• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] First overstable fairway driver?

MNTreekiller

Hi, I've been using a star TL and champion leopard(weight 169ish) as my main drivers and I'm looking to purchase my first overstable driver. This will be a dedicated hyzer/ mild wind fighting disc. My throw tops out at 275-300. I'm leaning between a banshee or a heavy champion tee bird. Advice? If banshee, would dx plastic work? I tend to prefer dx as I enjoy the aging process and could buy two discs for the price of one champion. thanks

Stags tried to be Teebirds...and failed. More like TLs, maybe. Not a good suggestion.

Of the two suggested, go with the Teebird everytime. Banshees are quite a bit more OS and won't work well for the long, glidey hyzers that Teebirds excel at. Not until it's very, very beat in anyway. Or you could always get a DX Banshee and a DX Teebird and see which you like better. If you dig the Teebird, upgrade to Champ. If you dig the Banshee, the DX one will last a good while because it starts off so OS anyway.

Hi, I've been using a star TL and champion leopard(weight 169ish) as my main drivers and I'm looking to purchase my first overstable driver. This will be a dedicated hyzer/ mild wind fighting disc. My throw tops out at 275-300. I'm leaning between a banshee or a heavy champion tee bird. Advice? If banshee, would dx plastic work? I tend to prefer dx as I enjoy the aging process and could buy two discs for the price of one champion. thanks

You could go to Innova's Pro Shop and get an Echo Star Banshee for $8 or a Factory Second Champion for $11 or any amount of Overstable discs.

I think great option for this slot, and largely overlooked is the Vibram Ascent. Nice OS fairway, keeps its OS quality for a long time, has beef but isn't a meathook. Better wind fighter than Stag.

I got one at a Birdie Bash 2 years ago, and it's pretty much the same disc today as it was then.

I'm in the same distance range and I'm throwing a Teebird for that overstable fairway driver slot. It's not super overstable for me tho, but mine is very low weight (160g). I'm thinking about getting a Saint Pro, not sure if that's classified as a fairway driver or a control driver

I'm in the same distance range and I'm throwing a Teebird for that overstable fairway driver slot. It's not super overstable for me tho, but mine is very low weight (160g). I'm thinking about getting a Saint Pro, not sure if that's classified as a fairway driver or a control driver

Another great option.

Get a DX Banshee. In the DX, with a little use, it will become glidey and still OS enough for your needs. I think the Banshee is the clear choice. Like you said, with the cost you can buy 2. Throw whichever you pick and put the other on a shelf. Once you get one good and beat, to the point that it's straightening out/flipping in the wind, put the other in the bag. You'll start to understand how cycling works first hand.

Your TL should be stretching out to 325-350 before you go heavy and more stable with the same speed in premium plastic.

Max weight DX teebird, mid weight DX Eagle, or a lightish (160s) DX Banshee. If you want to move up to premium plastic, I'd suggest the champ, circle stamped Cheetah from the pro shop, it's champ Gazelle stable and still in stock.

If I named myself treekiller, I'd go with a one good champ over two dx every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

A dx firebird. It will beat in quick but I loved that disc. If you want premium I would second a champion Teebird!

My Stags are longer Teebirds. At least as stable. I dunno. Im not sure if that speaks to Innova's inconsistency or Westside's. If he's throwing a TL and wants OS I dont know I'd recommend a Teebird or a Stag.

if you want something in baseline thats going to handle wind and be overstable try a Firebird.

Teebird is probably exactly what you're looking for at your power level.

You could also check out a Rival for a similar flight to a Teebird, just a little less HSS. If you want something that is closer in speed to your TL and Leo, check out a Discmania FD2. Good wind fighter and will wear into a very workable disc after some time. Finally, if you want to bump up in speed, PD, OLF, or Thunderbird will serve you well.

Champ teebird, super solid mold and very popular for a reason, at your power level it will be the stability you want in light wind. when you can hit 350'+ get a C-PD and maybe a firebird for the real windy days and reliable placement shots. If you like Innova plastic just stick with them, dont listen to anyone who tells you to switch especially the Trilogy European plastic cult :)