• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Floating discs

filmflicker

I would like to get a set of floating discs(driver, mid-range, and putter) for when I am playing around water. I am tired of losing discs in the water, and it seems as though my discs are attracted to the water. What are your suggestions.
Thanks

Dragon (driver). Or Hydra (mid-range). The Dragon is a good fairway disc, learn to throw it and it's good in water situations where you might otherwise throw another disc. I don't like the Hydra, but that's just me.

Oh, and you don't really need a floating putter, though the Hydra would work for this. I don't know too many holes where the basket is surrounded by water :)

The DGA Blowfly or Blowfly II are putters that float, although they take some getting use to

Dragon (driver). Or Hydra (mid-range). The Dragon is a good fairway disc, learn to throw it and it's good in water situations where you might otherwise throw another disc. I don't like the Hydra, but that's just me.

I like this. The dragon though is very light so it's easily manipulated by the wind. First time i tried it, it was extremely windy outside so i hooked it and went SPLOOSH! It floats and made for a good swim.

I have a Dragon and a Hydra. I don't use them much, but I do use the Hydra for short overhead shots and works good for that. The Dragon is a light disc at 150g, which the wind will push around. Hydra is heavier around 170g.

I brought them in case I play on a course with water hazards, but not much of a problem on the courses I usually play.

Oh, and you don't really need a floating putter, though the Hydra would work for this. I don't know too many holes where the basket is surrounded by water :)

You would be suprised. I know of several holes that are on hills right by water, or if you over shoot the basket you will be in the water. I use my Hydra for putting near the water.

you never drive with a putter on short holes? ;) I lost 2 putters at a tournament I played in out of town..didn't know there was water involved until I showed up so im glad I brought my extra discs, having 8 backups didn't really bug me that much that day lol..lost a putter, went to the car and replaced it lol....I actually felt an r-pro hydra...and I might actually buy one...I really liked the feel of the wide rim considering its a putter...but dont' know how they fly..?

I drive, approach, and putt with a Lightning #2 Driver whenever water is a factor on a shot. It seems to fit my style.

I don't normally play around water but the few times that I have I just pulled out my old beat up XL and prayed it would make it to the other side.

The Dragon and Hydra are good discs, although make sure you throw them for a few rounds on non-water holes just so you know what they do. If you only pull the disc out when you think you might need it, you probably will.
One last piece of advice when it comes to "floaters" and a warning. Floaters float...so if the body of water you are negotiating is a moving stream, you'd be better throwing a disc that sinks otherwise you could be chasing your floater through the whole course!!! We have a course just outside of denver here that did that very thing to me!!!! It was so embarrassing, although technically I think that it was the longest drive I've ever had....thousands of feet!!!

One more piece of advice would be to maybe have a "throw away" disc in your bag that you don't mind losing. Get some used ones off of ebay or something and then just go for it!!!

I have a Hydra, it is very overstable so try it on a non water hole first. the floating discs also make me mad. If I throw a disc in the water and donot see it I don't even try to get it. the floating disc always floats to the other side of the creek at the course I play at with water. The creek is very nasty and I world not really want to get in it. it just makes me mad as I can see the disc but it 30ft away on the private side of the creek were you have to climb over fences and over grown area to get it. most lightning disc float up to a weight.

The Lightning #2 Driver not only floats, but also has been a very accurate disc for me to use in multiple situations not involving water.

you never drive with a putter on short holes? ;) I lost 2 putters at a tournament I played in out of town..didn't know there was water involved until I showed up so im glad I brought my extra discs, having 8 backups didn't really bug me that much that day lol..lost a putter, went to the car and replaced it lol....I actually felt an r-pro hydra...and I might actually buy one...I really liked the feel of the wide rim considering its a putter...but dont' know how they fly..?

A Hydra is kind of between a Mid and a putter. I use it on holes 150ft and in that have water near them.

The Dragon and Hydra are good discs, although make sure you throw them for a few rounds on non-water holes just so you know what they do.

No kidding, really good point. The Dragon is light, so as other posters have said, it will really react to the wind. The Hydra is weird for me, never been really comfortable with it, so clearly you need to throw both of these discs in the practice field to see what they do.

One last piece of advice when it comes to "floaters" and a warning. Floaters float...so if the body of water you are negotiating is a moving stream, you'd be better throwing a disc that sinks otherwise you could be chasing your floater through the whole course!!! We have a course just outside of denver here that did that very thing to me!!!! It was so embarrassing, although technically I think that it was the longest drive I've ever had....thousands of feet!!!

Awesome! Now if we could only get a par 5, 900' fairway with a stream running through the middle and eventually running right past the basket, we could hit the stream on the drive with the Hydra, run down the fairway and pick it out of the stream right next to the basket, take the stroke penalty, and sink it for an Eagle! :p

Here come the quotes from the PDGA rules, I can see them now...

I got a hydra cause most of the parks i play at are 70% water. Floating is nice, but if it floats away from you its not a help at all

No kidding, really good point. The Dragon is light, so as other posters have said, it will really react to the wind. The Hydra is weird for me, never been really comfortable with it, so clearly you need to throw both of these discs in the practice field to see what they do.

Awesome! Now if we could only get a par 5, 900' fairway with a stream running through the middle and eventually running right past the basket, we could hit the stream on the drive with the Hydra, run down the fairway and pick it out of the stream right next to the basket, take the stroke penalty, and sink it for an Eagle! :p

Here come the quotes from the PDGA rules, I can see them now...

HAHA, good one:) When I design my own course, I will keep that in mind!

That's actually a very legal play.

803.03.F. A disc thrown in water shall be deemed to be at rest once it is floating or is moving only
by the action of the water or the wind on the water.

So you could just pick it up whenever it was floating in the water. I'm not sure where you would play it from, I guess in the water. just hope that you don't get stuck on a rock 200' down the stream though. That'd be pretty funny.

Latest posts