• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

First 3 Discs

I agree with the Teebird for forehand, Leopard for backhand suggestions. A Cheetah is very close to Leopard and you probably won't notice the difference for awhile. Buzz or a Roc for midrange is a solid choice, get used to aiming your approaches a little to the right of the pin and let'em curl under it. A Cobra or a Stratus are also worthy of consideration for your mid, you might be able to throw them straighter than the Buzz/Roc, plus you'll have a good anyhyzer disc when you're ready to start trying annies. As for putters, just see which one feels the most comfortable in your hand and grab it. I haven't thrown Wizards but they're pretty popular so I'm sure it'll be fine.

The putter and mid are fine. There are lots of other options that will work well, too.

I'd go with something a bit slower and more understable for the driver. The Teebird isn't horribly easy to throw and is a bit harder to diagnose mistakes with as some other discs. My top two choices for new players are the Polaris LS and DX Cheetah. They're easy to control at slower speeds, require some nose down to fly well (so they'll let you know if you're throwing wrong) but are still forgiving enough to make learning easy.

One thing I don't like as much about the Leopard is the lack of fade. Most drivers don't fly like that and you get a lot of control and consistancy out of a stronger fade, so learning without that feature can make moving to other discs more frustrating.

I am just starting out and have decided to pick up a few discs tomorrow. I have been to the local shop and they suggested

Teebird
Z-Buzz
and a WIZARD

Does that sound like good three? What would be your suggestion for first 3 discs? I like to throw forehand but will throw backhand as well. I have played a little and borrowed players discs, but i feel hooked and want to start my own set.

Love this site by the way and have picked up lots of good info already. First Post

Are you going to change your name or will you be noob forever

I think its a great start. But I also like the advice of getting a Leopard & Impact. The Comet is good too. It really helps with technique, but I like the Impact better. On the lighter side for your drivers at first, mid 160s. A little heavier with the mids; low to mid 170s

And I always say get the best plastic. The cost isn't that much higher and to me at least it just feels better. Innova - Champion or Star; Star if it snows where you live. Discraft - Elite Z or ESP; FLX if its snowy.

If the leo is too understable for you (might be if FH) don't forget about the Gazelle. Same speed as a Leopard but stable.

The discs I bought for my women's clinc are:

Pro Leopard-Driver
S Element-Mid
Pro JK Aviar-Putter

When I started, I was told to get an Archangel... but really, that disc is too fast for a beginner. I do like the idea of suggesting a Leopard or an understable mid/fairway driver.

Basically, when you start out, for a rhbh thrower, I threw it up in the air and it'd fade hard left... as I got better, the disc flew straighter, and eventually - it would flip or go to the right. At that point, I felt as though I was throwing the disc correctly in that it did what it was supposed to do. Now, I've been filling in my bag to achieve all the shots I want to throw.

Last edited:
The buzzz and wizard are great discs, they'll work for you now, and they'll keep working for you forever. As garublador said, get a dx cheetah or a polaris ls, it'll be reasonably easy to throw straight right away, and as you get better and they get beat they'll make great turnover fairway drivers. If you are having trouble throwing the buzzz straight, try something like a comet or stingray to start with in your mid slot.

Ended up getting a Z-Stalker, Z-Buzz and a Warlock. Haven't played yet but threw them around and like them all. I found it hard to get only three and could see buying a few more. I think I have a good three to get started.

Ended up getting a Z-Stalker, Z-Buzz and a Warlock. Haven't played yet but threw them around and like them all. I found it hard to get only three and could see buying a few more. I think I have a good three to get started.

Great three choices. Feel free to bomb that Warlock off the tee, it'll work it into a straight putter and teach you some good form at the same time. :thmbup:

First 3 discs, wow it has been awhile:
Max (hahaha for a beginner, I looked hilarious throwing this thing), Eagle, Birdie

Needless to say, I no longer use any of these discs

I would suggest a leopard, a SS wizzard and a roc.

I like the mako that I have. The star plastic it is made out of is very flexible. It actually feels like a esp flx buzzz. I was very surprised with the feel of this disc. Most of my discs in star plastic are quite firm.

I guess you could do a leopard, wizard and a mako. But I am sure the wizard, buzzz, teebird combo you were looking to buy will be just fine.

Good choices! Get out there and have fun.

Wraith, Roc, Birdie. I don't use any of those discs anymore, haha.

who in their right mind would tell you to buy those three discs, crazy I tell you ;)

good thing you stopped by the Wanna Play DG Shack (shameless plug, lol)

DX Aviar P&A
DX Eagle
DX Valkyrie

Didn't take me long to throw the Valk and the Eagle in Harris Lake at Buckhorn. Fool I am!

Mine was a 150 dx gazelle, 196g #2 roller, 170g 10x Gazelle.

One fat sack of awesome right there. ;)

Latest posts