK which was really cool. This year I have put my bass fishing on hold and really have taken the disc golf bug and ran with it and best of all my family is right there with me. My son went out an bought his first bag and disc's. My younger son is even getting into it as we play more. My wife is having issues throwing so hopefully I can get her straightened out so she will enjoy it more although if my sons are happy she is also.

Here is a blog i am writing and as I progress and get caught up I hope to add more of our family experiences and detail than just a review of the course. Sorry i am not the best writer but hopefully someone will enjoy reading it.

Disc Golf family Travels

great blog! having the family along for the ride would be a great feeling. i was playing a round this last weekend and i saw 3 different families playing. little kids everywhere enjoying the sunny day.

thx for sharing!

Yea went to shilito but just felt cramped or something. It was a tuesday evening and it felt like we were throwing on people as well as people throwing on us especially in the front 9. Back nine was not bad though except I was just having a super bad round so that kind of messed with my experience. We skipped veterans to save for another day and went to Riney B.

If you would have came to Veterans, we were playing singles leagues. Veterans is my favorite course here.... Riney is a close second. It is really hit or miss at Riney. Just depends if the park is mowed or not.... or if it is wet/dry.... and mosquitos. Next time you are down and want to hit up Veterans send me a pm.

If you would have came to Veterans, we were playing singles leagues. Veterans is my favorite course here.... Riney is a close second. It is really hit or miss at Riney. Just depends if the park is mowed or not.... or if it is wet/dry.... and mosquitos. Next time you are down and want to hit up Veterans send me a pm.

Sure will!! WE are trying to get out and hit as many courses as we can this year so I do imagine we will be back down that way at some point.

Riney B was not bad but the grass was a bit long and some of the baskets were not in the proper place. I guess they made some temp holes that we didn't know about. Other than that it was pretty dry and the woods were not to bad because all the underbrush was dead.

I love seeing families out disc golfing, it's a really positive way to grow the sport and helps out our image a ton when trying to sell new courses to parks departments. It's also a whole lot better way to spend a nice day than sitting in front of the tv, sounds you're building that habit for your kids of being outside and active. :thmbup:

Great Job getting the fam out! Riney pins were in the tournament 18 placement. We are still waiting to get 3 more baskets to make it a 27 hole course. Anyway... enjoy getting out to some new courses.

Hmmmm. well I haven't been playing long. We aren't having the beware of beavers tourney this year for multiple reasons. There are still signs of beaver, but I have heard that it isn't as bad as what it used to be. One of the new holes does bring a pond into play... I don't know if that is where the beavers are now. I haven't seen any dam work back there.

On a side note, we are in the ending stages of bringing a new course to Lexington. Hopefully, we will get to put it in the ground by Thanksgiving :clap:

Every time I've ever taken my wife on a round with me, it has been no fun.
The dog never complains, though, so he's always welcome!

I'm still trying to get my wife to come out an play. Perhaps when it's not so hot.

I'm SOOOOOOO jealous. My wife used to play years ago with me but now I can't pay her to go out with me. I take my 2 yr old and he enjoys throwing discs but it's not really the same. I spend half my time chasing him out of the woods. Hopefully, he'll continue loving throwing discs and as he grows up continue to go to courses with me.

Congrats on a whole family of disc golfers!!

My five year old regularly accompanies me on casual rounds, and I've pushed the baby once in her stroller. My wife's dealing with complications in her wrists atm, and refuses to throw, and I don't push the issue. The five year old, though, may make a decent dg'er in the years to come. We'll see, I guess.

My wife and I have been going to Peace Park every Saturday morning for the past 4 weeks. Almost all 9 holes are in the shade and it only takes 10-15 minutes a round. She has a good time so I'm happy.

My wife and I have been going to Peace Park every Saturday morning for the past 4 weeks. Almost all 9 holes are in the shade and it only takes 10-15 minutes a round. She has a good time so I'm happy.

:confused:

I thought that was a typo or an error at first.
Then I checked out the course.
I believe you now.
9 holes averaging < 100' / hole. :eek:
How long is the trip to the park?

To update this a bit. I have added another post and my son is now reaching close to 300'. He can almost out throw me. Ahhh to be young. What is cool now is that he decided to go to a university close by so we can continue our adventures more often since he will be close to home!!

I want to get my wife out to practice more so that she has more fun. She still enjoys it but hopefully I can get here form better so she can throw further.

Latest posts