• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Field Work

isualum12

Last night I went out for some field work. I wanted to understand a couple things. 1. What each of my discs where really doing coming out of my hand (what is a speed 6 vs 9 doing for me) can I tell the difference between a 152g and 174g? 2. Distance between my backhand and forehand. (Keep in mind I'm a newbie with slow arm speed and I don't have great distance yet.)

Set up- I took a 200 ft measuring tape out and measured of 300ft total marking every 20 feet with a cone. (Yes the whole thing got marked because I threw one direction and then threw back the other.)
This was of course in a straight line.

Throwing- I threw 13 discs all different speeds glide turn weight etc. I would throw all 13 with the same throw (backhand or forehand).

Data- I recorded each disc and it's stats (weight, speed, glide etc) once I had thrown I would walk out to a disc and record it's distance and measure from center. Example: Teebird- 210R12, 210 foot throw 10ft right from center. I did this for each disc (all 13). Collect up the discs and repeat.

What I found when throwing 13 discs in a row was you could make minor wrist and arm adjustments and immediately see the difference on the next shot.

By the end the sheet looked like this I also noted F for forehand or B for backhand on the round of 13
TeeBird 210R12, 243R15, 240L5
Witness 185L20, 180L3, 161R10
Roadrunner 241L20, 210L5, 230R12

I haven't analyzed how each disc performed yet and I'm not sure I can considering the adjustments I made with my wrist from round to round. I am throwing further forehand right now on a consistent bases.

What does everyone else do for field work?

Last edited:
You're not going to see much difference from speed 7 to higher speed yet. Once the speed 7 stuff is pushing 280+ then you might see 300ish out of something like a Roadrunner. But typically people hit a 300ish barrier when mids are in that 270ish range and any sort of driver won't go farther than another sort of driver. It's all form and velocity related.

Once you break through that, then expect to see roughly 10-15% between disc classes. It really depends on the thrower or type of player like clean form vs. torque vs. spinny vs. power. But for typical AM distances for example, expect 270 putter 300 mid 330 fairway 350-360 distance driver.

I threw into a radar gun and 150 class was maybe 1MPH faster than 170's. The velocity difference is small for most power levels, but they do glide and fly a bit different. I find them much more inconsistent in release and flight for myself though, but they are capable of some very long and glidey shots.

Also in general OS discs fly shorter because they don't glide and they seek the ground. So for example expect an OS speed 7 fairway in a similar distance range to your straight midranges. Then most neutral speed 7's will fly the same distance relative to each other or within 10'...brand doesn't matter, they are all similar discs. Slight preferences are fun but really once you know how to throw you can throw anything. The harder you throw the farther all discs go.

Also all discs no matter the speed fly the same velocity out of your hand...how hard you throw is up to your mechanics. Just if you measured it 200' away a putter would have lost way more speed than a speed 13 driver.

responding to the op's actual question:

i set a simple goal for the session.
i keep the session short.
i use all the same mold at about the same weights.
i focus on quality of execution, not quantity of repetition.
i remind myself how fortunate i am to be able to indulge myself thusly...

Last edited:

I set out cones as targets at different distances 200' 250' 300' and play darts, throwing each disc on its normal flight.

I like what you're doing, keep it up and you will truly know your discs better than most that just "play disc golf". You will notice it on courses you are unfamiliar with by hitting better lines and better judging of distances. If you plan to play competitively on out-of-town courses you will have an advantage over those who don't do field work IMO.

Last edited:
I also regularly compare my one-step and x-step approaches. I got rid of my x-step because it adds little distance but much inaccuracy for me. I plan to work it back in but so far my field sessions tell me not yet.

I have a target I am trying to throw at or down. I have used a soccer goal for both, target is simple and if the goal is very far away I try to keep the disc between the posts for most of the flight. If I don't have a goal, my bag set out at whatever distance was always a great target. I used this a lot paced out to 350 with Udisc. I found 350 to be good for me because I could use drivers to be accurate, mids to get there on straight lines, and test my putter distance accuracy. This distance obviously will change for anyone. I have also stood at different distances from the side of a soccer goal and try to throw into the side net for consistency.

I have also done field work at a course as well by throwing every disc in my bag on every hole. This will teach you new lines to use some of yours discs on. This is how I started forehanding z wasps and kc rocs a long time ago. I also would learn backhand hyzers with very understable discs like Valkyries and Mambas. I highly suggest this at your home courses to get better.

I go to a football field and use the grid iron to help me see the distance O am throwing. I only use one mold at a time during field work. Throw it until I don't feel like throwing anymore.

Pretty much exactly how I do it, minus the cones and tape measure.
I throw ten at a time, because it's easier to keep track of ten than it is thirteen. I throw different weights and plastics of the same mold for most of my bag, so they all go towards the same target, or portable basket if I'm carrying it, but it's up to me to figure out the differences in each in making the flight to it.
I also mix up throwing from place, or I collect them and throw from the same spot. With throwing the range of discs I would probably use in a round. I also have ten opportunities to throw for accuracy with completely different shots.

Play disc golf.

I wish that was enough.

If there's anything I've learned over the past year (I dedicated this year to getting used to playing tournaments and really dialing in/improving my form) it's that field work is ESSENTIAL to improving.

The mindset of playing vs. fieldwork are so different, that you need time to change from practice mode to tournament mode. For me, it's like a full week to transition from one to the other. Totally different mindsets.

Fieldwork mindset: this is my form. what am I doing wrong? how do I fix that? what can I do to change that? what do I focus on during the throw to make my muscle memory change? what am I seeing vs what am I feeling happen?

Tournament mindset: this is my form. I trust it completely and don't have to put any thought into how I throw. I focus intensely on my target and throw it.

I decide what I want to work on: turnovers, hyzers, forehand, tunnel shots, distance, pinpoint spike hyzers, headwind, crosswind, downwind, forehand flip to flat, pinpoint distance control with mids, etc.

Then I go practice that shot, sometimes it's a couple of shots.
Then I practice putting.

Normally for fieldwork I go through this routine:

- start at one end of the field and unload the whole bag, with a flat/neutral release
-collect all the discs and do the same thing, opposite direction
- repeat for hyzer release and anhyzer release
- pick a target and try to throw as close as possible with each disc on its "natural" line
- repeat opposite wind direction

So normally 6 or 8 times through the bag. That's a lot of throws, but you really learn your discs and lines.

Thanks for the feed back

You're not going to see much difference from speed 7 to higher speed yet. Once the speed 7 stuff is pushing 280+ then you might see 300ish out of something like a Roadrunner. But typically people hit a 300ish barrier when mids are in that 270ish range and any sort of driver won't go farther than another sort of driver. It's all form and velocity related.

Once you break through that, then expect to see roughly 10-15% between disc classes. It really depends on the thrower or type of player like clean form vs. torque vs. spinny vs. power. But for typical AM distances for example, expect 270 putter 300 mid 330 fairway 350-360 distance driver.

I threw into a radar gun and 150 class was maybe 1MPH faster than 170's. The velocity difference is small for most power levels, but they do glide and fly a bit different. I find them much more inconsistent in release and flight for myself though, but they are capable of some very long and glidey shots.

Also in general OS discs fly shorter because they don't glide and they seek the ground. So for example expect an OS speed 7 fairway in a similar distance range to your straight midranges. Then most neutral speed 7's will fly the same distance relative to each other or within 10'...brand doesn't matter, they are all similar discs. Slight preferences are fun but really once you know how to throw you can throw anything. The harder you throw the farther all discs go.

Also all discs no matter the speed fly the same velocity out of your hand...how hard you throw is up to your mechanics. Just if you measured it 200' away a putter would have lost way more speed than a speed 13 driver.

I set out cones as targets at different distances 200' 250' 300' and play darts, throwing each disc on its normal flight.

I like what you're doing, keep it up and you will truly know your discs better than most that just "play disc golf". You will notice it on courses you are unfamiliar with by hitting better lines and better judging of distances. If you plan to play competitively on out-of-town courses you will have an advantage over those who don't do field work IMO.

Really good point on the course your not familiar with.

I am a bigger guy so I was thinking I needed to be throwing max weight and max speed and while I got good at doing so I started becoming inconsistent.I went from throwing max ballistas to going down to escapes and explorers and I had a huge boost to my game.Always throw what's best for you,high speed doesnt always mean your gonna throw far.

I practice on the course. Throw different discs, try different lines, putt under actual playing conditions. It works for me.

Seen a great video today of field work. Forget who but she takes just her putters or just her mids or just drivers n practices every line with each disc to see how they hold or flip so when she gets to the course she kniws what disc to use for which line she wants..keep it simple n record what your disc likes to do on each shot..take your time and learn your discs!! Good luck

I wish that was enough.

If there's anything I've learned over the past year (I dedicated this year to getting used to playing tournaments and really dialing in/improving my form) it's that field work is ESSENTIAL to improving.

Sounds like you have the recipe for reaching your goals.

My goals for disc golf are:
1. Have fun
2. Hang out with my buddies

I don't play in tournaments or leagues and rarely even keep score. So field work is not required for me to achieve my goals.

Latest posts