• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Finally some video footage, please critique!

SMcVicker91

This is me throwing 4 drives first in real time then slow motion. It looks so weird from the third person. I think some funky things are going on. Help set me straight!

my last throw was probably my furthest ever, though it was a 153g diamond in a tail wind. Guessing around 375ft

You are bit flat footed and curled up with the arm. You can turn back much further while keeping your posture more upright. You are falling over in the finish instead of maintain balance keeping a tighter rotational axis to whip the lower arm faster in the end. It looks like you lock your front knee out during the throw, so your posture can't be dynamically stacked. Your posture would fold like a lawn chair if you had 200lbs over your shoulders, you should always be a position to support that weight over your shoulders if you want to leverage your body from the ground.

Thanks for the critique and thorough explanation. Very insightful videos as well that helped further explain, especially the 2nd video when he talks about posture. Thanks a bunch. Can't wait to work on it, now that I see myself and know what I'm doing wrong it should help a lot.

I sliced up my thumb at work but hopefully I'll be able to get back out and work on it soon. Can't wait.

Cheers.

"Guessing around 375ft"

Really? wow...you must have some serious snap. With your form improvements you should be able to add another 100 easily.

"Guessing around 375ft"

Really? wow...you must have some serious snap. With your form improvements you should be able to add another 100 easily.

The combination of downhill/tailwind/light disc did most of the work I think.

I've only gone out to the field once since I made this video, tried to focus on staying upright, but couldn't quite figure anything out. Gonna keep on watching vids and doing drills and going out until I finally get it. It seems like every time I get closer and closer, and the more I "study" the more I'm really understanding what I'm doing wrong and what the pros are doing right.

I'm mainly looking at Will Schusterick since we have similar proportions, but his form seems really unique compared to most pros.

Do yourself a favor, find a way to get some accurate distance measurement. It will greatly help you understand where you're at. I used to think I was throwing much farther than I actually was because most courses measure distance straight from a-b and don't take elevation or turns into play.

Will is also my role model (even though I'm 30 years older and 150lbs heavier). lol.. One thing he helped me understand is to slooowwww down when driving. Another tip I learned this year is to apply more "thumb down" pressure on the disc. This helps with snap and keeps the nose down.

Do yourself a favor, find a way to get some accurate distance measurement. It will greatly help you understand where you're at. I used to think I was throwing much farther than I actually was because most courses measure distance straight from a-b and don't take elevation or turns into play.

Will is also my role model (even though I'm 30 years older and 150lbs heavier). lol.. One thing he helped me understand is to slooowwww down when driving. Another tip I learned this year is to apply more "thumb down" pressure on the disc. This helps with snap and keeps the nose down.

I use a soccer field to measure my distance (it's in the field I'm throwing at in the video). 300ft is about where I max out normally.

yep...did the soccer field as well for a while (we all do?) went back and measured it when I purchased my measuring tool and it was off as well. One side was longer than the other, etc, etc, ugh.. Same thing with a local football field. Rarely were the lines actually 10 yards apart. lol.. So now I just put flags out at 100,150,200,250,300,350 and I get a much better idea how I'm throwing.

Alright 7 years later and I'm basically back to square 1!

Got 2 videos: one from the rear view, one from the side. I'm working on plant foot/reach back timing and rebuilding my x-step. The videos have 3 stages, 1) reaching back and planting at the same time 2) a small x-step and 3) the full run-up.

I hope that showing the 2 practice drills before I execute each shot can help isolate any incorrect tendencies. A couple things I notice: 1) I should really focus on staying balanced by slowing things down a lot and being more deliberate. 2) Should my back foot be pointed all the way 180 degrees from target? 3) I don't feel like my overall posture, especially head/neck, is what I see from the pros. 4) My left arm doesn't come in as much as I feel it should toward my center

1. Stance/setup. I dislike starting feet together unless you go into Elephant Walk Drill. I also dislike starting with the arm bent(middle of the throw). Extend your arm/disc out and address to it the target/apex/hit before going into the backswing. Extension is more important than bending the arm.

Either start in a wider stance like shoulder width and take a quicker/compacter stride forward, or start in super wide stance and stride front foot backwards into plant. Or start with feet crossed over like Hershyzer drill - start in wide stance and take a step backwards into hershyzer/x-step/booty leading with front leg slung back/wound up back behind rear leg with hips cocked and loaded ready to go back forward where it came from. Your legs are just kind of walking around each other instead of scissoring and creating internal torque.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136487

2. Relax the arm/shoulder. Dingle Arm it - let it hang down like a heavy wet towel and swing the shoulder.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134415

3. Plant firmly into front heel - "the real top of the backswing" - SC. Bounce. Then swing. You are only planting into front toes and spinning your foot out as you start swinging on the way down.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118948

First off you're the goat, it's amazing that you're still here dedicated to helping people after all these years. Thank you.

I spent the afternoon working on the hershyzer drill and kicking the ball. I didn't really work too much on the full x-step but that tip about keeping the back foot on the toes during the cross really helped me feel that "hop" motion and weight transfer and solved the mystery or why my back foot would always be 180 degrees from the target. Here's some footage, I'm not really feeling any big changes but I'm gonna keep working on these drills this rainy week, posting here for guidance.

1. kick the ball. Start from shoulder width, and swing the leg back before going forward without pausing. Need more dynamic motion back and forth winding up, instead of starting from more static position. Your kick should pull you off the rear foot. You just kind of step and push the ball, instead of really swinging the leg thru with heavy momentum/all your weight more like a field goal kicker. Don't worry about the plant or positioning or throwing, it's just a drill to feel something different in your lower body and using your weight.

2. hershyzer. Need to turn your butt/hips further back in the setup. Your hips looks too square or inline to target. Your front foot is having to stride out and around your rear foot instead of having access straight thru or swinging from more outside to inward across the rear foot. To let your front leg swing uninhibited back and forth, your hips need to be closed.

3. looks kind of weird combining these drills together and with throwing. They should each be their own separate thing/drill. When you do go to throw you are opening up/barely turned back - door frame drills should help as well and more shift from behind.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118948

Your front leg is opening up before you shift from behind.

This is really hard, and when I feel like I get a feel for something, it's even harder to translate it into a throw.

I've been kicking the ball and humping the wall a lot and decided to start trying the closed shoulder drill. I feel like this is very good for me, it let me know that for as long as I've been throwing I've been bending my wrist back, I didn't realize it until I felt the snap from a neutral wrist. I also feel my center of gravity more rotating around my heel going all the way up to my head.

Then again, I also feel like I'm still doing everything wrong :)

I also have some forehand throws in here which I've been working on whenever my index finger is too bloody/painful to throw anymore.

Kick the ball:

Closed Shoulder:

Forehand:

Kick the ball looked pretty good.

Closed shoulder - need to swing shoulder over knee and toes. Your shoulder is behind your knee - too upright or seated on heels.

FH - your rear foot is too backward, start perpendicular to target like pitcher and front foot closer and then take a small step/stride forward.

Kick the ball looked pretty good.

Closed shoulder - need to swing shoulder over knee and toes. Your shoulder is behind your knee - too upright or seated on heels.

FH - your rear foot is too backward, start perpendicular to target like pitcher and front foot closer and then take a small step/stride forward.

When you say my shoulder is behind my knee, is this what you're referring to?

Latest posts