• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Figuring out the dye process

eky81

Birdie Member
So I'm relatively new to this site, but I have been dying discs for about 6 months now. It has been quite a learning process. I found my first information off the homepage to this website. (oh how I wish I had gone to the forums. :oops: ) My first disc was an elaborate scull on an ace of spades. I used contact paper but had no Idea how to cut it out and put it on the disc. So I used my pumpkin carving method, and taped the picture to my contact paper and cut straight through the pattern and the contact paper. All the way through. I quickly realized that my method was going to make it very difficult to put the image on the disc the way I wanted. So in the end I got the pattern on, but negative of how I wanted. Then dyed the rest of the disc black with acetone and rit. The color was very splotchy and it bled horribly on the teeth. Unfortunately I lost the disc before I could take a picture. (Dang snow) Next a skeeter. Same method. Painted the acetone and rit with a small paintbrush.
300gsaq.jpg

Other than not centering the picture actually turned out quite good. Then tried some pumpkin carving patters. Still using the original cutout method so the color is opposite what I would like. Also tried painting with a thick brush. Bled like crazy.
155nko9.jpg

Actually did 2 like this both bled like crazy. I don't have a picture of the other one. Tried one more with this method going back to the thin paintbrush. Tried a statue of liberty. Another lost disc. (dang snow) No picture. Turned out well with very little bleed but very splotchy on the color. Finally found the forum section of this site and read acids tutorial. (Thanks Acid!) But I didn't want to cut on the disc. Also not enough water in the pan. Burned the disc. This was the last one that I used this method of cutting. Everything got stuck together and it's amazing I got it to come together as well as I did. The white spots are where I cut the pattern off the contact paper but left the tape.
20sypgg.jpg

After this disc I watched the video's by Chuck and Tim. (Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!) Tried my first disc using contact paper and masking tape as transfer tape. Masking tape is too sticky to work well as transfer tape. so I tore the contact paper in a few places. But over all. I really like this disc.
jqszg4.jpg

Tried again with a 2 color attempt this one worked very well.
r9k078.jpg

Now I wanted to try vinyl so I went to a local vinyl sign shop and paid way too much for scraps. Still used masking tape. Still too sticky. But I'm really happy with this one. It is the mascot for a local high school my daughter goes to. The Lancers.
wbovt3.jpg

Found out that one of my coworkers does vinyl signs on the side. He brought me some scrap vinyl and gave it to me for free. It wasn't sticky enough. And bled really bad. I used clear contact paper as transfer tape and it worked extremely well. That being said I actually still really like this one. But no more cheap free vinyl for me!
2u5uudl.jpg

So I went back to the higher quality vinyl used contact paper as transfer tape. followed all of Chucks directions, and finally got what I was trying to get all along.
20gch7b.jpg

Moral of the story. The guys on this forum know what they are talking about. And if you are willing to follow instructions most anyone can successfully dye disc too. :D

That firebird looks really wicked. Kudos to you for actually doing it and learning the ups and downs. I'm sure Chuck would agree with me that there's no substitution to actually DOING it and learning the mistakes in the process.
Once you learn, you learn what to avoid. And from then on you can start producing wicked sweet dyes and have more success with it.

You don't have to have complicated equipment to do this sort of work. Even before I had a plotter I was doing this stuff by hand.
I should change up the How-To to include cutting on a flat sheet and transferring it over. If you're looking for a good transfer paper and don't mind spending about 20-40 bucks, Go here. http://sign-supplies.signwarehouse.com/transfer-tape--category-R%252DTape-Clear-Conform
That's the brand that I use. It's VERY clear, it's low tach and will release your vinyl very easy when applying to a disc.
Order 100 yards and you'll be using it forever. I use it for my vinyl decals too.

AciDBatH666 said:
That firebird looks really wicked.

Don't take complements from this guy lightly, he's a beast =D

Nice work though. I am trying very hard NOT to get into this. I am broke enough as it is. :lol:

I like the pictorial evolution of your skills- it's easy to see the "lessons learned". Holy shit I've never seen a disc get cooked that bad- I bet that mistake will lead you to be an expert on controlling dye temperature in situ. Keep knocking 'em out!

FANTASTIC POST!

Details, explanations, and PICS! Every post should be like this.

Great work on those discs, your progression is evident by the pics, love to see the details get better and the lines sharper, can't wait to see your next pics, great stuff already!

Solid work dude, a clear evolution of skill :)

Sorry to hear that somebody made you pay for scrap vinyl. Maybe I've been just been lucky but a local sign shop has hooked me up for free with scraps. But on the other hand it has been cheaper vinyl and just like you I've found the cheaper stuff lends to a bleed or two. Keep up the good work, you'll only get better.

I forgot to mention one of the stages I went through with the whole learning to dye process. After getting totally frustrated with the whole acetone and dye process I tried to just Sharpie the image on. Actually looks pretty good. One nice thing about Sharpie's is you can use a metallic sharpie to color on a dark disc. here's a couple I did that way.
2qk8a49.jpg

My son also wanted me to post the disc he did. This was back when I was using a small brush with acetone and rit. He did everything himself. Including cutting, placing on disc and dying. He is 11. Going to be a future pro dyer. (and player :D )
5d5b7q.jpg

I 2nd that Chuck! I bet that thing looks wicked when it's flying, I like the disign a lot :D

Those dice look cool, almost like brushed metal. But do the metallic Sharpies leave a noticeable thickness?

No. I don't notice any thickness. Looks the same as any other sharpie. Don't know how well it would wear though. That disc hasn't been thrown since it was done. (The disc belongs to my son, and he has about 8 putters and doesn't really like that one.) It was this last years ace race disc. I think discraft calls it the focus now.

Another new disc. My oldest son is in the Army. So I made this one in honor of him. Might be interesting to play with this one as my home course is right next to an Air Force base. Have fighter jets flying over the course all the time. :D
ruzlhk.jpg

Another new one. First disc I tried to take all the way to the edge. A little bit of bleeding on the very edge. The wizard is kinda hard to get the vinyl to lay flat on the edge. :?
20p7ibs.jpg

A new disc done by my 12 year old son. He did everything himself, cut, placed vinyl, and put in the dye. Looks pretty good.
149bdd1.jpg

Another new one from me. I tried using elmers glue as a masking for the bullet holes. Takes a while while you let it dry. But actually worked pretty good. Here is a picture with the elmers glue on.
154wwv4.jpg

Here is the finished product.
5l709j.jpg

Latest posts