• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

first tourney this weekend

bthoma1

Eagle Member
I just got a pdga number and am playing in my first tourney this weekend. Advice?
How did your first tourney go?

Is your first tourney at a course you know very well? Or is it a fairly new course?

Its actually at two courses. One is my home course the other i know but dont get out there much

Relax.
Have fun.
Review the rule book.
Get a good nights sleep.
Don't overeat at lunch.
Turn your phone off (or leave it in the car).
Stay out of your card mates line of fire.
Relax.
Have fun.

And yeah, I know I repeated a couple of those. Do all that, and I think you'll be anxious to do more events, even if you have a less than stellar score at the end of the day.

Let the other people in your groups know that its your 1st tournament. Most of us are quite sympathetic, and more likely to help you through it. The hardest part will probably be the change of pace. The flow is usaully a lot slower than playing casually. And yes, the most important thing is to have fun!

I have played in ~10 tournaments and the pace of play still screws with my game a little bit. Be prepared to wait! Make sure to have water with you and a little snack on the course. If you are playing in the snow you are going to need a dry pair of shoes and socks for the second round or you will be miserable.

Be cognizant of your plant foot and follow through during your drives/fairway shots. It is easy to fall into the trap of trying too hard your first few holes and letting your form go to crap. Don't want to give your card mates any ammo early I the round or they will be watching you closely for all 18.

Just remember you have to not worry about how well the other people are doing. If you have things you do during your casual rounds, do them during the tournament, unless it's talking or blasting music. Put some headphones on..

Its actually at two courses. One is my home course the other i know but dont get out there much

On your home course, it's easy to set some high expectations for yourself. You know what you can score when your game is really on. But you have to go in with the understanding that you're probably not going to be shooting your best round ever.

Mistakes happen, and tournament play has a way of really magnifying those mistakes. To be a good tournament player, you have to be able to quickly forget those mistakes and just focus on the next shot.

Eat before and/or have something to eat in your car. Backup your discs & clothes.
I have an idea what tournament you're playing in. All that ice should make for an interesting day..
Good Luck dude!

Get there early and warm up, at least your putts. I've noticed a HUGE difference in how I did in tournaments that I warmed up for half an hour to the tournaments I didn't.

Eat, and make sure you have snacks/drinks. Nothing is worse than feeling weak because you're dehydrated and have low blood sugar.

Have fun, and good luck!:thmbup:

Don't get all bummed out if you finish last in your division. the things you learn in your first few tourneys will help you down the road. I finished DFL in my very first rec tourney. it was a long drive back to Indy from Dayton.

All great advice. Thanks guys. Im def already in the mindset of bringing extra socks and shoes and just playing the course. Im gonna to try and sneak out today and throw some

Well that up and sucked..not only was I one stroke off my worst round at my home course.I did shoot my worst round at the second course. Tourney feelings got me..well if played my worst there is only one way to go!

Well that up and sucked..not only was I one stroke off my worst round at my home course.I did shoot my worst round at the second course. Tourney feelings got me..well if played my worst there is only one way to go!

That's a good attitude to have after that. A lot of people either ignore the warnings or just under estimate the amount of culture shock there can be in playing a tournament for the first time, so when it happens their reaction is to just swear it off forever.

Sounds like despite your less than desirable results, you're ready and willing to give it another go. It will get better, and so will you.

Latest posts