• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

First Tournament: How'd YOU feel?

Nemmers

Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
Playing in my first tournament tomorrow at Castle Hayne. Totally psyched. I have no delusions about how I'm gonna finish -- I suck! -- but I think playing with people who are better will not only up my game, but up my concentration. I don't want to slow them down because of my inexperience or my lack of knowledge of the organized version of the sport though, so that's what I've been thinking about.

How did y'all feel before you played in your first organized event? And how did you feel after? Just curious.

I guess what it boils down to is: What did you wish you knew before you played in your first tournament?

Honestly I was very hesitant to play the tourney scene because of my perceived lack of skill I had in myself. I actually ended up doing well in my first tourney. I think my answer to your question would be, I wish I knew how fun and laid back the tourney scene actually is. Just have fun man, enjoy your first tourney and the experience. Most ppl will be more than happy to play on your card as long as you're having a good time.

I played my first tourney at Castle Hayne too. I was pretty mindful of most of the rules but I did get warned about tossing a previously thrown disc at my bag while setting up for a putt. Chances are good you'll probably make a dumb rookie mistake like that too but you just have to shrug it off.

I think the biggest thing I had to adjust to was either early morning rounds or the complete seriousness of the mood. I'm more use to cracking jokes and self-deprecating humor but playing with strangers sometimes it feels like you're at a funeral. Watch out for fun-sucks that throw temper tantrums if they're playing bad, they can subconsciously hurt your score, I swear.

For the Castle in particular: Play to your strengths and stay on the fairway. Have amnesia over the bad holes and stay relaxed. That course gets a lot of people for trying too hard.

I played in my first tournament last week. Shot a 63 at the first course. Best guy in our card had a 54 and the worst was 73. Lol

Just play your game and you'll be good.

I played in my first tournament last week. Shot a 63 at the first course. Best guy in our card had a 54 and the worst was 73. Lol

Just play your game and you'll be good.

Did you have fun? That's what is most important. Also, I'm trying to figure out who you are.

Did you have fun? That's what is most important. Also, I'm trying to figure out who you are.

It was horrible!

Haha just kidding. I've never met you but you certainly put on a great tournament along with Ben. It was a blast though. I'll certainly be playing in more.

I wish I knew that I didn't have to try and be as good as the other players. I just needed to play my game, my way.

My first tourney was this summer. It was a doubles round, my partner and I were playing Rec and we got put on a card with 3 Open teams. When we walked to the starting hole and introduced ourselves and stated that we were first timers a couple of the guys made it clear we werent welcome.

This was an unsanctioned fund raising event.

Well those 2 guys would throw and wait for the other open teams to throw and start walking ahead while my partner and I still had to tee off.

Now being new I was getting very frustrated with the lack of etiquette exhibited by these 2 guys. What made up for it was whenever my partner and I would have a bad throw the other 2 teams were more than willing to offer advice.

I left the event with a bad taste in my mouth and was very weary of competing again. But I made a conscious effort to improve my game and never let any elitist d-bag stand in my way of progess.

So I guess what I am trying to say is just ignore the asshats and play every hole as best as you can and never let anyone make you feel inferior because you have never done this before.

I was nervous, and this caused me to miss some easy putts in the morning. At the end of the day during the second round I was exhausted. The pacing is much much slower than my normal rate of play. I had to get used to that. Finished six in intermediate my first outing. Sucked ass at my second tourney. Just won my third. Sometimes things just click, and if it doesn't for you that day, it's no big deal. Learn from your mistakes and figure out what you need to work on for next time. BigSky has it right above. Just play your game. Don't pay attention to what anyone else is doing, focus on each throw. Take some healthy mid-round snacks, stay hydrated. Have fun.

Going into my first and only tournament, I knew I was throwing like crap to begin with. Because of that, I felt rather freed up to just throw. It was a good way to go in as I normally put alot of pressure on myself, even in casual rounds. I learned that I'm definitely not fond of getting up before noon and I also prefer a much quicker pace of play (my typical rounds at that course are less than an hour and our tourney rounds were taking 3-4 hours).

Overall, I'd say just go in with no expectations. Try to relax and throw smooth and not worry about your score.

I was nervous as hell for my first one, and then I went on to play 7 or 8 more tourneys in a little over a year. Tips: Have a short memory after you shank a drive or miss an easy putt, because both will happen. Also, respectfully and tastefully crack some kind of joke about your bad drive or missed putt. It will break the ice with your card mates and set a relaxed atmosphere. "Man, my friggin' grandma could've made that putt." A relaxed version of you will play better than a nervous/angry version of you every time!

It was just another round to me. My friends had nagged me for years to start to play tournies and I finally gave into peer pressure and played. I got to play my first round with 2 of my buddies and it was a blast, then the second round I got paired with another one of my firends. I came back from the 6th card to win it. O the joys of intermediate.

Ignore dwelling on the score card during the round; play each hole as a separate challenge irrespective of what you did on earlier holes. Saying, oh, I need to birdie the next 2 or so holes to get to whatever score you hope for, it just adds too much expectations and can lead to disappointments.

I'm not a newbie, but I still mainly go to tournaments for the atmosphere. The competition isn't that big of a deal to me, but having all those disc golfers in one location is usually just a fun time.

I guess what it boils down to is: What did you wish you knew before you played in your first tournament?

Yep, thats exactly right. I didnt really know to lay up. I didnt really know to do anything smart, haha.

I was terrified, ridiculously nerverous at my home course 3 blocks away. Threw the worst two rounds I have there in 2 yrs. Threw at wrong basket on 5th hole, just stupid mistakes and was in my head untill last 5 holes. That said I finished 2nd to last In rec. But I was outdriving some adv masters and both guys on my rec card tqlked to me after sqying they saw where my game is and my score didn't show it. Gave me great confidence and encouragement to keep playing tourns. Have beat guys on that card since so getting your first out of way wi be a huge weight off. Just hqve fun and kno it may be ugly

I was afraid that I was about to take a hobby that I enjoyed and ruin it for myself by becoming too serious. Turns out that I got put on a card with a couple of really nice older guys (we were all playing advanced grandmaster) and had a great day. I've played two tournaments since and enjoyed each one.

I feel like if I'd been carded with jerks at that first tournament it would have likely been my last.

Just got back from my first monthly with the New Hanover Disc Golf Club. Great bunch of people, they are. Played in the Rec division -- I think there were six or eight of us -- and the first round got paired up with a couple of cool guys. They were really down to earth and I felt right at home with them, but I still had the first-tourney bubble-guts for some reason. Did not shoot well the first round.

Second round I'm on the last card. Only one guy shot worse than me first round. Shoulda figured it. Nevertheless, the two I'm paired with were the guy who shot worse and the guy who tied me. Turned out to be just the kinds of guys I like to play with: Beer drinkin' smack-talkers. Love it. Had a great time and even improved my score by five strokes on the second round. Nevermind the fact that we had to play behind the top card and those dudes (with the peanut gallery in tow) took FOR. EV. VER. Three hours to play 18 holes. Thank God for barley, hops, and Pandora.

I was really impressed overall. A very professionally run, friendly tournament. I will definitely be back. The guys at The Castle run a tight ship and make newcomers feel welcome. I'm glad I joined. Of course there are a few with egos, but those dudes reminded me of my days playing competitive chess. "Oh, you're over 40, unemployed, and live in your parents' basement but you're passing judgment on me because you can throw a frisbee at a basket in a park more accurately than I can?" LOL. Have to chuckle at those types of chuckleheads.

Regardless.....I had a ball and can't think of a better way to spend a Saturday. Great time with great people. If everyone's experience is like mine, I can't imagine disc golf not being the next big thing.

And thanks to y'all here for making a newbie feel at home! :)

Just got back from my first monthly with the New Hanover Disc Golf Club. Great bunch of people, they are. Played in the Rec division -- I think there were six or eight of us -- and the first round got paired up with a couple of cool guys. They were really down to earth and I felt right at home with them, but I still had the first-tourney bubble-guts for some reason. Did not shoot well the first round.

Second round I'm on the last card. Only one guy shot worse than me first round. Shoulda figured it. Nevertheless, the two I'm paired with were the guy who shot worse and the guy who tied me. Turned out to be just the kinds of guys I like to play with: Beer drinkin' smack-talkers. Love it. Had a great time and even improved my score by five strokes on the second round. Nevermind the fact that we had to play behind the top card and those dudes (with the peanut gallery in tow) took FOR. EV. VER. Three hours to play 18 holes. Thank God for barley, hops, and Pandora.

I was really impressed overall. A very professionally run, friendly tournament. I will definitely be back. The guys at The Castle run a tight ship and make newcomers feel welcome. I'm glad I joined. Of course there are a few with egos, but those dudes reminded me of my days playing competitive chess. "Oh, you're over 40, unemployed, and live in your parents' basement but you're passing judgment on me because you can throw a frisbee at a basket in a park more accurately than I can?" LOL. Have to chuckle at those types of chuckleheads.

Regardless.....I had a ball and can't think of a better way to spend a Saturday. Great time with great people. If everyone's experience is like mine, I can't imagine disc golf not being the next big thing.

And thanks to y'all here for making a newbie feel at home! :)

During the azalea we played 4 hour rounds at the castle. ...

Latest posts