• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Fast-Filling Events

Pretty much every model we have for disc golf is currently inadequate. Most will catch up fairly quickly but for the time being we are all walking untrodden ground in respect to demand.

Yes.

Untrodden ground in respect to supply, too.

In that there are now enough tournaments in many places, that players have options if they are kept out of a specific event for reasons other than losing the internet dash.

What I would do is define "first-come, first-served" to indicate that a player cannot be dropped from the event by a TD just to get someone else in that the TD favors.

In a previous hobby life, entries to a popular racing series would sell out in seconds or crash the website from people trying to buy. The last several years they've offered a gold pass, where you can buy entry into 3-5 events at the start of the season prior to registration for any single events opening. This works fairly well because it gives the folks committed to the series a chance ahead of time to ensure they can attend the events they want, while the folks who only want to visit the series for a single event know they have to take their chances hitting that F5 key with all the other casuals. From an organizer perspective I'd imagine it also helps give a little piece of mind knowing you already have X amount of people committed to each event.

Obviously having this many interested competitors is great for the sport from a competition aspect, but I'm sure it's stressful for TD's trying to meet the communities demands.

I was having a discussion with a local td that hosts 5 or so events a year. He was telling me he doesn't need to host more because there are already events every weekend from other tds. In my head I'm thinking, they all fill up the day registration opens, we need a lot more events. Who cares if there is already another event going on.

It may have been addressed but my question is have you td'd an event?

It takes time(unpaid time) to run an event and a lot of work on the backend. Before you question someone who runs 5 events as to why they don't run more, pick up the TD hat and run some event.

There are a lot of people that want more events but not a lot of people jumping to run said events they want.

Several thoughts:
1. Charging more or auctioning spots is one way to narrow the market, but would be careful about excluding people with limited resources. Just not a direction I want to go. It's a tension, I know. Maybe limit the number of spots that are "bought", as some have suggested.
2. One thing I have always supported is reserving spots for active (work day active) club members.
3. In tension with #1 above, is allowing the TD to take some $$ for his/her time. I know it's "legal", but it most areas it is seen as predatory or just plain bad form. This might encourage more tourneys in places that could benefit.
4. Also would love to see some small percentage of spots reserved for Pros. Traveling Pros are a draw for spectators and would like to see a way for previous winners and traveling Pros to get in some of these quickly filling tourneys.
5. I am aware that all of these can and have been abused. Just dreaming a bit...
Note: I have TD'd a few non-sanctioned events, as fundraisers. Had to stop because my work schedule changed to rotating shifts.

Last edited:
Can one/some of our TD members explain why anyone runs an event that costs them time and money out of pocket?

love/pride/ego/pure foolishness come to mind immediately...

I get it. I could see it if there was a payoff for something such as a charity or for the local club to improve courses in the area. Does that happen? If it's just a net loser then I'm still hard pressed to understand it, especially with this level of demand.

Despite the issues with discgolftom, I think he was right about the demand. And with this level of demand, running tournaments should have a payoff to the sport more than just swag bags for players and such.

I get it. I could see it if there was a payoff for something such as a charity or for the local club to improve courses in the area. Does that happen? If it's just a net loser then I'm still hard pressed to understand it, especially with this level of demand.

Despite the issues with discgolftom, I think he was right about the demand. And with this level of demand, running tournaments should have a payoff to the sport more than just swag bags for players and such.

It is only a net loser if you do it wrong (which many of us did for many years). On the other hand it is also not much of a money maker for the time that goes in either. The general atmosphere at this point is much more conducive to TD's making a little dough than it was years ago. The player base has grown to such a degree that there are now a significant number of players who recognize that there is some value in organized competition in and of itself. 15 years ago that was much less the case.

It is only a net loser if you do it wrong (which many of us did for many years). On the other hand it is also not much of a money maker for the time that goes in either. The general atmosphere at this point is much more conducive to TD's making a little dough than it was years ago. The player base has grown to such a degree that there are now a significant number of players who recognize that there is some value in organized competition in and of itself. 15 years ago that was much less the case.

In a way, it's worse to make a little money, because at some point you may sit down and realize that you earned $2.15 per hour. It's almost better to lose money, and call your labor "charity".

Can one/some of our TD members explain why anyone runs an event that costs them time and money out of pocket?

Why does anyone ever throw a party in their home? All the expense, all the preparation, all the worry, all the cleanup?

Answer: I have no idea. But thankfully some people do.

In a way, it's worse to make a little money, because at some point you may sit down and realize that you earned $2.15 per hour. It's almost better to lose money, and call your labor "charity".

I was a farmer for many years before going full time on disc golf so making a sub-minimum "wage" isn't all that much different... :p

Why does anyone ever throw a party in their home? All the expense, all the preparation, all the worry, all the cleanup?

Answer: I have no idea. But thankfully some people do.

I throw a party in my home for friends and family.

I throw a rave, I'm doing it for profit.

Even so, I get the idea of doing an event without personal profit. Just have a hard time coming out of pocket for such an event.

Note, these questions are a response to comments you guys that TD are making. I hope they don't seem critical. Your efforts are a big reason we are having this conversation at all—meaning they are core to the sports growth.

Didn't seem critical at all.

The party metaphor is the best I can come up with, particularly during my "Why am I doing this?" moments. Lots of the people who will show up are my friends, and others may become so. I go to tournaments where some of them are throwing the same sort of party for me.

That metaphor works a lot better for local events, than higher-tier tournament.s

A lot of people that run events do so for their local club. In most cases, the club does make money and puts it back into the local community, but the TD doesn't make anything, in fact, they pay to be a member of the club and then donate their time.

You do also have individuals/companies running events and they do in fact make money, but as stated before once it's broken down you are probably talking about less than minimum wage for a lot of those TDs.

Then you also have TDs/companies that have figured out how to make quite a bit of money running events and have made it their full-time job.

Those last folks are most likely the ones that will jump on adding events, that is if they have any time for additional events. A lot of times those folks are already running at max capacity to still be able to host quality events.

Not being a TD, but knowing some. Reasons for being a TD...

1. Grow the sport
2. Enjoy tournaments and some TDs play in their own tournament
3. Have a sponsorship that 'requires' you to run tournaments
4. Makes money off the side.....selling items (discs, shirts, etc)
5. Runs a raffle where a percent may go to defraying the cost of the tournament (like a 50/50).

I'm sure there are other reasons, but those are some that I have seen or heard about. Number 3 is a big reason for running a tournament. I think (but not positive) that Infinite Discs requires the people it sponsors to run a tournament and Infinite Discs sets up a booth at the tournament.

Not being a TD, but knowing some. Reasons for being a TD...

1. Grow the sport
2. Enjoy tournaments and some TDs play in their own tournament
3. Have a sponsorship that 'requires' you to run tournaments
4. Makes money off the side.....selling items (discs, shirts, etc)
5. Runs a raffle where a percent may go to defraying the cost of the tournament (like a 50/50).

I'm sure there are other reasons, but those are some that I have seen or heard about. Number 3 is a big reason for running a tournament. I think (but not positive) that Infinite Discs requires the people it sponsors to run a tournament and Infinite Discs sets up a booth at the tournament.

#2 was a big deal, about 20 years ago. If you wanted a tournament to happen at your local course so you could play in it, you had to make it happen yourself.

love/pride/ego/pure foolishness come to mind immediately...

To expand on the "love" aspect, some of us simply like to see things done well that we enjoy. Some of the best SoCal TDs - and we have some very good ones - are all about pleasure and competency as something in itself and a gift to a lot of friends.

Latest posts