• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Flexibility vs. Strength?

Strength, Flexibility, or Even Balance?

• Total voters
Risky proposition. What's to keep him from abandoning you and the team, so he can try to relive his glory days in the sequel. I'd talk with that guy that owns the historic gas station. Widower with a tomboy daughter, so he should have plenty of time to coach you. You might even get lucky and meet his brother former Cowboy superstar Kevin O'Shea.

You better hope that aliens don't show up and steal the talent from McBeth, Simon, and the East side of Charlotte, and force you to recruit your rec league buddies to battle for the future of our planet.

Strength, Flexibility, Athleticism, And Balance are all key components in many physical endeavors. However in Disc Golf the critical compenent is Timing. If you can get that elusive full force snap where you're harnessing everything your body has into your hands and wrist, then you must have darn good Timing.

Both are important, obviously. However, fast-twitch muscle fibers produce a greater and quicker force...pretty important for disc golf. These are developed by heavy lifting...strength training. That's not to say that flexibility isn't important. You want to maintain a good level of flexibility while you strength train.

If you stretch all day and do yoga to build flexibility but don't work on strength training, your game will go south. If you only build strength and neglect your flexibility, your game will go south also. I think if you are going to focus on one more than the other, you should focus on building strength.

It seems to me that most of our sport's furthest throwers and best players at the moment all started playing as young kids/preteens. To develop young/flexible muscles over time while actually playing may be the best solution of all.

In addition, many of these kids had dads/mentors who also helped them develop good technique from a young age.

Strength, Flexibility, Athleticism, And Balance are all key components in many physical endeavors. However in Disc Golf the critical compenent is Timing.

That's quite a wide net you have there. I'd like to meet such a person who has great strength, flexibility, balance and timing.. but zero athleticism.

I started hot yoga a few years ago. I feel it offers a good balance of strength and flexibility and has probably helped my game (not to mention other aspects of life). Even after 20 years of playing I feel like I can throw the farthest now and I'm gaining a small amount of distance every year it seems.

Yoga was pretty phenomenal to help me out, but so much of the Yoga I do is more strength focused than just stretching and flexibility. The balance is important. Leg and core strength are key.

And you can look at Paige Pierce, who throws further than most men on this forum. She has great technique, and yeah, she's pretty small, but obviously in shape and strong. She still can't throw as far as Schustrick, who looks skinnier, but has more muscle stretched out on that wiry frame. From that documentary about him a few years ago, he talked about working out and staying in shape to be able to play better longer. It doesn't require bodybuilder strength, but strength nonetheless, in balance with flexibility.

Flexibility otherwise I'd be throwing 600 feet with no problem.

But core strength and explosive power within your hips and thighs (and, to a lesser extent, glutes and hamstrings) is always a huge plus.

Neither. I believe a high concentration of fast-twitch muscle fibers, and good joint elasticity, are both more important determinants of someone's potential as a disc golfer than strength or flexibility. These are also harder to change by training than strength and flexibility. Coordination is also critical -- perhaps more critical than anything else. Upshots and putts are almost entirely about coordination.

Latest posts