• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

First Diamond Trusted Reviewer!

Dave242 got me because he would review courses when the baskets were pulled.
"HOW THE #&%$ DO YOU PLAY AND REVIEW A COURSE WITH NO BASKETS":wall:
Dave242 as I recall it got a torrent of thumbs down by basically being arrogant and saying his way was better so he wasn't going to adapt his reviewing style. When we suggested he just NOT review here if he wasn't going to follow the format, he arrogantly responded that he was this very important source of information and the site needed his data. Then he shrugged us all off by say something to the effect that we could just thumbs down them if we didn't like it. So we did. :|

He's probably a nice enough guy, I think he just came off weird on the Interwebz. I have that problem sometimes and come off like a know it all. All I know for sure is I surely don't know it all.

In retrospect it was silliness on the Interwebz, but he could have played it a lot cooler and avoided a lot of the thumbs down. He made himself a target.

Once he made himself a target, there were questions like him saying he played a course when the baskets were pulled and him saying he played Flyboy when the designer said there was no way anyone could have played it that quickly. It seemed that he felt like he could just walk a course and evaluate it without actually playing it. Which...he's right. You can. The thing is that if you understand disc golfers at all you would know doing it and getting caught would be bad. Disc golf is a players sport; you play or you don't. If you don't play, you don't matter. For a lot of disc golfers if you don't play well you don't matter. Even though I think it can be done, I'd never try to pass off a review on a course I didn't play because I wouldn't want to risk my credibility with other disc golfers. As high-profile as Flyboy was at the time, it was a weird decision to make.

Pretty funny timing here. I check in every so often (very infrequently these days) and sitting here waiting for the hockey game to start (Go Blues!) I decided to do so for the fist time in months. And I find this. You got a pretty good memory Three Putt! I'll address your main points from my perspective in case you care.

I am indeed a nice guy and an arrogant guy. Guilty as charged. :) I was trying to be nice early on by doing hours and hours of work entering my own list of course reviews I had compiled that was I think about 150 courses at the time. I (and nobody) had any idea how the site would explode....so that was my perspective when I made my comment about my reviews being statistically important (I was not stating that i felt myself personally important). Being an engineer, I am analytical and thought the rating numbers were important. This site being new at the time with very few reviews, I did think my input could add value and that numbers were more important than verbiage and I was pressing for timg to do more to do searches based on like-minded reviewers. I stuck to my guns. Stubborn? Arrogant? Probably. But, I like my way of rating and reviewing and have stuck to it. I choose to look at how many people i have helped rather than those who gave me :thmbdown:'s

I played Wickham Park in CT without baskets and reviewed it. I do not get Prerube's beef with that. I could tell from the tee exactly where the baskets were supposed to be and I know what at 40' putt is and a 15' putt. Do you have to score your round to review it? The only downside I can see is that if I missed an Ace that would have happened had a basket got in the way of my drive. :)

On Flyboy, I played the course alone and walked at a decent pace. I remember it accurately and fondly - could give you a blow by blow of every shot from memory. Why would I go so far out of my way and pay to stay overnight in the hangar for my family to not play the course? I always took Kelly's point that I didn't play the course in the sense that I did not play slowly and linger at many spots in order to savor the course. Guilty as charged. I hold no ill will at all and am extremely thankful that he made an exception for me and let me play solo as he was away....and all my family had a wonderful time with his parents and their wonderful hospitality!!

National Anthem - time to go.

I've always maintained if we all just stick to our personal review rubrics when rating/reviewing, it'll all even out in the end.

I've always appreciated that Dave242 has had the stubbornness to stick to his guns even when getting massive amounts of hate.

Good on you, sir.

It just seems crazy to me that someone who has reviewed 275+ courses isn't even a Bronze TR. Sure he may have ruffled a few feathers in the early days, but those days are gone now. Rock on Dave242. If you go paid membership you can see which ones of us DB's gave you all those thumbs down. I'm sure a few were mine. I wonder if you hold the record for most thumbs down?

Being an engineer
Lol, you could just post that and it would explain it all. :p

First intermission; so far so good. I mean we are still going to lose, but at least we didn't get blown out from the first faceoff.

In retrospect I think we all were taking it a bit too seriously at the time. I gave up needing to be right on the Internet on...Tuesday, November 8, 2016. :(

My oldest is done with her first year in college and my youngest his first year in high school. After a decade+ hiatus, in a few years I will certainly get my course bagging addiction satisfaction going again, and will hopefully get back into running tournaments (might need to move though to do that). Thanks for the kind words.

I wonder if you hold the record for most thumbs down?

It's been a few years since I checked, but a couple people have more :thmbdown:'s - Redneckmachismo and maybe another person. I know that I have a lot more :thmbup:'s than plenty of Diamond reviewers. Its ll good. Period 2 starts right now

Last edited:
It just seems crazy to me that someone who has reviewed 275+ courses isn't even a Bronze TR.

IIRC Dave was a TR (perhaps even gold, but I could be wrong) before the great :thmbdn: onslaught killed his ratio. In addition to total helpful and unique votes, I think TR criteria requires at least 60 of your thumbs are helpful. The onslaught was his fall from grace.

IIRC Dave was a TR (perhaps even gold, but I could be wrong) before the great :thmbdn: onslaught killed his ratio. In addition to total helpful and unique votes, I think TR criteria requires at least 60 of your thumbs are helpful. The onslaught was his fall from grace.
Correction: 60%

i don't think so, i think the onslaught was early.

a long time ago i made a point to try and upvote all his reviews. i finished them in the last few days. at this point, he needs to get to about 2400 upvotes to hit 60% and he's somewhere above 1900 right now.

it could happen

I just hopped on today to see if I'd gotten any votes on my most recent reviews, and noticed a shiny new medal beside my name! I'm that much closer to Diamond. After taking a pretty long hiatus from really writing reviews or playing new courses, it's inspiring to get out there and add to the list of both. Also pretty stoked that it was La Mirada that pushed me over the edge to Gold. End of horn tooting. Back to work.

Pizza God has 50+ reviews written in the first 1/2 of this year and is at 978 thumbs up. I don't think anyone is closer to 1,000 right now; he should be the next Diamond I would think.

I was thinking he might have a unique voter issue since so many of his reviews are in Texas, but Texas is like the size of three Missouri's so I don't know if that is going to matter in his case.

You'd think a God of Pizza would be able to bribe his way to enough unique voters with offerings free slices/pies, so I don't I expect he'll have to wait too long for the necessary unique voters once he hits 1000.

Last edited:
Pizza God has 50+ reviews written in the first 1/2 of this year and is at 978 thumbs up. I don't think anyone is closer to 1,000 right now; he should be the next Diamond I would think.

I was thinking he might have a unique voter issue since so many of his reviews are in Texas, but Texas is like the size of three Missouri's so I don't know if that is going to matter in his case.

I'm predominately Texas, and I am at 1,250 thumbs up but have yet to hit the uniques. We'll have to see.

Markmcc, also from Texas, was at 1200 ish before hitting 200 uniques and he had lots of top course reviews outside of Texas. considering that c a is not not there yet either, i would guess pizza god is short on uniques as well. heck, you (Tree Putt) may be next to hit diamond next. pretty sure you have 200 uniques.

man, i wish i had the time that guy does to bag courses. he's a machine... a grandmasters aged machine

With an Oklahoma connection, I appreciate that every time I look at the DGCR main page, he's reviewing a new Oklahoma course. But yes, he may have a unique voter issue. Unfortunately, Tulsa seems like the only good part of Oklahoma to get particularly good voting feedback. I'm sure there are some Texas areas that could do the same, but I don't think Texas or Oklahoma have quite the DGCR presence or even disc golf community that is present in some other areas.

man, i wish i had the time that guy does to bag courses. he's a machine... a grandmasters aged machine
I know, I wrote 10 reviews this year and it felt like a feat. I can't imagine hitting 50 in 6 months; I'm going to need my kids to grow up before I can do that. Even after the kids grow up, the damn grass won't stop growing. I have no idea how guys do that; I tip my cap to guys with that kind of dedication.

I have always wondered how he makes the time to bag so many because I have pm'd back and forth with him and I think he still works a full time job, unless he has changed to part time. He could make it to 1000 played by the end of next year. He and Lion just blow my mind, just because of the size of their states and the high percentage of them that they have played. Serious freaking addicts those two are.:cool::clap:

Latest posts