• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

First Fairway Driver?

Mabye so, but I would use them instead of a short driver myself, and I think others would agree. Especialy for a beginer.

Many players drive on shorter holes with putters and mids, there's still a gap between that and fast drivers. Fairway drivers are more controllable and easier to shape lines with than high speed drivers.

It's hard to beat a Cheetah or Leopard for a first driver, maybe a Gazelle, Stalker, Polaris LS or Cyclone if you're naturally athletic.

Many players drive on shorter holes with putters and mids, there's still a gap between that and fast drivers. Fairway drivers are more controllable and easier to shape lines with than high speed drivers.

True, I suppose. I would still rather throw my Buzzz than a cyclone when the situation warrented it.

True, I suppose. I would still rather throw my Buzzz than a cyclone when the situation warrented it.

Do they overlap that much for you? I carry rocs and gazelles and find them useful in very different situations.

I had a 150 DX Leopard that I received in my starter pack, but it was just a little too squirrely. But, when I hit it right it would outfly all my other discs.

Currently I'm throwing only mids and putters, but I think I'll go with a Pro/Champ Leopard (whichever I can find at my local store) or an ESP Cyclone. Any reason I should pick one over the other?

Lots of Leopard love on this site. Count me in too. A Champ Leopard is a rather different animal than a DX. (Pun intended.) If I weren't throwing a Polaris I'd be throwing a Champ Leopard as my primary driver. (FWIW I don't have a big arm.)

Do they overlap that much for you? I carry rocs and gazelles and find them useful in very different situations.

I threw Cyclones when they first came out. Back then they were the high speed distance driver. Don't get me wrong-they are a good beginer driver if you're playing on a fairly open course. I can throw my Buzzz just about as far, and alot straighter! Most 0f the people I play with don't use "fairway" drivers. We get better controll with a "mid" and if we have to air it out go right to a modern high speed disc like a Surge.

Polaris LS in the base Millenium plastic(Innova's Pro) in a lighter weight. I prefer 167ish max for drivers unless you're throwing fairways over 350.

The PLS will be a great transition. It has the turn of a leopard but a reliable fade back for those using drivers for their first times.

IMO, I like the leopard, but I'm going to throw another one into the mix of suggestions.. Whippet.

IMO, I like the leopard, but I'm going to throw another one into the mix of suggestions.. Whippet.

The Whippet is a one trick pony. It's very good at fading hard, and terrible for anything else. Solid disc, but not the best choice for a versatile fairway driver for shaping lines.

The Whippet is a one trick pony. It's very good at fading hard, and terrible for anything else. Solid disc, but not the best choice for a versatile fairway driver for shaping lines.

You just gotta know how to work one. I throw my Whippet on a humongous range of holes and shots inside of 300. They are so cash on a windy day.

Only thing I have trouble with them is getting that enormous skip and shooting past my target every once and a while.

re: Leopard
I see why everyone says this, but if this is the case i'd recommend a TL more. It's a touch straighter and longer. IMHO, it's a longer leopard. BUT, i am not sure he's looking for a solution in this range. If not, then the solution is probably a Buzzz, Roc, or Spider.

if Long Fairway: 225'+
Teebird
TL

if short fairway: 150'+
Any Putter
Roc
Buzzz

re: Leopard
I see why everyone says this, but if this is the case i'd recommend a TL more. It's a touch straighter and longer. IMHO, it's a longer leopard. BUT, i am not sure he's looking for a solution in this range. If not, then the solution is probably a Buzzz, Roc, or Spider.

if Long Fairway: 225'+
Teebird
TL

if short fairway: 150'+
Any Putter
Roc
Buzzz

I've actually been casually searching for a TL in my local stores. FWIW, my main mid right now is a Roc, which I'm becoming somewhat proficient with.

New thread topic: TL vs. Leopard. Go!

You just gotta know how to work one. I throw my Whippet on a humongous range of holes and shots inside of 300. They are so cash on a windy day.

Only thing I have trouble with them is getting that enormous skip and shooting past my target every once and a while.

Yes, it's possible to make a whippet do what you want, but you're going to get better results and learn better form by using something in the middle of the stability scale rather than learning to crank over one of the more overstable discs on the market.

Latest posts