• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Fling it or Finesse it??

Finesse all day. Mid range discs are just a way for companies like Innova and Discraft to make more money LOL

This is disc golf. We are talking in feet. Not yards.

It's either putter, fairway driver, or big driver for me.

Both. When I have an open course, I play drivers all the way (love the valk.)

on the other hand, on a tightly wooded course i tend to drive a lot with my ontario ROC. nice and straight for 200 or so feet

Do any of you choose to finesse a bigger disc instead of discing down??

I wouldn't have any aces if I didn't. :\

Holes I know like the back of my hand I'll use a driver but I'm definitely taking into account the fade and skip. I usually throw mids off the tee though.

I throw the slowest disc in my bag that I can while still hitting my line.

Finesse all day. Mid range discs are just a way for companies like Innova and Discraft to make more money LOL

This is disc golf. We are talking in feet. Not yards.

It's either putter, fairway driver, or big driver for me.

I'm the opposite of you. I've ditched the fairway drivers. My progression goes putter, midrange, hybrid (which I consider speed 9ish discs). My Buzzz was only a few feet (less than 30 usually) shorter than my Teebirds, so I saw no reason to keep them in the bag. Swapped them out for a faster disc and haven't looked back. There are mids out there these days (the majority of the well known ones at that) that are almost as long as a fairway driver, yet they deliver much more control and straighter lines.

Finnesse vs. Fling

Here's my take on this one. The course I play on is fairly open, but has some definate tricks to it. Our second longest hole, at 438 feet, requires either a big bomb around the right side tailing left at the end or a flipped drive from the left and having it die into a valley.
Now, I've tried just about everything I can think of. Flicking a Boss left and letting it go in. Too inconsistent. Throwing a Destroyer around the right side. Too far out. I now throw a 180 DX Roc around the left for 320 feet. I don't consider that a "fling" though. It's definately finesse (the gap is maybe 40 feet wide).
I always play finesse golf, which kills everybody I play against.

DRIVE FOR SHOW...PUTT FOR THE DOUGH!

Putter from 0-150'

Midrange from 150-225'

Driver from 225' and up.

Unless there are trees, elevation, water or wind that will change that whole plan. Or unless I just feel like throwing a certain disc that has been working well. In other words, I don't know what the hell I'm doing most of the time. I might as well be throwing darts blindfolded.

I generally use my mids when I can (with the exeption being sometimes choosing my overstable driver, ESP Pred, over my overstable Mid, FLX drone)

I rarely throw mid ranges or putters off the tee. That being said, I always throw a putter when I play that hole at Casitas!

It depends on the type of shot really, usualy a putter or a mid, but if it is a crazy shot, i might use the teebird for it.