• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Flat Discs

bfowler

Double Eagle Member
I love my Discraft Avenger. My main one is starting to go very straight so I ordered another one to start another cycle. I just got it today. A nice neon green one with a red stamp, z line, and it's as flat as a pancake.

My older z-line it quite domey and other I've had and felt in stores have some dome to them. I've seen this in other discs.

What's the deal with some domey discs coming out so flat. It throws great HSS but at the end there is no glide and it just dumps after a small fade. Maybe it'll turn into something nice when I beat it in.

It's my biggest pet peeve with buying online. Sorry, had to vent.

I also have a bright green Z Avenger that's flat. I like it, and I'll occasionally use it if I want something without glide, or for an overhand shot, but I prefer domey Avengers. My favorite Avenger colors are pink and yellow. They tend to have very consistent domes.

If you stick with Z Avengers for a while (like I have), you'll notice that there are distinct differences between colors. Also, weight seems to affect Avenger's domes as well, with lighter weights molding up flatter.

I love my Discraft Avenger. My main one is starting to go very straight so I ordered another one to start another cycle. I just got it today. A nice neon green one with a red stamp, z line, and it's as flat as a pancake.

My older z-line it quite domey and other I've had and felt in stores have some dome to them. I've seen this in other discs.

What's the deal with some domey discs coming out so flat. It throws great HSS but at the end there is no glide and it just dumps after a small fade. Maybe it'll turn into something nice when I beat it in.

It's my biggest pet peeve with buying online. Sorry, had to vent.

its the cooling time on that run of discs. most companies do not monitor their cooling times and that adds variance to dome and plh. a huge reason why innova has so much variance between runs of discs

I also have a bright green Z Avenger that's flat. I like it, and I'll occasionally use it if I want something without glide, or for an overhand shot, but I prefer domey Avengers. My favorite Avenger colors are pink and yellow. They tend to have very consistent domes.

If you stick with Z Avengers for a while (like I have), you'll notice that there are distinct differences between colors. Also, weight seems to affect Avenger's domes as well, with lighter weights molding up flatter.

The Avenger SS and then the Avenger was the first discs I started with and the only disc that has never left my bag since I started. It's a green and a 166 while my other is a red 169. It makes a lot of sense with what you said. Guess I'll get me another red 169.

The Avenger SS and then the Avenger was the first discs I started with and the only disc that has never left my bag since I started. It's a green and a 166 while my other is a red 169. It makes a lot of sense with what you said. Guess I'll get me another red 169.

Most of the Avengers I throw are 170 or more. At those weights, the dome is usually always consistent. Also, I like them a lot more when the flashing is removed (assuming I want a straight Avenger isntead of a fresh stable one).

If you find any older ones, though, those are a little different. They are a little stiffer, they don't beat in as quickly, they have less dome, and they are a little more overstable when they're fresh.

Strangely enough, when it comes to Avengers, I actually prefer the newer runs to the older runs. Whenever you find the kind of Avenger you like, though, just buy some backups in that color/weight range, and they should all be the same. I don't think there are that many runs of Avengers being made right now.

As well as Discraft it would appear.

There is a difference between colors with Discraft, but if you have two discs of the same color and similar weights, they will be almost identical. Assuming, that is, that both discs are from similar time periods. The old stamp Z discs can be a little different from the new runs.

There is a difference between colors with Discraft, but if you have two discs of the same color and similar weights, they will be almost identical. Assuming, that is, that both discs are from similar time periods. The old stamp Z discs can be a little different from the new runs.

I actually like distinct differences between colors, especially when they are consistent. The same can be said for old echo star destroyers, which I throw religiously. The new ones are nothing like them. Probably a greater difference between old and new stock Innova than Discraft but I have had Wasps and Buzzzs all over the map. It's just funny to me how people usually cry foul on Innova when each company obviously has production duplication issues. I will be the first to admit that Innova has pulled some serious bulls**t(destrulcan&plus rims) but they all have their issues.

I've come to the sad conclusion that no two disc are alike no matter who makes them. Most of us just get good enough to compensate for the differences.

I like how the resistors have come out flat, and also the 11x firebirds. Flat discs are great for grip and take just a little longer to hit the sweet spot. I'll take flats except for a few exceptions.

Have found the same thing, that same color and same production run is when you will find the most consistency. After that a lot of variables can change. It can be a hard time to know when to buy backups and when a different disc may do the job better for your game.

Also, for all those Avenger fans/throwers, what is the current run of FLX Avengers like? Are they typically flat and overstable? Will they hold a straight flight without any turn and have decent fade?

Thanks for the help and goodluck finding backups!

Some time ago, I read a write-up that basically came to the conclusion that every blend of plastic will produce a slightly different dome from the way it cools. I don't know where it was, and I'm certainly not going to try to find it. I think the jist is that the rim and flight plate shrink at different rates ... so no, no two discs are the same. Weight and color differences are different additives. Plastic blends are changed every so often.

I just got a green one as a prize and it's flat as a board as well. The pink one I have is very domey though. I prefer the flat green one. It flies the way I expected my C-PD would.

Have found the same thing, that same color and same production run is when you will find the most consistency. After that a lot of variables can change. It can be a hard time to know when to buy backups and when a different disc may do the job better for your game.

Also, for all those Avenger fans/throwers, what is the current run of FLX Avengers like? Are they typically flat and overstable? Will they hold a straight flight without any turn and have decent fade?

Thanks for the help and goodluck finding backups!

I have only thrown one FLX Avenger, but it flew just as you described. I didn't really like it, though, because it had almost no glide. It was fairly heavy and board-flat, as most FLX Avengers tend to be.

Some time ago, I read a write-up that basically came to the conclusion that every blend of plastic will produce a slightly different dome from the way it cools. I don't know where it was, and I'm certainly not going to try to find it. I think the jist is that the rim and flight plate shrink at different rates ... so no, no two discs are the same. Weight and color differences are different additives. Plastic blends are changed every so often.

My friend's dad has a textile engineering degree, and he said that it's fairly common knowledge that different color materials, even if they're the same base compound, cool at different rates. He said it was fairly obvious to him that different colors would have different stabilities.

Latest posts