• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] FLX question

ReinZ_96

Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
How hot and humid does it have to be before FLX plastic is to soft and FLXy? I'm only wondering bc I'm thinking of getting a FLX Drone and it gets pretty sticky where I am for about a month to a month and a half every summer, and I really don't want to be throwing somthing with the consistency of a wet noodle..haha:p

Played in the 110 degree heat in Oklahoma this summer and never had a problem with my flx drone. I used to have problems with an r poo dart but that got thrown in the trash.

Played in the 110 degree heat in Oklahoma this summer and never had a problem with my flx drone. I used to have problems with an r poo dart but that got thrown in the trash.

well thats good to hear...if you played in that i should have no problem with mine up here :thmbup:

He's right, the Drone in FLX actually holds its mold good enough even in warmer temps, but it's nice in MI and I assume WI then too when it comes to the winter months :)

yeah its the flx challenger and surge i had problems with in flx, in the upper 90s its when it gets ridiculously floppy, but i have felt the drone and it is a much more solid mold that lives up to the flx plastic well

GET THE flx DRONE!!!

it gets plentyyyyyy hot and humid even in PA during the summer, it wont be an issue with the drone:thmbup:

I don't think FLX is much of an issue here, we only have a handful of days each summer which get above 90 anyways, and the grip is really good when its cold.

I do not know the exact ratio of pure FLX plastic to ESP, but I believe I saw somewhere that of the whole FLX line, the Drone, or at least its earlier runs, were more ESP than FLX. We are talking something like a 75/25 mix. This would definitely make it more rigid while retaining the overall feel of FLX.

The 2008 Worlds was the hardest version while the 2009 LE were considerably softer. I never threw the 2010+ molds, so I cannot speak for them. I used the 2008 forever and it never showed any signs of abusive wear. However, I eventually switched over to the Z Drone because of the little extra glide and distance.

Since I have room in the bag I found that I completely pulled the Drone and replaced with a combo of Pig and Trident. A Pig powered up or the Trident powered down can accomplish fairly the same shots as the Drone and now I have the added bonus of what those two discs can accomplish otherwise. However, I will not trade away my Z Drones. If I ever need to blow up my bag and start over, the Drone is a great place to start for my mids.

No worries about flx. Although innova echo star feels better then flx in my opinion. Has a rigid rim and very flexible flightplate. Feels great

Nothing has a wet grip like FLX plastic. I have played a few rounds where it was impossible to keep everything completely dry...extra towels, birdie bags, umbrellas, rain flaps...it just didn't matter. Your discs were going to have some level of moisture on them. With FLX plastic, it really doesn't matter how dry you get the disc. It still has an amazing level of grip soaking wet. The FLX Drone is a great mold on its own, but it really shines when you are playing in wet conditions.

Never had a problem with my FLX Drone down here in South Cack and it gets HOT. It certainly doesn't feel like other FLX plastics, but holds up well.

I love the FLX plastic during the winter and rain. The Drone is just fine in the heat, I played well with it in the Georgia and Alabama heat this summer and it was triple digits.

how does FLX beat in?

seems so much different from other plastics I've played with (granted that's not many)

They will rarely take damage. I have heard of extreme cases where people say the rubber just sheds off, but of all the FLX I have owned (at one time or another multiples of every mold), I only had one that showed any kind of gouge or damage, a Surge that I used full time for over a year.

However, and this is the weird part, apparently some FLX just die one day. Like a light switch they just lose all glide. It does not appear to the result of damage or anything. It just happens. I have seen other people on this forum talk about it and I personally had a Predator that was dead (came up about 40-50 feet shorter than my Z Pred). Yet I also have a Surge, a Surge SS, and a Buzzz that I purchased when they first came out and they still fly fine. So go figure.

how does FLX beat in?

seems so much different from other plastics I've played with (granted that's not many)

absolutely wonderfully...i have heard talk of the "all of a sudden" syndrome, but it has never happened to any of my FLX discs before.*

*i havent beaten an FLX disc below a 6/10 on the sleepy scale before getting rid of it, maybe it has to be beaten to a pulp before it loses all sense of being a disc?

I love my FLX buzzz honestly, thing feels amazing and it seems like it can take any kind of tree punishment I put it to

Latest posts