• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

First Post - intro

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to introduce myself. I apologize if there is already a thread for this purpose. I tried searching but came up empty.

I have been playing disc golf for a numbers of years. I began playing on a heavily wooded course called golden hills in christiansburg va.I played very frequently and managed to shoot near par the majority of the time. Unfortunately, due to the nature of that course, I relied heavily open thumbers and tomohawks. I almost never threw backhand for anything other than approach and putts. As a result, my BH driving is atrocious.

Now that I have moved to an area with fairly open, longer courses I realize I didn't do myself any favors avoiding BH drives. I have recently joined a league in hopes of improving my technique. I have been seeing some improvement while using a dx leopard 171 but I am extremely inconsistent. Also, I can only manage meager distance compared to most of the people I play with(250 - 275). I still thumber a few drives because I know the risk is not worth the reward to drive backhand.

I guess I am just looking for advice. Any suggestions for improvement.

Welcome to the site, get ready for the ultimate extension of your disc golf addiction.

For technique advice, there's a technique forum.
For disc selection, there's an equipment forum (covers more than just discs too like baskets, shoes, socks, shirts, bags, eveything).
If youre looking for new plastic or to get rid of, we have an awesome market place.

This site has a lot to help disc golfers do what we love... Trolling (just kidding).

Again, welcome and enjoy :)

Last edited:
I like the gold tees at golden hills. The course there isn't nearly as heavily wooded as other courses in Va.

The solution is practice. Trial and error is the best way to improve. If something works keep doing it. If it doesn't work, try something else.

I like the gold tees at golden hills. The course there isn't nearly as heavily wooded as other courses in Va.

The solution is practice. Trial and error is the best way to improve. If something works keep doing it. If it doesn't work, try something else.

Your avatar photo makes me jealous EVERY time I see it...

Yeah, some people have walk-in closets for their clothes - this guy has a walk-in closet for his plastic.

My only question is, is it humidity-controlled? :D

(end threadjack)

Oh yeah, welcome to the madhouse :D

I've read through alot of the technique forum. I have watched video clips. I guess I need to find more time to practice but thats hard with a 4 month old baby.

oh, don't get me wrong, I like Golden Hills. I used to play it at least 3 times a week. It was just easier for me to thumber and not learn backhand.

If it helps:

Bag:

Champion Valkyrie 150
Star Sidewinder 167
Champion Teebird 171(just got it in the mail)
DX Leopard 171
Optiline XXX 172(Just got it in the mail, specifically for thumbers)

Champion Panther 171
X Buzz 174(Just got it in the mail)

Champion Aviar (unsure of weight)

Welcome! I reccomend joining a league, if not already in one, and playing with good BH throwers who can help you with your form. And practice!

First off, welcome to the site, its full of info to help your game, but my best advice is play with folks that are better than you. Watch what they are doing and ask questions, most golfers will be more than happy to give you tips.

Another great way to get help is to get a video or two of yourself driving and post it here. A lot of folks here will be able to point out the flaws in your form (nearly all of use here have them) that you can work on.

I have recently joined a league in hopes of improving my technique. I have been seeing some improvement while using a dx leopard 171 but I am extremely inconsistent. Also, I can only manage meager distance compared to most of the people I play with(250 - 275).

Welcome! I reccomend joining a league, if not already in one, and playing with good BH throwers who can help you with your form. And practice!

He just said that? l2read

Welcome , keep playing the league and ask plenty of questions.

Latest posts