• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Finding local leagues or get togethers?

loki993

Eagle Member
Wasnt sure where to post this, but I was wondering whats the best way to find local leagues or get togethers?

I was thinking Ill probably eventually want to find a group for the GF and I to go out and throw with or for me when she doesn't feel like it.

I checked some of the local websites but really didn't find anything.

I don't know I was just curious, its something I may want to do down the road a little bit. Not right now, I need a couple weeks more practice I think, but eventually.

Check the meets thread make a new one. Find dgcr members in your area if possible. Be friendly on teh course, I have met a ton of players that i shoot with just walking the course. I would not wait on leagues it will help to get you better quick. One great way to get good quicker is play with people that are better. Dont get down if you cannot keep up, it will come. Playing alone will not warrant the same results.

.....you can add Facebook to the list. Our local club, and some others that come to mind, are making heavy use of Facebook pages, almost supplanting the club websites.

.....you can add Facebook to the list. Our local club, and some others that come to mind, are making heavy use of Facebook pages, almost supplanting the club websites.

Yeah our FB group has overtaken our forum as well.

I've checked some of the BBs and the meets section here no luck really. Facebook though I don't know why I didn't think of that. Ill see what I can find.

Check for clubs in your area, and see if there is anyone that would be willing to meet up and play a round or two with you if you don't know anyone in the area. That is what I did, and now I found a couple leagues to play with, a couple more people that I could meet up with to throw, and even got a ace race TD to add some more spots so I could participate in his ace race this coming weekend. If you get the contacts flowing, it is amazing how quickly you can find a group to play with.

At a lot of courses, the disc golf scene still seems to be organized around flyers, word of mouth, telephone calls, etc.

It's probably obvious, but be sure to check the sign boards at courses in your area. If there are local tournaments, leagues, etc. they probably advertise there. And maybe also on the interwebs.

For PDGA sanctioned leagues you can check http://www.pdga.com/leagues/schedule

discgolfscene is the best source for those of us who live in michigan. just about every course in your area has stuff going on at some point during the week. the doubles at holly are tuesday night and the people there are great and welcoming. also, im right around the corner from you and would be glad to shoot a round sometime. if you decide to put off the leagues for a while id suggest getting started by playing in the holly ace which i think is in late september. its a great way to meet a lot of the local people and play some casually competitive golf. the ace race is fun for all ages and skill levels and its well ran by our local club.

The easiest way is to talk to other players you see on your local course, you should be able to tell the chuckers from the serious players pretty quickly and easily.

I stumbled onto a local league here by returning a lost disc. Guy suggested that I come check out league night and give him his disc back, and that sounded great to me.

Important thing is to be cool and courteous, no matter how your game stacks up to others. Pay attention to the league culture before doing anything that might upset it.

discgolfscene is the best source for those of us who live in michigan. just about every course in your area has stuff going on at some point during the week. the doubles at holly are tuesday night and the people there are great and welcoming. also, im right around the corner from you and would be glad to shoot a round sometime. if you decide to put off the leagues for a while id suggest getting started by playing in the holly ace which i think is in late september. its a great way to meet a lot of the local people and play some casually competitive golf. the ace race is fun for all ages and skill levels and its well ran by our local club.

I did see that on discgolf scene and I was considering going to one of the Tuesday double nights. I was waiting to renew my plate and I didn't have the "recreation passport" yet. I got it now so maybe Ill hit it this Tuesday. Do you go Tuesdays?

And I'm definitely doing the Ace race at Holly. The pack is a deal, you get some cool discs and it does seem like it would be a lot of fun. I'm also strongly considering going to the one down in Royal Oak too, that's the beginning of September.

The easiest way is to talk to other players you see on your local course, you should be able to tell the chuckers from the serious players pretty quickly and easily.

I stumbled onto a local league here by returning a lost disc. Guy suggested that I come check out league night and give him his disc back, and that sounded great to me.

Important thing is to be cool and courteous, no matter how your game stacks up to others. Pay attention to the league culture before doing anything that might upset it.

Yeah, Im usually cool and laid back so thats never a problem.

I did but they don't have any league info on those pages that I could find. I got want I needed at disc golf scene.

If any of you are in the SE MI area on Sunday Sept 2 @ noon, we're having an ACE RACE at our private course in Romeo, MI at Tomahawk Park.

DGCR members are welcome to join.

Sounds like that could definitely be a lot of fun. Id be interested for sure. I may have to cut the Royal Oak one out though.

I did see that on discgolf scene and I was considering going to one of the Tuesday double nights. I was waiting to renew my plate and I didn't have the "recreation passport" yet. I got it now so maybe Ill hit it this Tuesday. Do you go Tuesdays?

And I'm definitely doing the Ace race at Holly. The pack is a deal, you get some cool discs and it does seem like it would be a lot of fun. I'm also strongly considering going to the one down in Royal Oak too, that's the beginning of September.
i havent played tuesdays much this year but im there when i can be. i wont be there this coming tuesday because it is my fiances birthday but i should be there off and on during the coming weeks. im only ten minutes or so away though so i play casual rounds there pretty often. a league just started at seymour lake on thursday nights that i plan on playing most weeks.

Latest posts