• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Flyboy in June?

blazerico

Eagle Member
How does one get to play Flyboy? Can anyone put me in contact with the right person to make it happen? I'll be in Atlanta June 25-30 and would really appreciate a chance to play another one of the best courses in the world. thanks!

Feel free to recommend other courses near ATL, I already have plans to play North GA Canopy Tours, Perkerson, Tyus and Moseley. Also, let me know if you want to meet up for a round during that time.

Ill just say this, Flyboy invites for locals generally come with about 12 hours notice, 48 hrs if you're lucky. So all I can say is pray, pray, and pray....maybe post something up on the local FB page when you get here that youre in town and interested, and perhaps by the grace of god, you can go. But any actual hope/plan of playing, will likely leave you disappointed. Sorry, but that's the realistic side of it.
In late November, there was a fundraiser event there for a local in need, it was posted publicly on our local pages, and a bunch of first timers got to play. Other than something like that, chances are slim to none for someone outside the community.

On the one hand, I've known of Kelly granting requests from travelers.

On the other hand, he wants the course to be in top-notch shape when anyone visits, which is a tall task in June. I'd think that would be a longshot.

But surely someone has a contact they can pass along to blazerico, so he can at least ask.

Well that stinks, but I completely understand. I've messaged Kelly here and on Facebook, so now I'll just wait and hope for the best. Thanks David

Little Mulberry Park in Dacula is a really fun course to stop and play around Atlanta too

contact Kelly 2 weeks in advanced. The larger the group the better. since the death of his mom, I don't think he has strangers stay at the Bed and Breakfast anymore, but you should have a group to help cover the donation. It takes him several days to prepare the course. Dont expect a fast response, he is out of the country a lot and does not check DGCR weekly.

thanks for the info, I'll try contacting him again in June. I'll be solo and can cover whatever the fee is, did the same thing at Phantom and Bucksnort. That's just how it is most of the time when I travel, which isn't a bad thing since I can get in more courses.

^ its generally a $20 donation per person. I think prerube is saying, the bigger the group the better, cause that would in turn mean more money in donations thus making it more worth his efforts to have the course ready in June.
For the most part, the chances of playing are largely increased during the non-grow season when it is much easier to have the course prepped.

I understand, hence my comment about Phantom and Bucksnort, where it's $20/person with four person minimum and I played solo so coughed up $$ and it was totally worth it. If I get to play flyboy, great, if not then I'll play somewhere else. no big deal, but I have to try.

I didn't know about the 4 person min at those other courses, so I didn't fully understand the reference. Good luck to you!

The one thing going in your favor, is the course has seen a lot more play these last 6-8 months then it had the previous, two years at least...maybe longer as I haven't been on the scene much past that.

The one thing going in your favor, is the course has seen a lot more play these last 6-8 months then it had the previous, two years at least...maybe longer as I haven't been on the scene much past that.

This is good to hear. I had the pleasure of playing in a tournament there in 2010 (I think) and Kelley was an amazing host and he seems to enjoy having guests come play his course. I can completely understand not wanting to trim up that course for each twosome that wants stop by and play a round.

I hadn't heard about his mother passing, but I tend to be active on here every other year for some reason.

Best of luck to you OP!

^ yes. Hobbs is a really nice course as well. Houck designed. It does have a lot of grass, which I believe only gets cut biweekly, but it is not a deal breaker. Still very new course, so hasn't been beat in yet, but still an awesome day of disc golf out there.

Latest posts