• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Flat Topped?

If someone calls you out on it, which would be very unlikely, just say you left it in your car, garage, found it in an old box, etc. Or you just search for freaks of a mold.

So your advice to us is to lie. :thmbdown: I'd rather not.

I only asked because a friend of mine had told me about him trying this with a couple older ESP Buzzz's he owns. He said they became as stable/overstable as they were when they were new and I was wondering if this would be a good way to reset the life cycle on a disc. I'm still not sure if this is legal since you are obviously altering the disc. If excessive sanding is considered illegal; I would also have to say that heating and altering the disc shape/dimensions of a PDGA approved production line disc is pretty sketchy as well.

Mark me down as a "medium dome > flat top > pop top" kinda guy when it comes to Rocs.

I use KC Pros as an overstable mid...the medium dome gives more glide and fade than the flat tops, which is what I want. People who compare Rocs and Buzzzes probably prefer the flat tops.

Giving Prerube a break and bumping an old thread on this. Interested in hearing any results with flat topping newer discs. I picked up an Icon Ghost the other day. It's turning far more right than I thought it would. I was expecting a stable roc like disc and got a domey version of the DD Fugitive. Something already in the bag. So....I flat topped it. A little. Will see if it makes it more overstable or not.

I like my Rocs to be really flat. I broke my thumb back in 1997 and I cant bend my thumb at the joint so flatter discs just feel better in my hand and give me a better release. You do get less glide out of the disc but I like it that way. Now that the ROC 3 is out it makes it easy to get flat Rocs again. I still have a stack of 11X KC Pro's that I will throw that have a little dome to them but I have to change my grip slightly for them.

I enjoy the factory flat top KC Rocs. Like has already been said, they are faster and less glidey. They quickly lose their fade and are straight as arrows on a 65% throw. I love them for their grip and accuracy, but there's also room for a stable glidey Roc in the bag with them. The Roc 3 fills that slot now even though they're flat. Once the flat KC's beat, they become squirrely though.

flatter versions of discs will fly a little faster, glide a little less, and are a little less affected by the wind. Therefore they fly a little more 'stable'.

You want a little dome with a Roc. Fans of flat tops might disagree, but a li'l dome gives more glide. When they get real beat, the flat tops sometimes seem less reliable to me than regular DX Ranchos.

I need to take my own advice and start a couple freshies into putting practice. Rocs fly so much better beat in and there's no better way to beat in a disc than throwing it at a basket.

This is all true. Many people like flat Rocs because they fly straigter but you should really just take the time to beat in a Roc that has a nice slight dome. Even when they get super beat a turnover Roc with a dome is still very dependable.

Flat tops are faster, but have less fade. They start out with decent fade and get straight quick. Flat topping a stock dx roc is about the same as buying a special run "flat top dx roc". Great disc tho, I throw my flat dx more than any other roc. It holds lines better and comes out more consistent on hyzers.

Flat topping my Ghost worked perfectly. It was like a new Z Comet when I bought it. Super domey and flippy as hell. Now it's got only a slight dome and flys close to my kc pro flat top roc. Little less glide but way more stability. I'm happy with it. I'll still probably trade it and bag the roc3 production stamp.

Please post a pic!

I wanted to get some more educated opinions on the pros/cons of flat topping discs. About a month ago I flat topped a DX Roc, and from my experiences it seemed to make it a touch faster, a touch more stable, and a little less glide.

Does anyone else have any experience with flat topping rocs? Or the differences you've noticed between domey and flat rocs?
***Can you post a picture of your modified disc from the side? DX Rocs are pretty flat already (IMHO) so I want to see what you've done :popcorn:

I have been using the plain old off-the-shelf DX 'Rancho' Rocs for my mid-range shots & as a Driver sometimes because of the straight flight with minimum fade. These discs are a dime-a-dozen & just need a liitle break-in period & then they fly so straight & glide forever with minimal fade. Once they get broken-in too much though they start to get flippy. So I am always pulling old Rocs out of my bag & rotating new ones in. I recently picked up a Glow Roc for cheap $$ & have been using that in place of the standard DX Roc. It seems to be about the same exact flatness as the standard DX plastic but is a touch more stable. It also seems to be resisting the normal beating-in process. It's still pretty stable (resisting the flip) even after I've had it in my bag for a long time now.

I got plenty of back ups and mids that I really haven't even thrown yet.... ones that I wanted to try out but haven't had time.

I was really interested in the "Flat Top Rocs" that were at the store last time I went, though. That's exactly what the factory sticker said on the bottom. I believe they had both DX and KC Pro and were charging like a buck over normal stock prices for them.

These are just regular runs that have been flattened at the factory, no? If the factory makes a "post production modification" then I don't see any reason why someone couldn't do the same thing. There'd be no way for anyone to tell the difference between one that was factory flattened and one that was done at home.

For people who like flat tops though, they're out there. I think it's weird that Innova presses out a batch and then flattens them and that's okay, instead of just making them the way they want in the first place. DC doesn't seem to have a problem making flat Wasps, but that's another story for another day. It's just strange that you can go to the store and pick up two identical discs, and one says "Flat Top Roc" and the other just "Roc".

Coming from a guy that only throws ching rocs. Ching rocs and "Flat top" roc's are not the same disc. The old ching rocs are mad overstable and take time to beat in. This is why i love them so much.

Latest posts