• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

FH Approach Shots

Timeetyo

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Starting with some background - up until recently I've not really had a decent FH shot with only being able to get a serviceable shot with my firebird (I know its a crutch - only so many hrs in the day to practice) when I needed that L>R shot. I also would do ok with random get out of jail short shots that I sadly get too much practice with on the course. Trying a normal FH with putters never worked as I could never get a decent release with the deep dish. Mids didn't feel right. And US drivers were just OAT'd over.

Then I recently got a chief in a players pack. Such an odd disc as its a super shallow, super flat putter. Messing around in the yard I tried to FH it and wow - finally a putter I can flick. The past few times out on the course I've been using it to flick on approaches <200 throwing both this and my normal approach putters (either shield or summit). What stood out to me is that on these approach shots I've been CTP with the FH shot more often than my standard backhand approaches. I can't wait to see how this goes as I get more practice with it.

So for those of you with a decent FH - assuming the line allows it do you prefer to flick on approaches?

Oh - and as a side note. A weeks worth of putter flicking has sure helped with my form. For the fun of it I tried flicking my sidewinder today and actually had some nice S curves instead of the OAT turnover mess it would have been before. Definitely going to keep experimenting with this.

Depends on what the safest line to the basket is, but when I do forehand I usually use my zone. A great flick approach disc.

Depends on what the safest line to the basket is, but when I do forehand I usually use my zone. A great flick approach disc.

Let me simplify as there are obviously approaches where your line is dictated:

Scenario 1 - 175' Wide open field type approach. Do you:
A - BH and fade it in.
B - BH straight at it.
C - FH and fade it in.

Scenario 2 - 175' Guardian tree blocking direct approach. Equally safe FH or BH routes open. Do you:
A - BH hyzer
B - FH hyzer

I think you are right on with the putters. I love my Ion and my JK pro for FH approaches and I generally go a little nose up and a bit hyzer (for that occasional OAT).

A lot of great players tend to say you should be able to FH all of your discs, because when done right, it all feels the same to the disc. But of course I'm not pro so I go with flat top rocs and my stable putters

The DGA Breaker is my goto FH approach disc. Small diameter and shallow, it allows for some flat footed flicks with pinpoint accuracy. I'm a little biased since I almost always flick, but I've had nothing but success with it.

FH approaches are a key tool for me, including understable stuff and hyzer flips. Sometimes the approach line is just better suited to it. Or I find myself reaching out from thick rough on the left, where a RHBH stance would be nearly impossible. I think people who only throw overstable discs for FH are missing some useful flight patterns. Totally worthwhile to develop it! :thmbup:

Last edited:
It honestly depends on the distance. I would rather rely on something I can control to hold a slight anhyzer then have a soft fade at the end (aka backhand my TI Challenger) however an upshot over 200 and depending on the line I will take out my buzz or buzz os depending on the line/ sharpness of the angle. Both are flat and low profile and mastering the flick with a buzz can be very useful on the course as the glide helps the carry and the skip is minimal at the end.

Finally, something here I can contribute to! I love flicking my beat up Firebird for approaches; it's the oldest disc in my bag and it's just completely dialed in at this point. However I've been throwing a lot more understable stuff for flicks in the past year. One that's been really useful for me is my Comet. There's two shots that it's perfect for. You can throw big annies with that glide forever to get around trees and whatnot, or my favorite, put it nose-up with a little hyzer and it'll float right up to the pin.

I've also tried flicking my putters as well, but the Comet and Firebird cover most of the flick approaches I need.

A - BH and fade it in.
B - BH straight at it.
C - FH and fade it in.

Scenario 2 - 175' Guardian tree blocking direct approach. Equally safe FH or BH routes open. Do you:
A - BH hyzer
B - FH hyzer

If the lines are equally open, then I let wind and slope conditions determine if I approach BH or FH. Assuming everything is flat and calm, I will throw whichever I am more comfortable with on the particular day. If this is hole ten and I've thrown more BH than FH approaches on the front nine, I'll probably go ahead and BH the approach on ten as well.

FH anhyzer with the envy is my main shot within 180, and I'm BH dominant off the tee. I find it easier to range than BH and for some reason the anny is more natural to me on weak shots.

FH approaches are a key tool for me, including understable stuff and hyzer flips. Sometimes the approach line is just better suited to it. Or I find myself reaching out from thick rough on the left, where a RHBH stance would be nearly impossible. I think people who only throw overstable discs for FH are missing some useful flight patterns. Totally worthwhile to develop it! :thmbup:

this

I flick a putter for 90%+ of my short approach shots. To me no other shot has the finesse and range-ability as a standstill putter flick.

I do approaches with an RFF Wizard backhand and with a BT Soft Harp forehand it's pretty equal either way, I just go with the right shot for the situation.

I have a disc I prefer for everything FH and BH and just try to pick the right line. The only exception to this is for max d my FH is a little better so I'll go with a FH bomb for max d.

FH disc /BH Disc
Wizard Harp
Drone Roc3
Tachyon Teebird
Firebird Hu
Ape Katana

I'm a big fan of the breaker / zone short flicks. I'm no master by any means but given your scenerio's I could see throwing stand still flicks on both with a breaker...

I love Pro D Ringers for short FH approaches and drives. I am a FH dominant player and the trick that unlocked clean distance with my Putters FH was playing catch throwing FH wih a flippy dog disc. I started doing this on a weekly basis with my Dad for fun and all the sudden I was FH'ing my putters A LOT cleaner.

A - BH and fade it in.
B - BH straight at it.
C - FH and fade it in.

A - BH hyzer
B - FH hyzer

Honestly, in both scenarios, probably backhand. But with wind and elevation added in as a factor, I will throw forehand if it's in my favor.

i'm BH dominant for approach but the touch on my FH upshot has gotten a lot better and i'm using it more. it really depends on what the angle of the green is and whether or not i am just trying to lay up or maybe take a run at the chains.

i just tried using a one finger grip on shorter FH shots and the difference is phenomenal. i highly suggest trying it to anyone who is trying to add the shot to their bag.

I'm with Mike C here. Probably more than 80% of my short approaches are with putter flicks. Primarily the Zone, but I'm not shy about FH'ing my Wizards either. For me the FH flick is much easier to control and gauge from a standstill.