• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

First Dye, and Thanks..

erinh

Just finished my first disc and I'm hooked. Tons of fun. Thanks to all you guys for all the shared information.
The disc is a Boss and hand cut with vinyl.
IMG_1960.JPG

oooh that's niice!

you have inspired me to want to do some more vinyl cutting in addition to my spin dyes.

Is that a cypress tree? Nice job starting at the roots of dyeing, very professional first attempt. You obviously did your homework before venturing forth.

Thanks for the comments. Chuck, your video was what really got me going in the right direction. I have done a couple more discs now using two colors and they came out pretty cool I'll post photos tomorrow. QUESTION: I just dyed a crystal clear X-out Boss and it just didn't do a very nice job of accepting the dye. I had the crimson dye hot enough to steam, and the disc sat in the pot for 45 min's and still isn't very red...
Do clear discs dye poorly? The black also did not get dark. Any ideas?

I can't decide about the clear vs. opaque argument. It may be that Z/Opto blends don't accept dye molecules as well as ESP/Goldline blends, but it may also be that the opaque discs have a backdrop that contrasts the dyed parts and makes them appear darker/brighter even though the same amount of dye has been transferred to the plastic. A good way to test this could be to weigh the disc before and after with a super-sensitive scale.

Either way, I recommend to make your dyebath more concentrated instead of cranking up the heat. Hotter dye should be your last resort troubleshooting, as it can really turn a good dye to shit in 4.7 seconds.

Here are photos of dye #2 and #3. The Aerobie dye had problems. Both the crimson and black dyed did not seem to take well and both seem a little blotchy. The rit concentration was one packet to three cups water-so pretty high. Anyone else have any luck getting vivid colors on clear champion plastic? The Wright Brothers disc is taken from an old photo of their first glider tests.

IMG_1963.JPG

IMG_1961.JPG

ErinH said:
Thanks JR, and yep that's me. Are you a distance thrower?

Yeah a short distance at that :-D But I follow D event results eagerly. Not much over 400' on low line drives at sea level in calm conditions. I'm recuperating from multiple injuries and have only just gotten healthy enough to up dumbells to 22 pounds and over 20 reps so I'm still seeing results from muscle atrophy from a surgically operated busted throwing arm.

I like to throw hyzer flips to flat with Roadrunners and hate it when people on this board say that primo plastic can't beat the world distance record. So thank you thank you thank you very much for almost proving them wrong with that 245 meter toss :-D Do you remember how high the throw was? I have another thing to thank you for. The disassembled power ball/disc thingy speed/spin chart was posted here and was very interesting. That Ripley's believe it or not was fun too and brought a lot of TV exposure to disc sports at a time when disc sports weren't as well known and even less covered. Those are the reasons why I've always viewed you as one of the greatest disc sports figures of all time and a great ambassador. Not to mention the Aerobie Pro Ring distance world record :)

Somebody mentioned that you were building a throwing machine that had independently adjustable launch speed and spin rate controls. Did it work and if it did what kind of results have you seen? See Blake_t was earlier of the opinion that high spin levels added significant D but has since changed his opinion to speed being more important. I'd like to see average results and if there are anomalies in either direction of distance with more or less spin at constant speeds. And what spin does to distance at different speeds.

Moderators: Erin needs a new custom rank. Like I throw faaaarther than you. The only member that's thrown farther than him is Avery Jenkins and unlike Erin that wasn't in competition.

Dang, I think we all fear having to go lefty with a broken throwing arm. Are you throwing 400' while recuperating? If so that's damn good. A flat 400' should translate to 550' in the desert with the right throw.

I'm stoked to hear that someone found the disc spin test interesting.
The disc gun is in pieces and is not finished. The machine is mostly completed and test firing proved it capable of launching 90+ mph. The difficult part is holding and releasing a spinning disc, although it is definitely possible. I swear after my house/shop are finished I'm on it!!

As far as distance throwing, most any throw over 700' has to apex somewhere near 50'. My last Big-D I was throwing star RR's and was throwing them very high, I would say at least 65'. The less stable your disc is the higher you can successfully set your launch angle. Oh and to correct you, I have only thrown 228 meters in competition. A few weeks ago I set my own personal record at 243m with another throw at 241m. I tried to "upgrade" to Katanas, but the RR outperformed.

BTW, I did not see the Ripley's TV bit, what was that about?

Oh wait, you're that Erin Hemmings, I thought the name sounded familiar. Love your work as a thrower and a dyer. =)

And JR, I feel your pain. I dislocated my kneecap in the SDF and lost something like a third of the muscle mass on my thigh as a result of not being able to use it for a long time. It'd been acting screwy for years and then finally gave in. Thankfully the operation went well and now it only bothers me when I'm running or the stars are aligned in a particular way.

Though hearing you say you're doing 20 reps with 22 pounds on a busted arm is making me realize how much of a noodle arm I am, I have difficulties doing that with a healthy arm. I'm again back to reaching 400' occasionally but I feel I have trouble controlling my form due to lack of strength, especially maintaining a solid grip on the disc. Man, I need to hit a gym... =)

ErinH said:
Dang, I think we all fear having to go lefty with a broken throwing arm. Are you throwing 400' while recuperating? If so that's damn good. A flat 400' should translate to 550' in the desert with the right throw.

I'm stoked to hear that someone found the disc spin test interesting.
The disc gun is in pieces and is not finished. The machine is mostly completed and test firing proved it capable of launching 90+ mph. The difficult part is holding and releasing a spinning disc, although it is definitely possible. I swear after my house/shop are finished I'm on it!!

As far as distance throwing, most any throw over 700' has to apex somewhere near 50'. My last Big-D I was throwing star RR's and was throwing them very high, I would say at least 65'. The less stable your disc is the higher you can successfully set your launch angle. Oh and to correct you, I have only thrown 228 meters in competition. A few weeks ago I set my own personal record at 243m with another throw at 241m. I tried to "upgrade" to Katanas, but the RR outperformed.

BTW, I did not see the Ripley's TV bit, what was that about?

D'oh! Once again my memory fails me argh. I had a false recollection that it was you that threw all sorts of stuff in one episode.

What about the world record breaking day throw one day after Big D 8? I think my memory is clear on this that I saw somebody report a 245 m toss from you. So if my memory ain't that poor then someone just misreported. Great D anyway especially for a RR.

I think your speed vs spin vs distance experiment changed some minds on the necessity if spin vs speed on this board toward more need for speed. That's not saying that most players wouldn't benefit from added spin because the majority lack spin. But for maximum potential...

I haven't been able to measure lighting post height at a local course but I think I've thrown to 70' high apex on annies approximating the height using thumb "measurement".

My injury happened in 1997 or so and I went to surgery in 1999. It's partially inoperable so some of the sometimes pinched nerves flare up with hard practice. Luckily weight training and field practice reduces the risk of troubles. Provided I don't overdo those. And the symptoms seem to be slightly easier each year as I gain muscle mass to support the tissues around the nerves that are effected. So I won't get easy extra D from a fast recovery I just need to throw more and yank some weights just like the rest. I have real troubles of getting enough nose down on anything but max D lines when throwing above say 20'. Video confirms that I get enough weight forward and can sometimes keep the wrist down at the hit but I haven't checked recently if my lacking disc pivot has improved from finger strength exercises. Went to far with it too fast in field practice and hurt my index finger. Luckily taping it helps tremendously. Still cant use full pinch force or train the index finger for more power after two weeks.

jubuttib: I lift with biceps, not all the way up to the sides and straight up with those weights. Fewer reps in the second set which I introduced this week. Other motions with lesser weights and resistance band on top etc. Still stiff muscles from Tuesday after my hardest training ever. Though 25 reps with biceps and could've gotten at least two more but I wanted to save energy for other motions as well. I'm definitely getting faster accelerations from the arm working out works. Cheetahs.

Latest posts