• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

First Tourney. Suggestions for a noob?

tomjulio

Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
Been playing now since May, and am addicted, obvious right? Am entering my first tourney with friends on Saturday at Valley View in Wisconsin. Signed up for the advanced level as I am shooting on average a few strokes below pro-par the past few times I have played the course. A -7 this week as my best score.

So question. What are good recommendations on playing my first tourney? Things to be aware of? prepare for? what should I expect? hints? tricks? special joystick/button cheats, etc?

Bring a lunch. Get a portable chair or stool, because sometimes the wait between holes can be a while. Make sure you have all your discs in order. Don't forget your mini marker disc. Make sure you have pleanty to drink with you.

Don't plan on doing much after the tournament, because you will be quite tired.

Bring a lunch. Get a portable chair or stool, because sometimes the wait between holes can be a while. Make sure you have all your discs in order. Don't forget your mini marker disc. Make sure you have pleanty to drink with you.

Don't plan on doing much after the tournament, because you will be quite tired.

always thought the carrying around of the porta chair seemed kinda lame. But it is easily becoming the number one thing I am hearing about slow playing tourneys. now it ain't sounding so bad.

The chair is a must! I use mine to put my bag on it more then as a seat.
Other things besides being prepared w/ snacks, water & discs, towel, bug spray ect.
I usually (counter to most players) don't play holes during warm up time...there is nothing like the panic feeling looking for a lost disc as the two minute warning is about to blast.
You will find tourney golf is not like your regular game...you'll end up seeing parts of the course you never knew existed!
Good luck!

Maybe it's just the tournaments I've been in (it hasn't been very many) but my observation is that the slowest groups are the ones who have the chairs. Many of them spend the time getting it out to sit on it between every throw rather than just when there's going to be a long wait at a hole. It seems like more trouble than it's worth to me (carrying it around, setting it up, tearing it down, etc), but I know I'm in the minority.

Snacks and water are both good things to have. Things like medical tape, towels and clothing layers are nice, too. I'd normally say bug spray, but I'm not sure how big of an issue that will be this time of year in WI.

Just play your game. Don't try to emulate the other players's shots and strategies, but pay attention to what they do. It's a good way to learn stuff to incorporate into your game.

#1 thing: Have Fun!! Since it's your 1st time there are absolutely no expectations.
I like to bring my iPod so I can tune out & relax. This also pulls my attention away from the other players shots (& emotions) & allows me to focus on my own play.
Keep track of your own score so you can double-check the card at the end of the round.
Todays golf chairs are pretty easy to set up & take down. I'm old so I use one to conserve energy. You are always stopping out on course for something/somebody. Might as well sit down & relax.

Keep track of your own score so you can double-check the card at the end of the round.
Good point.

At a tourney scorekeeping duties are usually rotated. On an 18-hole round each player in the foursome usually keeps score on the scorecard(s) for four or five holes and then hands off to the next player in the foursome. Be prepared to do that.

I usually keep my own personal scorecard anyway since I'm tracking my number of putts too (for the DGCR scorebook).

ERic

If you need a chair, this is the one to get. Its Called the Game Hunter from Academy Sports And Outdoors. It only weights 1 pound and it unfolds in 2 seconds and folds up in 3 seconds. It has a shoulder strap to throw it over your shoulder and it has a zipper pocket under the seat. I have taken it to all my tournaments and it works great. Beats standing around or sitting on the ground. They retail for $10.

0332-02207-0200-p1.jpg

Another tip.....play the course, not your opponent. Don't try to "outdo" your opponent and wind up playing outside your game. If you are familiar with the course, throw your drive like you normally do, <or try to>.
Main thing though...HAVE FUN!

special joystick/button cheats, etc?

Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start, Start.

Wait, or is it: pause the CD of the album at the very beginning, starting the DVD or tape of the film with the TV volume muted, and un-pausing the CD when the black-and-white MGM lion roars for the third time.

I was going to say leave the one hitter and six pack at home but I won't. I don't want to start that whole debate up again.

Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start, Start.

Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A Select Start

Valley View is a short course, mostly through the woods so I wouldn't recommend the whole chair idea. If you played in the Howler at Dretzka Park, a chair was a must because we were over-booked, playing sixsomes and even a few eightsomes on the holes. But just take your time, line up your putts and you should be golden.

Last edited:
i played my first tourney last weekend and it was raining. i just brought an umbrella (mini one that can be shrunk to about a foot long. also i brought a regular ball golf pull over which is water resistant and still provides a full range of motion, gloves, hat, 3 gatorades and some cereal bars. i used everything i had in my bag, pullover, gloves etc. because it started out as 35 degrees then it went to 40 degrees and raining with bad wind, then 45 with a little bit of sun, i was changing clothes the whole 2 rounds.

but i was able to have all this stuff because of my bag, Revolution Dual Pack. it seems like its the only way to go in a tourney!

also about the chair, i was playing with 2 guys who brought them and after the first round they put them in their cars, not worth it unless you can attach it to your bag or something and not worry about it falling off or anything

Yeah, chairs always seemed like one more distraction to me. I've got the simple three legged and a folding one that can easily go over my shoulders, but I'd just rather sit on the ground, though I will sit in someone else's chair while they're throwing.

Get plenty of rest, eat a good breakfast and arrive a little early to warm up and do some stretches. Play YOUR game and play the course. Don't worry about finishing first, because your main goal of your first tournament should be is to have fun (if you have to high of expectations, your playing in the wrong division. I would even suggest playing in the lowest possible division [and cream your opponents] . since you don't have a PDGA rating yet).