• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

First Post: Thoughts on my bag?

Wigeon

Hi all,
I am a casual player; I don't get to play as often as I would like. Sometimes it is as often as once a week and sometimes I go a month or two between rounds (2 kids under 3 years old and grad school doesn't help). I am kind of a neanderthal, I can get the disc out there but need to force myself to work on putting and finesse work. Looking forward to everyone's feedback.

Vitals:
Years playing/experience: 2.5 years (with several multi-month breaks)
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: right-handed
Throwing Style: RHBH, some OH and RHFH only for getting out of trouble
Golf Distance (avg/max*) for putter/mid/driver: Wizard: 220/260'; Buzzz: 260/300'; Teebird: 330/360', Destroyer 360/400,

* Max distance is the greatest distance you can throw your top 2-3 drivers with any regularity

Optional:
Sex: M
Injuries/handicaps? N/A
Other sport proficiencies?: N/A
Additional Information: I have never purchased a disc in a store. I am a bit of a cheapskate (have never paid more than $5 for a disc (ok paid $7 once)-have been given a few discs as gifts, do lot of trading and buying groups of discs (ex. 10 discs for $50)). Pretty much all of my discs are used, and my selection is based on what I can get off of the local FB page when people need tourney/beer money.
What do you like/dislike about your current bag?: I think I am doing ok, but I don't know what I don't know.
Specific areas of desired feedback: Thoughts?
Immediate and long-term goals: Raise my percentages for circles edge putting, play more.

Home course- Camp Sekani Jamboree in Spokane WA (Have played 60+rounds here, probably 80-90% of my rounds). It is the closest course to me, and I enjoy the challenge and the hike it provides. My best round there was a 53 - par 56. (-3, 3 birdies (#'s 1, 15, and 16), 1 bogie on 7). I am very inconsistent but an average round for me is probably +7, bad is above +10, and good is +5 or under. I have only shot under par the one time, and have shot par once.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=5029

Bag: Innova Deluxe with backpack straps. This was a gift from a friend when he moved up in bag (I was using a lunch box with 4 discs, haha). I try to keep the bag at 15 discs. It is easy to remember, and to make sure I am not leaving any behind. It also leaves room to carry a disc if I find one during the round until I can return it to it's owner. I carry a 32 oz water bottle, some granola bars, a first aid kit, a lacrosse ball to get discs out of trees, disc lights and tape etc.

Drivers (weight/plastic/model/(condition)/use): (Not used a ton as I can reach most holes with my fairways, but they each have a hole on my home course I use them on).
169 Champion Destroyer - (7/10) - straight, flips up and goes pretty straight, small fade at end
174 C PD - (8/10) - long hyzer drives, spike hyzers past FB range
170, Champion Firebird - (7/10) - OS utility, get out of trouble (once or twice a round usually- OH, FH rollers, FH)
175 G-Star Sidewinder - (6/10) - Hyzer flips, flips up to flat, and finishes right. Can throw on a huge hyzer angle and still flips up and over. A few holes on my home course this is very helpful. Can bomb 360-380 ish if thrown high.

Fairways (Most used discs off the tee).
175 Champion Eagle - (8/10) - Straight to slight hyzer or anhyzer lines, has a good fade at end. This is my go to control driver when I need fade. This replaced my Teebirds as they broke in and started flipping sometimes and sometimes not.
172 Star Eagle PFN - (5/10) - Beat when I got it, this replaced my flippy Teebird when it got too flippy and overlapped with the leopard. Straight wooded tunnels. Dead straight 300-320+, flips up to flat and tries to fight right a little, finishes straight. This is my go to control driver when I need straight with no fade.
170 G-Star Leopard - (7/10) - Hyzerflips when the sidewinder is too much disc. Thrown flat it will finish right.

Mids: (sometimes off the tee, trying to do this more. Often for upshots past putter range.)
176 Metal Flake Champion Roc3- (10/10) - I just got this disc as a present for passing my comps in grad school; have only thrown it in the field. I think it will fill the OS mid spot that has opened up as my Buzzz has broken in.
179 X Buzzz - (5/10) - short tunnel shots, flips up and flies right a little, finishes slightly right or straight. I often use this disc off the tee on short holes and downhill/top of the world holes.
175 KC pro Roc - (4/10) - Beat to crap Roc, thrown on hyzer it still flips up and finishes right. Sometimes I feel like it flips too much, has become an accidental roller a few times. Sentimental value as it was my first mid but I find myself throwing the buzzz more as it breaks in but I still use it for one hole on my home course (with less spectacular results than a year ago). I feel it could be very useful if I learn how to power down and finesse.

Putters:
174 Champion Rhyno - (8/10) - I don't use this as much as I should but it is a good utility disc for hyzer up shots. I don't throw it off the tee but probably should.
167 Ion - (9/10) - Another recent acquisition, seems to go dead straight with little fade but I haven't thrown it much.
175 SSS Wizard - (7/10) - Stable headwind and outside the circle putter. Often use this for upshots, especially before I got the rhyno.
175 RFF Wizard - (4/10) - This was my first putter and it is beat to crap. Another one I don't use too much, but has sentimental value. It is soft and floppy, I use it for up shots that I want to stick, annys, and putts that I don't want to roll away.
172 RFF Wizard - (7/10) - Main putter

I could probably play a round with the sidewinder, star eagle, buzzz, and 172 wizard and not do much worse than normal. However, I feel the above bag is well set up for me and with playing more I will grow into it and start using more of the discs more often. Also, I play my home course 90% of the time and have adapted my bag mostly to that. I may change it up a bit if I went somewhere else that is more open and longer etc.

Super solid setup. I'd swap out that Buzzz for a straight Roc. But that is just me.

You can kill any course with that setup. 100% solid.

I agree, with 2.5 years experience with breaks in there, you have a nice lineup and defined roles for each. I see you improving a lot when life gives you time.

I was able to throw a round with the new Roc3. It really filled to hole that was left with my buzzz breaking in. I birdied two easy holes using it off the tee that had been eluding me without that slot filled. Now I am noticing my x buzzz breaking in and flipping more than I want it to sometimes. I think I may push it to the flippy mid spot, drop the KC Pro Roc that is really flippy and find a straighter mid. Probably a roc or buzz variant. Depending what I can buy or trade for locally . Thoughts?

great setup.
Do Not drop the floppy KC Pro Roc! They are a thing of beauty and not easily replaced. Cleaner form and more hyzer and watch how far it goes.

I was able to throw a round with the new Roc3. It really filled to hole that was left with my buzzz breaking in. I birdied two easy holes using it off the tee that had been eluding me without that slot filled. Now I am noticing my x buzzz breaking in and flipping more than I want it to sometimes. I think I may push it to the flippy mid spot, drop the KC Pro Roc that is really flippy and find a straighter mid. Probably a roc or buzz variant. Depending what I can buy or trade for locally . Thoughts?

I think it depends a lot on feel. Maybe give Buzzz variants a try in Z plastic. That's probably Discraft's strengths, and you won't run into the same problem of going flippy.

If the Rocs feel right for you, you can't go wrong there. It may just be spending too much time on DGCR, but I always get the impression that Roc throwers can hit better lines... at least on the internets...

If you like Rocs, stay with Rocs. If you want something to try in the US mid, Comet. Plenty of Roc users like the Comet as well as it has a similiar feel.

great setup.
Do Not drop the floppy KC Pro Roc! They are a thing of beauty and not easily replaced. Cleaner form and more hyzer and watch how far it goes.

Is there such a thing as a roc that is too beat up? This was my first mid and it has hit its fair share or trees, often from very close when I was starting. I'm finding that it isn't going as far as it used to on a hyzer to turn over shot before it turns and burns into the ground. Is this probably me and form issues, or do rocs break in to this eventually? Or both?

Rocs are useful until they crack/ break. Never too flippy for rollers.

I have never really thrown rollers except as a get out of trouble shot, and then I throw a FH roller with a firebird or a putter. I hear of people having DX Rocs that have been in their bags for 10+ years. Are there uses for Rocs like that other than just rollers? I feel like if I power it down (which I don't ever do, no finesse here) that it would overlap with my putters. Thoughts? Uses for beat to crap Rocs?

Last edited:

Sounds like a good bag.

For that straight mid... maybe a Star or Champion Roc3, which won't be as overstable as the Metal Flake Roc3. Another thought is an Opto Sockibomb Compass.

Very solid bag! IMHO

It sounds a lot like mine that is forming after about 5 months of playing,

Like you, i think my scores would be just as good if I carried only about 4 discs, but sadly I now tote around about 20 :(

I was able to go throw again and made a change. I dropped the leopard and added a fairly straight San Marino Star Roc. I'm trying to throw mids more off the tee. I think this disc will fill the hole that was developing. I didn't use the leopard much anymore. I think I can cover it with the sidewinder or buzzz. Now I need to go do field work with my mids and decide if there is too much overlap.

I have never really thrown rollers except as a get out of trouble shot, and then I throw a FH roller with a firebird or a putter. I hear of people having DX Rocs that have been in their bags for 10+ years. Are there uses for Rocs like that other than just rollers? I feel like if I power it down (which I don't ever do, no finesse here) that it would overlap with my putters. Thoughts? Uses for beat to crap Rocs?

A really beat base plastic anything can be really useful for weird lines that would be easier with a FH. The more BH dependent you are, usually the more useful a really flippy can be.

I like your bag too. The mids are the only thing I'd try to straighten out; Rocs and Buzzzes feel too different to me to bag together.

Latest posts