• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is the first thing I should work on ?

Simon83

Hi All

New here on the site, and new to the sport.
I've seen quite a few videos on form. but I guess I'm overloaded, and don't know where to start to improve.

I guess I'm looking for some stability in my throws (Direction, height and speed).

When I look at my self I see the disc usually wabbles like hell when I release, is that a grip thing ?

In this video I throw 6 different dices (all that I got), but actually I'm only trying to get a decent release regardless of the disc I'm throwing.
Form Review Video
(side and back view of each shot, and the same in slow-motion)

I know the form is horrible, as I've only played a few hours, so small steps, but let me know what you think.

Thanks
Simon

There will be much more qualified people who will offer their thoughts on your form but I just wanted to say the way you edited it all into one video is nice.

My suggestion would be to keep at it and don't get too frustrated with plateaus once you start finding them, they're just stepping stones.

There will be much more qualified people who will offer their thoughts on your form but I just wanted to say the way you edited it all into one video is nice.

My suggestion would be to keep at it and don't get too frustrated with plateaus once you start finding them, they're just stepping stones.

Thanks man, not really much of a Video editor, but software now a days almost do it for you :D
"Keep on throwing", yeah that is sort of my approach to this, to find the hours to put into it. it is just nice to know that I'm not training any bad habits.

I am not an expert, I'm a suffering hack haha. Full disclaimer... but here's a few things I work on/see/typical advice.

For me, a good plant is important but rotate your lead foot on the heel or you will stress/snap your knee. I wish I had known that sooner. You have an interesting foot shuffle at the end..

I start with my grip, any grip you feel comfortable locking the disc in your hand is good. Power grip is not necessarily the best way to get the most power... it's a misnomer. Grips are individual. Personally I make sure I am winding my wrist on the way back so I am not trying to add extra snap at the end. IE my hand is generally rotated so I am grabbing the outside edge of the disc as I'm reaching back.

You are doing something as you throw to stop yourself, instead of following through or committing I would say you are hitting the brakes as you release and popping your nose up and your arm. Try a flatter arm motion forwards, throw at the bottom of the basket or downwards. Downhill shots on a practice field can really help. I liked the old Dan Beato vid for that flat arm motion. I used to do a half step through my shot when this was a problem for me, that may be bad advice though. I see people do this a lot when they bunch themselves up on the front of the teepad, I like to throw from 3ft back from the end of the pad so I have space to step through/fall forward haha etc.

Your hips should start the motion, not your arm, a little more lag might help before pulling your arm forwards. The swivel stairs drill recently helped me. On a standstill I have my feet on a 45 degree angle and the back of my shoulder to the target, almost throwing blind. One of the ways I learned to set that up is by holding my arm out straight and fully extended (like I just finished my throw) and rotating my feet until the extended/finishing position of my arm is pointed at the basket. If I know where my arm will naturally end up then I just need to line up my feet to make it happen... removing variables so there's less to think about and to find a natural swing.

Get a comet is stock advice around here, it sure helped me.

My advice is crap, if someone else shows up defer to them haha. Theres a ton of sidewinder and HUB videos in the technique section check em out. Good luck and have fun :)

Last edited:
Thank you for your time and advice guys. I really appreciate it.

If I weren't so hungover :sick:, I would go straight out and try it out :D

Start with some of the above (after purging).

The summary for sequencing and some concepts might help you.

Always look at SW's for postures and the moves since I did this when my movement was much less mature.

Just a little to add there.

1. I would start by getting the feet preferably with a bit of stagger to close your stance off a bit. Currently, if the top of tee is North: you are striding forward and bringing your plant stride way East. Instead, you can start with the front foot more West of the rear foot so that your front foot heel is aligned closer to your rear foot toe, then stride more directly toward the target from there like he does here:

https://youtu.be/ok26o-xSVRA?t=77

2. Your feet aren't helping you because of your first move. You are striding away with your rear foot opening your rear toes away from the target, and leaning way back over your rear leg. Instead, you probably want to square that rare foot up a bit to the target want to be more center-balanced and let your body feel more like it coils into the rear side, and swings back and forth over the feet - e.g., Turbo Encabulator above.