• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Firebird Replacement?

jgros079

Anyone know a good replacement to the firebird?

I use my firebird for easy hyzer shots, or long straight shots that fade at the end. Mine's getting a little worn, and when thrown 100% will stand up a little more than I'd like....

The problem I find with firebirds is they're so inconsistantly made. one's too overstable, the other flips too easily or breaks in after one or two tree hits...

I was thinking a pred, but I'm not sure if it would be too stable (more over stable) and too fast for what I'm looking for..

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Also, if anyone has any pointers of picking up a the "right" firebird for me, let me know? ie: no dome, a little dome, max weight etc?

right on, I'll have to look in to those. I have a River and a Havoc in Gold Line and they are beautiful in and out of the air. :)

I like the new run of 12x Firebirds. They're easy to get and seem to fly the way you would expect a Firebird to fly. I've found the Predator to be quite a bit less overstable than a firebird. You could always try a Flick, but those are very overstable out of the box and need to break in a bit to be more firebird like.

I'm not aware of any disc companies that don't have run to run consistency issues. Your best bet is to find a run of a disc you like and buy a buttload of them if you're going to be concerned with run to run consistency.

opto xXx. I haven't tried the GL but I have 4 optos (3 are backups).

Is the pred a bunch faster than a firebird?

Nope, they're the same speed wise and both are true overstable discs. For me the difference seems to be that when thrown RHBH, Firebirds tend to start fading immediately and have somewhat of a "backwards C" flight, while Predators go straight and then will fade hard left.

Both are great IMO. I was using the old stamped Preds, but I've lost both of mine so I'm currently using an 11x FB.

Opto Tridents are pretty good

Great for short range, but those things drop so quickly. I'm not Wiggins or anything, but my drives aren't bad (was hitting 350+ with my new Wraith yesterday) and I can only get that thing 250 max. Maybe that's not bad?

Yeah, I'm looking for something I can put 300+ on a flat shot with a nice faded finish... besides, for shorter shots I have a 11xBanshee and a super roc.

XXX or Predator. Try them both and pick one. I think the XXX may be a better disc for OH's and utility, but the Predator seems to click with more people for their normal BH or FH over stable duties. Either way you can't lose.

XXX or Predator. Try them both and pick one. I think the XXX may be a better disc for OH's and utility, but the Predator seems to click with more people for their normal BH or FH over stable duties. Either way you can't lose.

Good post. He speaks the truth! Or you can just find some of the new flat top 12x birds that fly like they are supposed to.

Anyone know a good replacement to the firebird?

I use my firebird for easy hyzer shots, or long straight shots that fade at the end. Mine's getting a little worn, and when thrown 100% will stand up a little more than I'd like....

The problem I find with firebirds is they're so inconsistantly made. one's too overstable, the other flips too easily or breaks in after one or two tree hits...

I was thinking a pred, but I'm not sure if it would be too stable (more over stable) and too fast ...

What plastic are you using and what weight ?

Latest posts