• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Finding Discs: Proper Etiquette

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have no way to prove that someone did not try and return it! Not that I keep lost discs, just saying.

I think those who keep lost discs, probably are not avid disc players. I never find discs I would throw myself anyway, its always Innova stuff.

ever heard of phone records?

I found a disc in a basket with no name or number on it. No one else was at the course. It was a polecat. I threw it in the trash on my way to the car.

I was playing Yesterday and hooked up with some randoms to finish the round and I see this kid pull out this tye dyed wraith and as he pulled it out I thought, that looks familiar. I asked him if I could see it and sure enough it still had my name and number on it. I asked him to call that number real quick and see if anyone answers and when my phone started ringing I put the disc in my bag and left.

I was playing Yesterday and hooked up with some randoms to finish the round and I see this kid pull out this tye dyed wraith and as he pulled it out I thought, that looks familiar. I asked him if I could see it and sure enough it still had my name and number on it. I asked him to call that number real quick and see if anyone answers and when my phone started ringing I put the disc in my bag and left.

that's pretty funny. I actually bought a discs off a dude who had a van full and traded it to my girlfriend's brother's friend and there was a name and number on the back and the kid knew the kid whose name and number was on the back. I thought that was pretty random.

i found a tye dye z force just sitting on a hill a few days ago, and there was a name and number on it. a full name. so i decided to check him out on facebook, and his profile is mostly public. i read stuff on his wall and looked at pictures of him, and it became apparent that he was a giant douche who goes to one of the most open courses in town to drink beer, throw cans everywhere, and throw sidearm on you while you are trying to putt out.

it's part of my collection now.

I'm sure this has had 20+ replies, but this is great -- keep up the good work. I've only found 1 disc with a name, called the guy, and he had lost the disc 2 weeks prior. Funny thing was, he was just finishing the up at the same course, came and grabbed it 5 minutes later.

Out of all the discs I've ever found only 3 had names and numbers. All the numbers were out of service when we called them. I have never been able to return a disc yet. My son has returned one. I think around here the general thought is if you lost it and walked away, then it's as good as gone. My son lost his 1st Ace disc with name and number and full cost reward on the back and we have yet to get a phone call.

what about the bad kick?

Increase your search when you go back after the round. It's your responsibility, not anyone's else.

And about calling the cops, it's not a theft for someone to find a disc, the cops would laugh at you so by all means please call the police and try to start a case about a found disc. :p

If you walk up to me claiming something in my possession is yours, by the time the police get there it's a good chance they will be arresting you, not me or the person with the found disc.
You can talk as big as you want on the internet, when it comes to real life I bet you will not demand anyone give you anything without them laughing at you or a fight breaking out, so bring a big stick for your alleged precious lost disc you WALKED AWAY from.

Remember I said I would call the number on a found disc, but all this BS about calling cops and making demands is "Internet bad-ass" talk and nothing more. It's also making a mountain out of an ant hill.

I found a disc in a basket with no name or number on it. No one else was at the course. It was a polecat. I threw it in the trash on my way to the car.

Why would you throw it in the trash. You could have traded or sold it in the market place or given it to a little kid.

Why would you throw it in the trash. You could have traded or sold it in the market place or given it to a little kid.

I don't think he wanted to charge someone so they can haul his trash away and I really doubt he wanted to start a little kid out on the wrong foot.

Just a guess

I am pretty new to disc golf so maybe my opinion will change over time but how I see it is if you arent willing to lose a disc dont throw it in a situation where you might lose it... on the flip side if you find a disc with a name and number and you dont want the hassle of calling the person and having them meet up with you then just leave the disc in a place that someone else can find it and give the guy a call.

I am pretty new to disc golf so maybe my opinion will change over time but how I see it is if you arent willing to lose a disc dont throw it in a situation where you might lose it...

Sometimes its out of your hands. I once threw a Z Stalker, and the wind came up out of no where (course was close to the coast) and took my disc about 100ft off course into a pond.

found another brand new disc (no ink this time). 164 orange star beast just sitting on the ground

I usually call the number or ask around if I don't know who it is. Fact, Me and my buddy did just that today. Brand new tye-dye Beast. Guy was stoked to know we found it and made arrangements to get it back. I like doing that so Karma might come back to me. You find it on the ground/in the basket/in the rough by all means try to return it.
@MidnightB,,, If it is in the pond and near the edge where you can see it then you should call the number. However,If you take the time to drag the pond with a rake or dive for them, then all discs are yours. Permanent water hazards are not the same as dry land.
I would give the discs back to the guys in my club and others that I know. All others I would mark out the numbers and put them up for trade or give them to kids or noobies starting out.

I too have done the facebook search. The person whose name was on the last disc I found didn't have disc golf listed under his activities section so I figured he wasn't true to the game. I mean if you play the game and love it, your facebook profile will tell the world right? And I know it was THE dude so don't think it was another guy. Now I call the disc Jacob in honour of him. Jacob flies nice. I don't make any attempt to remove or obscure the name, nor do I name and number my discs. Not only does it look tacky, but I believe it plants a seed in my mind that will ultimately cause me to throw a cruddy shot and lose it. Think positive and don't lose your disc. If you do lose it, don't expect to get it back. Unless it is a crappy disc. Then maybe. I suck.

Now I'm not going to go on a tirade about how you should always call the numbers on found discs, but that's a dick move and a douchebag excuse to keep someone else's plastic.

I play disc golf more than I update my Facebook page. I guess I'm not "true to the game."

if i work hard lookin for discs, im keepin em. plain and simple
if it is where someone accidentally left one, ill call em

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts