• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] First disc you owned two of?

Roc/Teebird and Ape. I love all of them. Aviar too but it was to replace a lost one.

Dragon

I've been playing just over a month now and that disc was my first purchase--just randomly went in to a store after never having THOUGHT about disc golf and bought a red dragon and white rhyno. I liked the thing's flight so well that I picked up a second (fluorescent orange) 2 weeks later. 30 rounds later...I am realizing this is not very durable plastic so on the one hand I'll probably need another before TOO long, but on the other hand is this something this wimpy a disc I want several of? Anyway, I loved the S-curve my first dozen rounds, but playing nearly daily at lunch it's not the best distance for me now as I improve.

At any rate, about the same time as the second dragon I snagged a blizzard and DX wraith. Can't quite count that as the same disc as they fly so different for my noodle arm.

Now it's all research for me - both internet (which is why I'm here), and IRL. As if I need an excuse to pick up 1 of like every disc model made...

But the first disc I went out of my way to get two of is the Glide. It's working SO well for me that I want my wife and my several disc-less buddies who play with me to have a shot with it too! Or...if they're throwing it...I want to have one freed up for me ;) keep in mind I'm a beginner - throwing 200 - so this seems like a disc tailor-made for me!

Now I've added two pigs (blizzard/pro) to the bag, and a second leopard (111) to complement the 150 and see if/how it impacts my wife and 5 year old daughter's game(s).

I plan on having multiples of all the discs I like, but I expect "like" to take at least a few months to define. I know I'll always need to have enough discs to support a family of casual players and a few friends who enjoy playing, but not enough to get their own gear. And that's in addition to needing spares for some really rocky and brush-endowed courses I don't want to shy away from.

I plan on a second Stingray soon, and a champ leopard (more research!). But anyway, whatever I really like I'll keep a pair of so my wife can throw it too--although I might graduate to faster discs first ;)

So anyway, for me it's Dragon, Wraith, Glide, Pig, Leopard.

Once, when I first started, I found 2 DX Leopards during one round. So that was probably it, though a Wizard was the first disc that I bought two of.

I plan on a second Stingray soon, and a champ leopard (more research!)........

You may be disappointed in the Champ Leopard. I didn't like the one I bought new (too overstable for a Leo and I couldn't get good distance). I have trouble getting distance from Champ plastic in any mold and reserve that plastic for special purpose ones that I want to stay overstable forever. I recommend Pro or Star instead for us "noodle arms". In general it's a little more overstable than DX, but still has good glide.

I think Champ plastic can develop better glide with use because I bought a very used QJLS from PIAS that is sweet, but I don't have time to buy one new and try to get it there myself.

Viking!

The first time I played I bought a Viking and an Aviar--I have no idea why...maybe the guy in the shop recommended. I played one or two more times and then did not play for several years, during which I moved. Decided to go play with a couple of friends a couple of years ago and could not find the first two discs (and did not even remember what they were), so I stopped at Walmart and semi-randomly bought 6 out of the pallet sized bin: 2 sets of driver/mid/putter. I knew one of the two friends did not have any, so the second set was for her to use. One of those discs was a Viking. I have since found the first 2 discs (moving again!), and have bought 3 more Vikings.

Next would be Roc's...if it would count getting a "normal" Roc and a Classic Roc... :p

I just got my second cobra because I found a semi-beat 145g one in a used shop for 3 bucks.