• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Fantasy Hole Design (part II)

What if the double moat was a dry moat? (trenchworks)
What if instead of a moat (fall risk) it was an opposite moat (raised above grade)?
Raised above grade... Well then why not a hedgerow instead of earthworks?
Well.. If a double hedgerow... Would it have to be low enough to be able to see if players are "in" the green to avoid being thrown upon?
Then what if the partitions were pole fences (see through)? Then is it too gimmicky by esthetic?
Hmmm.... How about rolling berms instead of earthworks or hedgerows?
Water collection? Muddy mess?

...thinking about it ... questions
I like hypothetical design concept discussions.

I was thinking a "farm course" ought to have a basket on top of a barn, with a weather vane sticking out of the top of it. I combined that idea with line-of-play bunkers in the form of garden beds. Here's what I got.

http://www.marcandsara.com/2014/09/02/basket-on-a-barn/

I saw somewhere on this site a hole that had a 10-12 foot tall lighthouse with a basket on top. Once the disc went into the basket it slid down a chute to the bottom of the lighthouse. It was very cool.

Here's another idea. I think it would be an easy way to transform a wide open green into a challenging green that would showcase sponsors.

http://www.marcandsara.com/2014/09/02/ring-of-square-banners/

I like it but the best line would be through the gap with the bridges (basically solid ground) so, the bridges should be staggered so as to not be in a line and neither should be the a mild-moderate hyzer route from the t-box. Lastly, to avoid making the spike hyzer too easy, the backside of the basket should be a roll-away, causing the player to decide whether to risk skimming the 10' 'fence' top to land short of the basket on flat ground (hence stick) or risk rolling on the back side.

I dig it. I used to live up in Charlevoix and I could see somebody pulling this off too

How about a hole where you throw through a bunch of trees to a basket buried in a tank? Flags on both sides would allow potential ricochets into the basket. A sand bag island would elevate the basket making it easy to see from the tee pad. It might look something like this:

IMG_20140910_063251_zpskb7iahfj.jpg
[/IMG]

On the old, home-grown, now extinct Massey Palace course, there was a basket in the barn loft doorway. On the accompanying Hidden Valley course, there was a hanging basket that could slid on the cable from one side of the fairway to the other.

Latest posts