• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] First Run Z Drones

Stable

* Ace Member *
Are the First Run Z Drones made out of the usual Z plastic or are they made in a z/esp blend like the Z Hornet? I want one only if they are making them in the usual, super durable Z plastic like they use for Wasps. Anybody know?

I don't know what edition mine was, but it was regular Z plastic. I always hated the softer version the Hornets were made out of.

Ever try a Gateway Demon? They're superior in every way IMHO. The Evolution plastic is pretty durable and feels great.

No. It's a run of Z that's opaque. They are less overstable than the flat and firm FLX Drones but don't change. I have several of them, and I never had to replace my first one.

So they are the same regular durable Z plastic and you can't see through them so they are probably brighter in color. I will be ordering one for sure.

So they are the same regular durable Z plastic and you can't see through them so they are probably brighter in color. I will be ordering one for sure.

Ohhhh...you're talking about the First Production Run. Sorry. I thought you were talking about the 09 era. Ignore my posts then.

I threw one today and it was very stiff and grippy. It was probably just as overstable as my glow gator if not more because it was new. No idea how it will break in but it was a pretty nice os mid.

I threw one today and it was very stiff and grippy. It was probably just as overstable as my glow gator if not more because it was new. No idea how it will break in but it was a pretty nice os mid.

I have been thinking about dropping my Hornet for a few reasons and replacing it with either a Z Drone or a Glo CFR Gator. Could you compare the two more?

Way better than the FLX Drones. I think they have more glide faster and have less high speed turn and the opaque z plastic is beautiful!

I have been thinking about dropping my Hornet for a few reasons and replacing it with either a Z Drone or a Glo CFR Gator. Could you compare the two more?

Well honestly I have never thrown or even held a hornet but brand new the Z drone is quite OS. I would say it has a tad more glide than my glow gator but equal fade. The gator feels much better in my hand personally but I like beaded discs. Very similar mids imo.

I am really on the fence between Z Drone & CFR Gator. The main reason I'm looking to part with the Hornet as my OS Mid is b/c it has too much glide & the Z/Esp plastic isn't very durable. After a little beating it starts to loose it's fade & I need that in my OS Mid slot.

I am really on the fence between Z Drone & CFR Gator. The main reason I'm looking to part with the Hornet as my OS Mid is b/c it has too much glide & the Z/Esp plastic isn't very durable. After a little beating it starts to loose it's fade & I need that in my OS Mid slot.

I carried a hornet and a 09z drone for a while and wanted to like the hornet but it was a glideless turd. Still love the drone but once I tried out a prodigy m1 both hornet and the drone came out of the bag. I never thought I would have a bag without a drone But the m1 is awesome. More glide than a drone and i forgot the hornet even existed lol.

I've had 3 rounds of play with the First Run Z Drone (177g). It was exactly what I was looking for as a replacement of my Hornet. Easily the most overstable mid I've ever used. It fades harder and has less glide than the Z Hornet I had been using for a while. Exactly what I wanted. Made of real deal Z plastic, no ESP/Z blend like the Hornet. Once again, another awesome Discraft mid enters my arsenal. Hornet had served me well, just didn't need it after discovering the Teebird.