• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Final Round Radio - American Disc Golf Tour

My comment was on the payout issue.

The registration list is small beans compared to that but does relate.

If they are using part of the entry fee for payout it definitely matters how many have registered.

Also if they are going after sponsors, don't they need to be able to say that the top 10 ranked pros are going to be there?

Right and world tour has a commitment from #1. I wonder if he knew this tour was coming and still decided to put his efforts to the world tour. I think if any other company was to do this their would be a little bit more excitement. I have no issues with Salient but where there is smoke there is fire.

Last edited:
On the other hand, they are at last answering (some) questions and providing some information.

Among other things, the question about whether this is destined for ESPN3, or another ESPN network, is answered.

I love the progression of the ESPN part.

Live on ESPN!

Live on ESPN Networks!

Live on ESPN3!

Someday (maybe) on ESPN.

Ha! So if this fails, it isn't the fault of the ADGT organizers, everyone else is to blame. And look out everyone, if this doesn't succeed then it might be bad for the sport, so just forget about Salient's history and show up.

That's the same thing that stood out for me after just listening to the podcast at work today. Kinda pissed me off! This seems like a powder keg. :(

I love the progression of the ESPN part.

Live on ESPN!

Live on ESPN Networks!

Live on ESPN3!

Someday (maybe) on ESPN.

Heck, why not ESPN on ABC? GO NADS!

ESPN on ABC (formerly known as ABC Sports from 1961 to 2006) is the brand used for sports event and documentary programming televised on the American Broadcasting Company (ABC) in the United States.

I'm just waiting for Joe Localpro to win the American Open and declare himself the number one ranked Disc Golfer in America.

Im finally listening to this and yeah wow. This guy is going to blow it for us!

I dont think they are going to blow anything, but the biggest thing sticking in my craw is his attitude that it is every disc golfers responsibility to make the ADGT a success. It fits the "not our fault"M.O. of Salient perfectly, but it's a shame they are doing the same thing with this event (let's not call it a tour.)

I agree with the many others who have said if it was anyone else executing this, even as poorly as they have thus far, that it would be met with more fanfare. Seems a shame of a wasted opportunity.

Still don't get the obsession with being on ESPN as some kind of benchmark or validation for disc golf.

If you're playing disc golf for validation, you might be in it for the wrong reasons.

I just feel like all the "we aren't going to say" really is just code for I don't know and Im kind of in over my head... Just saying

The more I think about this the more frustrated I get with this whole idea. If viewership is a huge deal why did they push the very first event of the "tour" onto ESPN. From a logistical viewpoint it would have been smarter to see what the general reaction was to the "tour" as a whole and move forward from there. Why not live stream on youtube first to see if it is even worth the time and money to jump to live streaming on ESPN3. They are putting the horse before the cart and it seems as though it may blow up in their face.

The fact they aren't willing to talk payout structure is nuts. The reason everyone was so excited about ledgestone was because they made it very obvious the payout was going to be HUGE. While their excuse that more money MAY roll in as sponsorship increases may be legit it doesn't make me any more interested in it.

Going around the PDGA may have been their biggest mistake. If they had just stayed under that blanket I believe things would be different. The top pros and the average joes would know that if for some reason things didn't work out as planned at least they would have a legitimate organization to fall back on. It would also mean PDGA ratings for the event which matter to some people.

Even if this event does fail I do not believe it will reflect negatively on the disc golf community. This will not be the defining moment of our sport. This will be a small bump in the road if it goes wrong but could be a worthwhile excursion if it works out. Maybe the PDGA would be more willing to push for ESPN3 livestreams if the viewership is there. I guess we will have to wait and see.

The more I think about this the more frustrated I get with this whole idea. If viewership is a huge deal why did they push the very first event of the "tour" onto ESPN. From a logistical viewpoint it would have been smarter to see what the general reaction was to the "tour" as a whole and move forward from there. Why not live stream on youtube first to see if it is even worth the time and money to jump to live streaming on ESPN3. They are putting the horse before the cart and it seems as though it may blow up in their face.
Well, without the ESPN this would be just a random non-sanctioned event that is of no interest to anyone.

Actually, that pretty much summarizes the whole endeavor. :wall:

Well, without the ESPN this would be just a random non-sanctioned event that is of no interest to anyone.

Actually, that pretty much summarizes the whole endeavor. :wall:

It is of interest to a lot of people...in the same way a nasty car wreck is.

This is basically what the PDGA has already done. But rather than viewing it as a calculated omission, the Salient crew instead sees it as a great disservice to the disc golf community. So they now want to be the saviors that are finally bringing disc golf to ESPN. Once that happens, they'll get to sit back and collect on the fame and fortune that comes with making disc golf mainstream.

They expanded the invite list and Holly is now on the list, since she inquired about it on fb -- not sure if that means she will register or not.

Certainly a benchmark.

I don't know who's claiming a validation.

"See dad, I told you being a professional disc golfer was going to pay off. I'm going to be on ESPN. Some guy on the internet says that means pretty soon Nike will be sponsoring us..... Way better than going to Trade School."

Latest posts