• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Flat vs. Domey?!?

DarrellR

Par Member
What is the big deal about a disc being flat or Domey? I have heard that a flat disc is more over stable but some else told me that a Domey one makes a disc over stable. If I have two exact discs and one is Domey and the other is flat, which would be over or under stable?

I just like the way flat discs sit in my hand. I don't like the way really domey discs feel.

Generally flat=overstable but it depends on the disc in question.

flat = faster... but not always longer.

this effects the speed at which air travels around the disc. Typically the faster a disc is thrown the more high speed turn it has (think flippy). However domey discs typically have more glide at slower speeds which tends to resist fading.

So flat disc compared to a domey disc typically has more finishing fade, but more high speed turn as well. Flat discs fly faster and have a better potential of distance due to holding its velocity longer. Domey discs have a better potential of distance due to glide.

Of course this varies by mold.

go throw em and find out! :p

I have...that's why I'm asking here.

I had 3 firebirds ( 1 glow flat top, a med champ firebird, and a normal med Domey firebird) threw them on a flat line, hyzer, and a hyzer lines. All threw seemed like the same.

I have a mamba that is Crazy Domey but can't tell if it's just because it's just an under stable disc.

I have...that's why I'm asking here.

I had 3 firebirds ( 1 glow flat top, a med champ firebird, and a normal med Domey firebird) threw them on a flat line, hyzer, and a hyzer lines. All threw seemed like the same.

I have a mamba that is Crazy Domey but can't tell if it's just because it's just an under stable disc.

Finding tiny differences in a massively overstable disc like firebird is a wild goose chase.

Mid range discs will be a better litmus test.

It really all depends on the mold. I had a pancake flat FB that was the meatiest meathook I've ever thrown. My flow has a huge dome and is pretty OS. My flat Leo is more US than the domey one I had. My flat vision is also pretty fliptastic, but in a really good way.

Like others have said...it really just depends on the mold. In my experience, which is limited, PLH plays more an important role than dome does. Stability wise, anyways...most of my domier discs have more glide than the flat ones.

500th post!

Basically it goes like this

A domey disc is gonna be slower but have more glide

A flat disc is gonna be faster but have less glide

A domey disc is harder to throw fast thus it may perform as more speed stable (that is you can't get it turn over cause you cannot get it up to it's intended cruising speed.....many destroyers with domes become beefy in many players hands)

A flat disc will get up to speed faster and thus can actually be easier to turnover and flip IF IT IS OVERPOWERED

At the same time a domey disc is more prone to wind and has more lift and can be easy to flip for this reason

at the same time a flat disc is less prone to wind and has less lift and resists flipping over

IT IS IMPORTANT TO REALIZE THAT LIFT CAUSES A DISC TO BECOME UNDERSTABLE. LIFT IS CAUSED BY DOMINESS AND SPEED OF FLIGHT. MORE AIR PUSHES THE UNDERSIDE OF THE DISC WHEN A DISC TRAVELS FAST THE SAME AS A JET AIRPLANE ROLLING ON A RUNWAY VS AFTER TAKOFF. AT THE SAME TIME THE DOMINESS CAUSES MORE AIR TO CATCH THE UNDERSIDE OF THE DISC AND CREATE LIFT. THINK OF A BI PLANE WITH MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF SURFACE AREA THAT GENERATES LIFT AT SLOWER SPEEDS.

A BI PLANE IS DIFFICULT TO GET GOING FAST DUE TO ITS EXCESSIVE WIND RESISTANCE

A JET IS EASY TO MOVE FAST DUE TO LESS WIND RESISTANCE

A DOMEY DISC IS DIFFICULT TO GET GOING FAST

A FLAT DISC IS EASY TO GET GOING FAST

A BI PLANE TRAVELING FAST WILL NOT PERFORM WELL AS IT WILL HAVE TOO MUCH LIFT

A JET FLYING SLOW WILL FALL OUT OF THE SKY

A DOMEY DISC IF THROWN TOO FAST WILL FLIP AND TURN

A FLAT DISC UNDERTHROWN WILL FALL OUT OF THE SKY HARD

Flat Orc's are farther flying than domey ones
Flat Forces seem to fly shorter than the domey ones.
Hopes this confused all who read it.

Flat, but purely for cosmetic reasons!:p

Kudos! This is what I was looking for!

Basically it goes like this

A domey disc is gonna be slower but have more glide

A flat disc is gonna be faster but have less glide

A domey disc is harder to throw fast thus it may perform as more speed stable (that is you can't get it turn over cause you cannot get it up to it's intended cruising speed.....many destroyers with domes become beefy in many players hands)

A flat disc will get up to speed faster and thus can actually be easier to turnover and flip IF IT IS OVERPOWERED

At the same time a domey disc is more prone to wind and has more lift and can be easy to flip for this reason

at the same time a flat disc is less prone to wind and has less lift and resists flipping over

IT IS IMPORTANT TO REALIZE THAT LIFT CAUSES A DISC TO BECOME UNDERSTABLE. LIFT IS CAUSED BY DOMINESS AND SPEED OF FLIGHT. MORE AIR PUSHES THE UNDERSIDE OF THE DISC WHEN A DISC TRAVELS FAST THE SAME AS A JET AIRPLANE ROLLING ON A RUNWAY VS AFTER TAKOFF. AT THE SAME TIME THE DOMINESS CAUSES MORE AIR TO CATCH THE UNDERSIDE OF THE DISC AND CREATE LIFT. THINK OF A BI PLANE WITH MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF SURFACE AREA THAT GENERATES LIFT AT SLOWER SPEEDS.

A BI PLANE IS DIFFICULT TO GET GOING FAST DUE TO ITS EXCESSIVE WIND RESISTANCE

A JET IS EASY TO MOVE FAST DUE TO LESS WIND RESISTANCE

A DOMEY DISC IS DIFFICULT TO GET GOING FAST

A FLAT DISC IS EASY TO GET GOING FAST

A BI PLANE TRAVELING FAST WILL NOT PERFORM WELL AS IT WILL HAVE TOO MUCH LIFT

A JET FLYING SLOW WILL FALL OUT OF THE SKY

A DOMEY DISC IF THROWN TOO FAST WILL FLIP AND TURN

A FLAT DISC UNDERTHROWN WILL FALL OUT OF THE SKY HARD

Dude....this makes sense. Thanks so much