• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

First DG Road Trip

dsizzle78

A couple buddies and I are taking our first DG road trip this weekend and I wanted to get some feedback from members who have played the courses we're visiting.

I live in Southern PA, right on the Maryland/PA line, about 5 minutes from Whispering Falls DGC in Greencastle (my adopted home course). We had a tough time deciding which courses we wanted to play because we have so many great ones within 50 miles. Having already played all 54 holes at Codorus, we thought maybe we would head south.

So, we decided we're going to play Seneca Creek, Darnestown Swim & Racquet Club, and Sherando on Friday. Then we are camping Friday night near Paw Paw, WV. Saturday we are going out to play the vaunted Woodshed and Whippin' Post courses.

What are your experience on these courses, good or bad, and can you give a fellow disc golfer some strategic advice that will help me win. :)

Paw Paw is great, personally I love it - several "un"fairways, very tight, technical, long, challenging holes, prepare to be frustrated and get your ass handed to you. If this is your idea of a good time, enjoy.

You say "we are camping Friday night near Paw Paw, WV" Why not camp at the courses? Donation of a few $$ for the night, and it's decent camping, enough flat areas for a tent or two, fire ring, and immediate access to the course.

Oh yeah, and beware, DG road tripping, is addicting. It may just take over your life.

Paw Paw is great, personally I love it - several "un"fairways, very tight, technical, long, challenging holes, prepare to be frustrated and get your ass handed to you. If this is your idea of a good time, enjoy.

You say "we are camping Friday night near Paw Paw, WV" Why not camp at the courses? Donation of a few $$ for the night, and it's decent camping, enough flat areas for a tent or two, fire ring, and immediate access to the course.

Oh yeah, and beware, DG road tripping, is addicting. It may just take over your life.

Seriously, camp at the course. Hang out in the barn all night and get out first thing in the morning! Just bring all your food and beer. There's not a lot around there. If you have a car with decent performance, take it. The gravel roads getting to the course are almost as much fun as the golf!!

We were originally going to camp at Paw Paw, but being unfamiliar with the place, and the owners, we weren't sure how late we could get there without offending anyone.

There is a camping area almost directly across the Potomac called Little Orleans that we stay at on Memorial Day every year. We just decided to camp there since you can check in up until 10 pm. It's about 25 minutes from the courses.