• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

First Video Submission - let me have it

Bradimous1

Bogey Member
I started playing very casually when I was in college. 20 years later, I decided to pick the game back up. I have been watching a lot of videos, including but not limited to, the videos on here. I recently stumbled upon a video by Will that really made sense to me.

Since there is a couple inches of snow on the ground, I hung a net in my basement to throw into. Since I'm throwing into a net, how do I know I'm getting better. So I come to you all, the masters of disc golf, to help me improve my game. This is my first year back and I was averaging around a +6 at the Hollows in Manchester NH before the snow hit, then the wheels fell off as I was more worried about falling than my form.

I have really tried working on my my footwork, including bracing. How is my footwork and what should I work on next?

***any tips for getting the video uploaded from my iPad?

Last edited:
How is my footwork and what should I work on next?
No bueno. Keeping your posture more athletic/upright/stacked dynamically and turning your body further back/getting it out of the way.

Your front foot is turning open(also causing opening the hips and start swinging before your weight shifts forward) and landing on the heel/flat footed. This is opposite of how Will plants, he turns his front foot closed into the plant and lands toes/instep first, then crushes the can with the heel going forward, so his weight shifts forward from behind him, before turning the hips or swinging the arm/disc forward.

You also hold the disc with both hands which is a bad habit and rounding your swing instead of keeping the disc on a straight line outside your body, but the biggie is that you don't turn your hips/shoulders nearly far enough back at the plant.

Thanks Sidewinder. I actually don't have 2 hands on the disc, they are just very close. You can see in the first throw that I have a disc in my other hand when throwing. I appreciate the advice on the footwork and will get back to work on it.

I had a feeling that I was opening up to soon/never really closing the stance.

Thanks Sidewinder. I actually don't have 2 hands on the disc, they are just very close. You can see in the first throw that I have a disc in my other hand when throwing. I appreciate the advice on the footwork and will get back to work on it.

I had a feeling that I was opening up to soon/never really closing the stance.

Second throw you do most certainly grab the disc with both hands.

I am basically about a year ahead of you in a very similar place. I played about 25 years ago poorly for a little while and re-discovered the game with a new course in my hometown. Time more than anything keeps me from proper throwing practice, but what I would say is until you have your form more nailed down there isn't that much to gain by full power Xstep into a net.

In a field you get to watch the disc fly and do what it does and that is feedback, into a net? Unless you shank and miss the net there isn't a lot of feedback on if you are doing right or wrong. The best way to use it is focus on standstill and smooth and easy. Get that muscle memory built up and for one leg drills and arm angles and grip. Jump back and forth between doing the drills in the videos SW posted and throwing a disc a few times focusing on balance and posture and what not.