• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Fly18 Rubber TeePads

I just wanted to give an update.
The first pad (#11) I upgraded is on a huge unlevel boulder (slickrock). In order to get the frame level, it took a bunch of rocks around the edge of the frame along with 17 bags of sakrete. Then I filled in the lowest spots with smaller rocks to get the interior level up to the bottom of the 2x4 frame.
Next, we carried filtered gravel (sand) in 5 gallon buckets to fill in (up to the top of the 2x4 frame), leveled it and attached carpet to the frame.
It took 13.5 hours, but the next two pads were more level and went much quicker (4-5) hours.
These pads are great, level but cushy soft and no slipping.
Since our holes are not long and not uphill, the 10 foot length is more than enough.
The only bad thing is now I want to do all 18.
I may have the only course where the pad cost exceeds the basket cost.

Last edited:
I played on those type tboxes once at Miami Am Worlds. I had no problem with them.

I met the FLY18 guy once. No comment.

Anyone ever use rubber mulch like the stuff becoming popular on playgrounds? Cool part is they come in red, black, green, blue so you could actually determine tee type from a great distance.

I guess they would have the same negatives as mulch except they last forever.

I've seen swingset surfaces (huge areas) made of recycled rubber (i think so, anyway) that would make great tboxs.

Likely very expensive, however...

Anyone ever use rubber mulch like the stuff becoming popular on playgrounds? Cool part is they come in red, black, green, blue so you could actually determine tee type from a great distance.

I guess they would have the same negatives as mulch except they last forever.

Haven't used it on a course but have at my house. It has some advantages in that it doesn't float away or biodegrade. The down sides are the cost ($10/bag, five times what regular mulch costs per bag) and the coloring only lasts about 10 years from what I've been told.

The stuff comes in different grades depending on how much metal in it there is. The playground grade with zero metal in it is the most expensive. The yard stuff I have is like 1-2% metal from the steel "belting" of the tires. It can hurt to step on barefoot if you have the 1-2% stuff.

It helps if you buy it in bulk, but yeah its mucho expensive compared.

However...I found a place in PA that has designed a tire munching machine and sells the rubber chunkies for $.17 a pound. It would cost me $248 for freight to my house for the 3/4 ton I want and that ends up being the same price as tree mulch...but if you lived close it would actually be cheaper.

Just out of curiosity why is it considered pollution to have a random tire in the environment, but once that tire is ground up, its ok to spread it all over?

Just out of curiosity why is it considered pollution to have a random tire in the environment, but once that tire is ground up, its ok to spread it all over?

Maybe the threat of tire fires from illegal dump sites?

Used tire dumps are an eyesore that act as a breeding ground for mosquitoes.

Ground up rubber looks like mulch.

So partially the same reason why we protect some animals and make clothes from others :) It's all about appearances.

Because tires serve no purpose in a pile (except maybe as a ghetto disc-catcher) and when they are ground up they have a purpose.

It is recycling since the rubber will not go anywhere, might as well make it useful.

And my company uses the tire cords to make new steel so the more tires shredded the better. ;)

Whole tires partially fill with water and provide mosquitos a breeding ground. Perhaps that is the difference.

Some course in Ark? has tires buried half way in a circle as a landscaping barrier and they are painted white.

Not sure how I feel about that frankly.

Used some of that stuff for MMA training (makes it a little softer when you get thrown to the ground). It sticks all over your clothes. Never tried it as a tee surface...I think traction would be an issue.

Just a quick FYI, the playground grade stuff is .40 a pound here locally. That is not bad and not much more than wood mulch.

Latest posts