• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Flywood

thx for all the work you put into the thread S_P. A custom burn order would make a great gift.

Have you tried them for overhands? I just can't see how something that stiff could survive long thundering in from 300 out onto a piece of granite, which happens in my area. I have watched firebirds completely taco on impact

Not saying they aren't interesting.

Have you tried them for overhands? I just can't see how something that stiff could survive long thundering in from 300 out onto a piece of granite, which happens in my area. I have watched firebirds completely taco on impact

Not saying they aren't interesting.

That is indeed a harsh circumstance, to be sure. While I've not done exactly that, I have hyzer-bombed them into an asphalt road from 300' - off a tee pad that was about 100' higher than the road my Walking Stick torpedoed into. I've repeated that mistake, on the same hole, 3 times :( I never learn.

Yet, the disc has survived with nothing more than a quarter-inch flat spot along the edge. It didn't splinter or chip, just sort of got a tiny bit flat and spread in those small spots. I just squeezed it with plyers when I got home, sanded it a bit and reoiled. I had to do that the first time and the third time I threw it into that road, the second time It only had a small scratch.

Don't get me wrong, it made a really loud and resonant "bonk" when it hit (which was cool because it was far enough away to have a 2 second sound delay) and I was scared that I had really f'd it up... until I walked down and picked it up. The damage was small enough that I just kept playing it the rest of the round.

You can see that same disc pictured on my post from 03-02-2013 at 02:57 PM - the Walking Stick with the brown flight plate.

Now, the worst damage I've ever done to one was throwing my custom prototype driver a similar hyzer bomb that got away from me and came down in a rough and jagged rock pile. That left a gouge about 1/8" in from the edge... but it still didn't chip or splinter. For that one, I just sanded down the roughness and reoiled. Still flies and the damage hasn't become any worse.

Overall, my best comparison is to say that these are not as tough as Champ/Z or Star/ESP plastic, but much tougher than the DX plastics. The positive side is that they never "taco" or warp and they're flight never changes from being "broken in". It's the same disc today as it was 2 years ago.

Last edited:
These are absolutely sick! I remember seeing someone on here who had made a wooden disc for a trophy...I believe at one point he was almost done with it, and then snapped it :|

Thanks for sharing.

They are pretty amazing. I've used mine a few times, with barely a scratch in the thing. I use Vibram so the grip has been a bit of an issue for me, but if you are a plastic thrower the difference in grip is relatively minor.

Wow , first thread I see as I Pay Pal $15 for a midrange Flywood disc !
Yeah , gotta stop bidding on these FB auctions ! Money just flying out of my pockets !!!

Don't think I'll throw it much around my rocky course , but she's a beaut ! :)

Just got my Skulboy custom branded Flywoods. Brad does gorgeous work, these discs look great.

8695394250_05c431c6ff_o.jpg

8695394294_7fb63b066f_o.jpg

Holy crap! I'd heard those were coming, but I had no idea the brand stamp was going to be an actual branding iron instead of the laser engraving!

Are those the new Harvests or are they Logs?

I got both Log putters and some of the latest versions of the Harvest mid-ranges. Got one Walking stick, but that was marked 001 of the Skulboy Series so that goes into the personal collection.

I ordered one of the Skulboy Logs (Nice stamp, Duncan!), but the Flywood site seems to be down, and I can't find where to order a plain Log or two to mess around with. :sadpanda:

I ordered one of the Skulboy Logs (Nice stamp, Duncan!), but the Flywood site seems to be down, and I can't find where to order a plain Log or two to mess around with. :sadpanda:

Thanks Grungedude! In the mail today.

For anyone else interested, although my store are being reworked at the moment, I did put up the Flywood/Skulboy discs in my Storenvy shop.
They are only going to be up for limited time until the shop goes back to maintenance mode.

Flywood numbered these and they are the first run of single digits of the Skulboy series. Nice collectable as well beautiful disc.

8695394250_05c431c6ff_o.jpg

Oh man, just what I need, more Flywood! Kidding of course, I only own 12 of them = |

I'll take the neon green Harvest... because the red Log is gone. Ordered.

Grungedude42, the site is up now.

I saw this elsewhere on the forums and thought it might be nice to repost it here. Bret B. did an awesome job on the video...

Latest posts