• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Floating discs

Dragon threw nice and straight but was a tad wobbly on release for me... WAHOO has a WIDE RIM and fits in my hand almost perfectly... it may find a place in the bag soon...

I am getting better at not throwing into the water, but recently switched to an Innova dragon for holes 3 & 4 at my local course. I wasn't overly excited about it due to so many negative reviews....but since 150 is my preferred weight (I am old and weak) it has worked better than expected. In 5 trips it has only hit the water once and does float as advertised. It is not my favorite disc but it has grown on me. I have actually used t in place of my Leopard and TeeBird on a few hole without noticeably different results....IMHO for me and the way I throw it is basically a faster TeeBird/Leopard with SLIGHTLY more turn. I doubt it will ever be my go to disc, but I kinda like it.

I used a dragon a while and found it flew pretty well, then I upgraded to a Wahoo. Did decent. My problem was that I only threw that disc on water holes.
So now I carry a 171 Pro Wraith, and a 135 Blizz Wraith that floats. I throw one of these on 90% of my drives depending on distance and wether I need more turn. When I get to water I throw the Blizz, but because I'm used to throwing it often it doesn't B-line for the water. The solution is to find a disc you like and use it consistently, not just for water.
As for your friends, I have 2 Dragons and a Wahoo, I use them as loaners for our course locally with water. I tell people if they put it in the water they get it back. I carry a Golden Retriever and a Disc Gator most of the time on that course, but I make them work to get it back while I sit back and rest.

My wife and I spent a week at a cabin at a lake in Canada in June. We brought our portable basket with us. The cabin is on a small peninsula, which used to be an island, so almost any throws besides putting practice could have water in play. So, I decided to test the floating discs that we had with us to see how well they actually floated by dropping them off the dock into the lake. I was surprised at a few of the results, and am wondering if something about the lake made a difference.

Floated fine: Dragon, Lightning's #2 Putter, both Lightning Rubber Putters, and the DGA Blowfly.

Sank a foot or two, but eventually came to the surface: 139g Blizzard Katana. This disc is somewhat worn around the edges--nothing major, but definitely beat in--and I wonder if that had anything to do with not immediately floating.

Sank and did not come up: 2 or 3 StarLite discs and all three Blowfly II discs.

This last was a big surprise because i have had 2 of these (Blowfly II) land in ponds before, and they floated just fine. I am wondering if the purity of the water had anything to do this. The locals use the lake water as tap water (they do filter before drinking) because it is so clean. The ponds that I have had discs land in before have been dirty. I'm guessing that the dirt suspended in the water raises its density enough that marginal discs float, or float better.

1. Don't throw in the water.
2. Don't let friends borrow your discs and throw them in the water.
3. Floating discs are tough to throw, you won't want to use them on any other holes.
4. If it does land in the water and float, you still might not get it back if it floats away. (Not everyone returns discs they find).
5. Mystery boxes, used discs on the marketplace, Play It Again Sports, DX plastic etc. are all good ways to get discs cheap.

I disagree about the Dragon. I find it flies quite well. And I'm a noobie.

I've found that I really like the lightning rubber putt. Most people wouldn't consider it cool, but I really like it.

Dragons aren't bad, really. Just misunderstood.

It's true that I didn't understand the one I owned, but I'd still call it bad. To its face. I lost it in some thick underbrush, and searched long because I was afraid someone would find it, and try to play with it, and I'd have that on my conscience.

Of course, there's somebody for every disc, and my bag includes a couple that make people's "Worst 10" list, so I say, give it a try. But I'll deny saying it, even under oath.

It's true that I didn't understand the one I owned, but I'd still call it bad. To its face. I lost it in some thick underbrush, and searched long because I was afraid someone would find it, and try to play with it, and I'd have that on my conscience.

Of course, there's somebody for every disc, and my bag includes a couple that make people's "Worst 10" list, so I say, give it a try. But I'll deny saying it, even under oath.

Well you have fun with your bag of Grooves and I'll enjoy my Dragon... ;)

I threw a dragon for the first time yesterday and it ended up in the lake. I was thankful to get my disc back especially since one of the people i was playing with lost two disc in the lake. However, I feel like if I had just approached the hole with confidence and my normal driver I wouldn't of had to even worry about the lake. I suppose mental aspect plays a lot into this sport.

I threw a dragon for the first time yesterday and it ended up in the lake. I was thankful to get my disc back especially since one of the people i was playing with lost two disc in the lake. However, I feel like if I had just approached the hole with confidence and my normal driver I wouldn't of had to even worry about the lake. I suppose mental aspect plays a lot into this sport.

Absolutely!. The mental game is half.