• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Favorite 23mm Distance Driver?

Favorite 13 speeder?!

• Energy

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Nitro

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Octane

Votes: 18 24.3%
  • Catalyst

Votes: 12 16.2%
  • havent tried them yet...

Votes: 40 54.1%

• Total voters
Octane is what you seek. Disc goes far. Real far. I think you throw a little further than me, if you want to release it flat you probably want to go max weight. They start out slightly OS and beat into something that goes boom. It has the turn/distance of a nice destroyer but the fade of something like a wraith, as in the Innova one. Very subtle and at the end of the flight.

I have thrown 500 with a Bolt, But typically I get about 380-420 with a full power-drive, I throw 170+ for all my discs.

I get the Inertia and Wrath out pretty good, but those are for control. I bombed a Skryke like ~450 recently. So I do have an arm, but really, its not Huge, and I'd prefer control anyway. I thought Octane was what I wanted. I like Neutron the most, how do N Octanes fly? I'll do my own research, but just thought I'd ask. Maybe 170g N Octane, see what that does. :thmbup::popcorn:

haha I'll be honest, typically my drives are probably 350-380. But on a soccer field I can get 400++ for sure.

Last edited:
Oh so you're about the same as me. I've hit 450 on a soccer field but really am about 400 on the course lol. The Octane I had was a 170? 169? Something like that Neutron and was just a hair too US for me to release flat. I think a max weight would be a great release flat, subtle turn subtle fade kinda disc. They'll get out about 1/3 the way of the flight on the line you put it on, drift for like half of the second third, then hold that line until the very end, then fade left a little bit, just right of center. And everyone knows the pink ones fly the farthest :thmbup:

Last edited:
My 174 N Octane was Essintially a Star Destroyer with a slightly milder fade.

I have thrown 500 with a Bolt, But typically I get about 380-420 with a full power-drive, I throw 170+ for all my discs.

I get the Inertia and Wrath out pretty good, but those are for control. I bombed a Skryke like ~450 recently. So I do have an arm, but really, its not Huge, and I'd prefer control anyway. I thought Octane was what I wanted. I like Neutron the most, how do N Octanes fly? I'll do my own research, but just thought I'd ask. Maybe 170g N Octane, see what that does. :thmbup::popcorn:

haha I'll be honest, typically my drives are probably 350-380. But on a soccer field I can get 400++ for sure.

I don't have quite your field distance, but my typical golf drives are similar to yours (375 - 390). The Neutron Octane I have flies similarly to a GStar Destroyer (pretty sure it's 171g although I'd have to check to be sure). I'd say it doesn't have quite as much turn as my Shrykes do. If the Shryke is a -2, the Octane is probably between a -1 and a -1.5. I use my Octane mostly in field practice but I could definitely swap it in for a GStar (or lightly seasoned Pro) Destroyer without noticing much difference.

I wouldn't use a fresh Octane for an open hole absolute distance drive because it doesn't have quite as much turn as something like a Shryke or Tern or Destiny. The Octane for me would be used more as a go-to distance driver where you want some turn but you still want it to finish left. Hope that helps!

Catalyst is a true "beat" *ds IMO.

The octane reminds me of a "good" *ds when new.

(max wt are more HSS)

Lost my Neutron Catalyst last week so I took my Octane out too and tried my old New and beat Star Wraiths. And well...

I just ordered a new Proton Catalyst.

I'm with Aim on the disc descriptions. I used to be all neutron but I've got a real beat in proton photon that is so money now. I'm hoping to get that same improved feeling after I beat in the proton catalyst. Probably end up getting a proton Octane too.

IMO Nitro is a faster, more OS *D, Defy is pretty close to a good *D, and an Octane would be a well seasoned *D. I've never seen a premium plastic Destroyer fly like a Catalyst.

IMO Nitro is a faster, more OS *D, Defy is pretty close to a good *D, and an Octane would be a well seasoned *D. I've never seen a premium plastic Destroyer fly like a Catalyst.
One of the mvp pros sayed to me that defy is a speed 11.5 star destroyer pretty much.

only thrown the catalyst a couple time. bombed them would not compare to destroyer unless the destroyer was beat to crap. think tern or nuke ss.

I've been curious for a while. Is there a real BOMBER disc for MVP/Axiom? I'm looking for a disc that's like a Nice BEAT Destroyer, or like a Inertia stability that goes FAR. ?

Bc some of you cant read.
Wave/vanish/Catalyst all for this if you're not a torque monkey.

I just had an easy tap in 3 on a hole throwing the catalyst on a slight hyzer flip then a high panning out anny. Two beautiful 400' throws that were not flippy at all. Yes it is understable but very workable like you find once a destroyer becomes very beat up. Sure it turns but should fade back with a little hyzer.

I throw the damn virus on pure hyzer lines tho so i dunno wtf some of you are doing lol.

The photon/defy/octane all fit a reg good ds just fine.

If Destroyers were remotely consistent then they'd be pretty close ;)
i thought that to myself as anyone else comparing destroyers to anything...

anyway. anyone got a flatter catalyst? id like to know if it gets less wind sensitive. i threw my 175g proton in the weakest headwind and it turned double the amount.. i dont have perfect release on my hyzer but still.

I own around 10 and they all are pretty much identical in proton across green yellow pink and red.

Havent seen any really flat 23mm like the other MVPs

I own around 10 and they all are pretty much identical in proton across green yellow pink and red.

Havent seen any really flat 23mm like the other MVPs
Thats the reason why i throw mvp^^' atleast my neutron octanes is flat at the top of the dome.my proton catalyst got an even dome.

People dealing with actual domey MVP drivers for the first time, more glide and less fade with typically lower PLH that comes with higher dome.

I have 4 hand picked Insanity's that have some real dome, as much as my 2 Vanish. 2 of the Insanity's are Neutron, and 2 are Plasma. To say they own my flat-ish Inertias in glide would be an understatement.