• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Flip City

40 years of excellence...the grateful dead of disc golf.

Good analogy, some people won't get it because they came up in an era that was influenced by it and others, but remains great through subtle changes and unartogant growth.

my first time there it was the middle of the night and I was throwing at baskets I never saw and had no idea what was going on... so fun! When the sun did come up, I was even more impressed.

2nd course I ever played. After playing it I was under the impression that all courses would look like that......then I found out that sadly the were not.

I got to play it when the old baskets Bill just replaced were brand new, I believe 1998. Prior to that it was an object course with hole numbers painted on target trees. I absolutely remember some of those numbers still on some trees for awhile.

Had I known about the object course I would have played it for sure, but I didn't. My parents met at a nearby lake cottage resort 50 years ago and over the years (and still to this day) have gone back multiple times each year. We were at that resort in 1989 for sure (the year I played my first basket course back home in Indiana) because I remember the insane meteor shower that summer while stargazing over the lake at night when I was 16. Man, I wish I would've known about Bill's course then so I could say I played it in its object days! And I played a bunch of object Frisbee golf as a kid. LOVED it. Loved going around and making up courses as I went. I would've totally gone and played it with my Wham-O 165.

I loved the disc golf.
Loved.
But my favorite part were the cats that followed me around for the entirety of my round.
I shot really well AND I had a couple of pals.

The feeling of being on that course is diff than any other course i have ever played. Its hard to explain but it must be what pure JOY feels like.

Long live Flip City

My memories of that course would have been even sweeter if one of my drives had about two inches more height at the end. I think it was #12, where I hit solid on the left edge of the cage with my tee shot as it was fading back hard to the right. It got Bill's attention, as he was down the hill in the left rough working on something. Can't wait to get back there again someday.

I played a sunrise solo round while everybody else was still asleep in their tents. I felt the exact same. Still a top 5 disc golf moment for me.

It wasn't quite sunrise, but I was there damn early so I could beat all the folks coming to practice for Michigan State Championships. I was more than half way through my round before I saw another golfer.

Absolutely beautiful property with some great golf lines. Definitely a high point of my disc golf travels.

Ill throw some water on the fire and may get some hate for it, but I thought this place was overrated. I played around 9am and the course was fairly empty. Just seemed to be a bunch of 300 foot shots. Not very demanding. More of an "old school" course feel than what is now defined as "good."

I played a sunrise solo round while everybody else was still asleep in their tents. I felt the exact same. Still a top 5 disc golf moment for me.
I would love to experience it like that. My only time was on Memorial Day weekend and the spot was PACKED. It just felt crowded. Nice enough course. Really good old school design.

Ill throw some water on the fire and may get some hate for it, but I thought this place was overrated. I played around 9am and the course was fairly empty. Just seemed to be a bunch of 300 foot shots. Not very demanding. More of an "old school" course feel than what is now defined as "good."

i can agree with all of this. the views, atmosphere, and isolated feel were more impressive than the golf for me. that said, i had a great time and i think it's a really fun course. i've heard it called "the best par 3 course" and i wouldn't argue. it definitely doesn't have the challenge of modern course design though.

i had the course to myself on a misty morning, probably teed off around 7:00. it definitely added to the vibe. i can't wait to make it back but i'm sure it will slip out of my top 10 eventually. i haven't played Maple Hill, any of the Pittsburgh area, no Oregon, only 1 course each in MI, WI, MN, and there are still lots of good CO courses i haven't played yet. it's only a matter of time.

Latest posts