• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Compare] Favorite Mid Range to Forehand

I have no respect for Forehanderers - NOLA

Why? Cause we have the advantage of Looking at our shots instead of having to drop your head to drive? Don't hate!
It's just a style for people who played a lot of baseball and already have muscle memory and motor skills for that shot. Don't cry because we get a head start and advantage. You'd have to be stupid not to take advantage of a skill that can help your score?
Anyway. Enjoy yourself and know that no one cares about your self imposed superiority.
Just seems so wack to take aim at a skill?

I have no respect for Forehanderers - NOLA
Why? Cause we have the advantage of Looking at our shots instead of having to drop your head to drive? Don't hate!
It's just a style for people who played a lot of baseball and already have muscle memory and motor skills for that shot. Don't cry because we get a head start and advantage. You'd have to be stupid not to take advantage of a skill that can help your score?
Anyway. Enjoy yourself and know that no one cares about your self imposed superiority.
Just seems so wack to take aim at a skill?

hooked1.jpg

Buzzz is a great disc to forehand. I used it on this hole for a long time. Maybe it's the distance that is in my head. The pin seems too far for a gentle poke. I DO prefer a non-beaded midrange for forehands. They just feel better in the hand, better glide (imo), and a low profile helps. It appears beads are not a problem for a lot of the players around here. I do like the flight of a Wasp/Roc3 (crazy similar, imo). Does the Zone have a bead? I've also had success with a Judge forehand. It's like a Wizard but the low profile gives a cleaner release.

The Zone has no bead. It's a smooth, rounded bottom just like the Buzzz. I don't like beaded for FH either. It's tough to get the disc to release smooth. I have big, rough, calloused hands. That probably has something to do with it.

I have the same problem turning over mids with a forehand when trying to get them out long. I think it's because they have deeper rims on the inside that really allow you to over torque them when driving with 2 fingers instead of your hole hand. I think the fact that your even considering this shot means your a great fore hander with great technique. I just think that's going to be a tough shot to make without a disc designed for a forehand throw that would have a shallower rim to keep you from getting so much oAT or whatever? At least it seems to me that mids and putters allow your your fingers applying all the torque to rest to high above the Plh or center of gravity for the disc. Most discs, or all maybe, are designed with back hand in mine? If there are some forehand designed discs. I'd love to hear about them.

For a shot like the op has asked about, I use the Hornet, too, of the Zone if the holes a bit shorter. I'm not forehand expert, but I get the most consistent flight with these.

Meaning... I probably do need to clean up my forehand form. ;)

this is a good topic because I don't really have a mid that I like forehanding. When I used to use Buzzzes, they were pretty good. Zone is also ok being noob friendly. MD2 is pretty good for that too.
I don't have a disc that's amazing for fh though. Usually I just like to flick a light champ beast, or my eagle or destroyer.

I FH a lot of mids anywhere from 150-250 ft. Can hit most lines with my 400G M4 or Z Buzzz. For OS lines I use a Z Zone. I prefer beadless mids for FH as I get cleaner releases with no bead.

I'm a forehand dominant player, so I throw all of my mids FH.

It's just a matter of finding which you are most comfortable with and which ones fit the shot best.

It sounds like you've already found your answer in the Hornet. I have one and like it as well. If that's the disc that works for the shot you need, great.

Sometimes I want a harder fade and use a Drone, sometimes I want a little understability and use a Buzzz. Sometimes I go full out Meteor for anhyzer forehands. (Yes, my anhyzer forehand is much more reliable than a normal fading backhand).

I have several sets of mids from different companies, a full Lat 64 lineup, DD, MVP, Discraft and a few Prodigy. They all work. I like a shallower rim on a lot of them but MVP has the smoothest release because there's no flashing on the bottom. They all fly just as well so it's a matter of finding the right amount of stability for your shot and finding one that fits well in the hand.

Latitude 64 Trident, Discraft Buzzz and the Discraft Hornet is what I like to use.

To be honest I wouldn't place the Trident in there,because of it's tweener status,but it's still pretty killer to forehand.

As a fellow forehand-dominant player, I'll put in a vote for a fresh Buzzz - the heavier ones might suit your needs. The glow Buzzzes seem a touch more stable to me than the other plastics. If you're comfortable with the distance, the Shark3s are pretty sweet as well...

Lol at my distances on sidearm, a max and a judge are only 40-50ft apart lol. I don't often reach for a mid to sidearm, usually it's a zone or suspect.

Champ Glow Roc3 works nicely here. Pretty overstable in comparison to most other Roc3s, but it still has a fair bit of glide.

The moonshine verdict is an AMAZING disc for forehand flick shots.I also got fed up with different mid-ranges turning over, and going left on me when I put some heat on it. FINALLY,I found the moonshine Verdict. You can rip it full strength sidearm, and it won't flip over! It is flies absolutely straight as an arrow!!! I've only had it for 2 weeks and I've hit basket on three drivers off the tee!! It's my new favorite disc right now.I highly recommend it!!

Latest posts