• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Flashing and stability

olemiss5931

Eagle Member
In your experiences does removing the flashing on a disc change the flight characteristics at all? I dont see it being as noticable on mids and fairways but for me, it makes high speed drivers noticeably more understable. There are people who are convinced it doesn't change the flight at all but maybe these people aren't getting the disc up to speed to see the high speed turn. What are your thought/experiences?

In your experiences does removing the flashing on a disc change the flight characteristics at all? I dont see it being as noticable on mids and fairways but for me, it makes high speed drivers noticeably more understable. There are people who are convinced it doesn't change the flight at all but maybe these people aren't getting the disc up to speed to see the high speed turn. What are your thought/experiences?

I agree that it, along with any other slight changes in shape variation, affect high speed drivers the most. I have a freak mid 160's Pro Wraith that is far more high and low speed stable than any other Star or Pro I have thrown. After comparing it to some other Wraiths I have I realized it had a very noticeable amount of flashing at the very bottom of the wing that I am very certain causes in the increase in overstability. FWIW I can get Wraiths to 400ish with a moderate amount of high speed turn at that power.

You should have made a poll.

There are people who believe removing the flashing DRASTICALLY changes the flight characteristics. But maybe "these people" are removing more than just the flashing.

I couldn't tell you. But discs aren't intended to have flashing on them, so removing flashing doesn't change a disc's intended flight characteristics.

You should have made a poll.

There are people who believe removing the flashing DRASTICALLY changes the flight characteristics. But maybe "these people" are removing more than just the flashing.

It a also depends on the stock stability of the disc. Sometimes the plh is so high on the disc it's not gonna matter. A nuke os is gonna act super overstable flashing or no flashing but discs that have turn (beasts, wraiths, nukes etc) are gonna be more sensitive to flashing removal.

I couldn't tell you. But discs aren't intended to have flashing on them, so removing flashing doesn't change a disc's intended flight characteristics.

The wording in the rules is ORIGINAL flight characteristics, not "intended."

I agree. And wouldn't removing the flashing lower the overall PLH?

I don't see how the flashing's presence or removal can affect PLH. Since PLH is the position on the disc where the two halves of the mold meet, I think you're likely to find flashing present at the PLH, but how does removing the flashing affect where the seam on the disc (PLH) is positioned?

Last edited:
I thought that was the definition of "flashing" ... excess plastic that wasn't removed by the guys with knives at the factory ...

I don't see how. PLH is the position of the line formed where the two halves of the mold meet. How does removing the flashing affect where the seam on the disc (PLH) is positioned?

Plh is where the air separates to go over the top or bottom of the disc. The flashing on the bottom increases the height from the plh to the bottom of the disc. If you take 2 discs of exact plh and trim the flashing from one then lay then on a table, the one without the flashing will have a lower plh.

Last edited:
Plh is where the air separates to go over the top or bottom of the disc. The flashing on the bottom increases the height from the plh to the bottom of the disc. If you take 2 discs of exact plh and trim the flashing from one then lay then on a table, the one without the flashing will have a lower plh.

Is that true as a blanket statement? I thought Prodigy's parting line was actually on the underside of the wing.

Is that true as a blanket statement? I thought Prodigy's parting line was actually on the underside of the wing.

Thats impossible. The parting line is where the air seperates not the little line left over from molding which may be where the term came from.

Parting Line in Injection Molding

Parting line is just where the top and bottom molds meet.

I'm not saying that doesn't make it impossible for it to not be where the air separates, but if you're trying to define "parting line", it's "where top and bottom molds meet" not "where air separates".

Last edited:
The extra bit of plastic leftover from where the different mold pieces come together during molding is called flashing, not the parting line. The PLH in discs we refer to is where the top and bottom parts of the mold meet (the nose of the disc, not the rim).

Prodigy does have flashing on the underside of the wing due to the easy release tech the mold meets in a different spot than say an innova disc

Latest posts