• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Finding Discs: Proper Etiquette

Status
Not open for further replies.
i name & number all my discs.... i always the person if i find one too... its what i would want to happen if i lost mine.

Do what I do. Call. No answer? Hold onto it and use it. Call again every few days, but use it anyway. And return it if/when they call.

This is me. I would make a fair attempt to contact somebody, in the hopes that if somebody ever found my disc they would do the same. However, if it were a disc I wasn't familiar with, or didn't have, I'd definitely throw it to test it out. Only seems fair, and I'd expect the person who found mine to do the same, and I wouldn't be upset about that.

As a loser, I'm always excited to hear that somebody found my disc. As a finder, I remember the feeling I get when somebody calls to return mine, and I give them back that feeling by calling them. Usually the best way to return a disc is to play a round with them. If you're the loser, plan to come play at the finder's local course. That way they don't have to spend their gas money on your disc.

There are people who don't like to return found discs. They're usually not very popular in the disc golfing community. I figure they see the disc more like the golf ball than like the golf club. I see it more like the club, as do most people I know.

We have a river running right next to hole 2 here in town, and it's a disc magnet. When it's running low, I try to search it every day if I can, because anything I find with a number on it will get a call or two, whereas I know other people in town will keep anything they find. :thmbdown:

I guess karma does exist. I just left one of my discs on the 9th hole of my local course and just as I was leaving the course someone called me telling me they found my disc. Made my day for sure. :hfive:

I dont cross out the number, I just use that disc on a risky hole, and probably loose it in leiu of one of mine in a lake or something... Lost is lost

Once you WALK AWAY from a disc it's not yours any more. If I found one with a number I'd call but it's up to the person that WALKED AWAY from this disc to do what's proper to get it back. I won't waste gas, time or money returning your disc you WALKED AWAY from.

If it's a hassle to return someone's disc why not just leave it where you found it? Are you guys actually playing with someone's used disc?

If it's a hassle to find your lost disc don't lose them.
I play with my own discs.
Why should I go out of my way to do what the original owner was too lazy to do?

Once you WALK AWAY from a disc it's not yours any more. If I found one with a number I'd call but it's up to the person that WALKED AWAY from this disc to do what's proper to get it back. I won't waste gas, time or money returning your disc you WALKED AWAY from.

its not about walking away all the time. during a tourney you dont have time to spend hours looking for a lost disc. say i saw where my disc went into the woods but all it takes is a bad kick that you didnt see and its not even near where you are looking

its not about walking away all the time. during a tourney you dont have time to spend hours looking for a lost disc. say i saw where my disc went into the woods but all it takes is a bad kick that you didnt see and its not even near where you are looking

When the tournament is over go back and look, easy.

I always call the second I find a disc. About half the time the guy is still on the course and I can return it with no hassle. Otherwise I just try once more and leave a message, usually when I am heading out to play so they can catch me on the course.

If I find somebody with one of my discs and they didn't try to return it, I'm gonna take it back, call the police, make a citizens arrest, and have them charged with theft.

In CA, if you don't make a reasonable effort to return a found item, you are guilty of theft. Picking up the phone and dialin my #, that is writen 2-4 times on it with my name, is a reasonable effort. If that effort wasn't made, I will make an example out of you at the course.

So, guess how I feel about returning disc......

If I find somebody with one of my discs and they didn't try to return it, I'm gonna take it back, call the police, make a citizens arrest, and have them charged with theft.

In CA, if you don't make a reasonable effort to return a found item, you are guilty of theft. Picking up the phone and dialin my #, that is writen 2-4 times on it with my name, is a reasonable effort. If that effort wasn't made, I will make an example out of you at the course.

You have no way to prove that someone did not try and return it! Not that I keep lost discs, just saying.

I think those who keep lost discs, probably are not avid disc players. I never find discs I would throw myself anyway, its always Innova stuff.

Last edited:

Yeah, real big talk. Good luck proving this in court.
You're willing to waste tax payers, yours and the other persons money over a disc you WALKED AWAY from? Seems like a big deal for a minor issue.

Yeah, real big talk. Good luck proving this in court.
You're willing to waste tax payers, yours and the other persons money over a disc you WALKED AWAY from? Seems like a big deal for a minor issue.
I think there are some sarcasm meters broken in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts