• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

focus colors

money 21

* Ace Member *
i have heard that discraft vairies stability of a mold by color. does anyone no if this is true? and if it is what the pattern on the pro d focus is.

I have some pink and blue ones. I haven't experienced any noticeable stability differences. I've been throwing an orange X Focus with great success. Dropped some sweet putts with it at a tourney today. I still use the D ones from time to time and I really like them within the circle.

Dan Beto once told me "The green ones are particularly nice"

I had some white Ace Race ESPs. They were nice. but I don't like Pro D only discs.

as far as D plastic goes, the green are very stiff and slick, almost like the feel of a new slick KC aviar. the orange ones are a litle softer and very tacky. they feel similar to a good s wizard. these are the ones I prefer.

I use a Black Pro D Focus. It feels great IMO, and for some reason the black one beats in quick and holds the sweet spot

I had a yellow pro-d focus that was ummy gummy delicious. felt like velvety butter in my hands.

which is why I suggested my buddy get one. except he got a light green one that turned out to be uber slick and rock solid rigid.

I have a green one as well and it is slick and hard which works well for driving but not for putting?

ford-focus.jpg

^^Too bad they're getting rid of the turbo inline 5...

As to the OP, I remember Mark Ellis saying something about the whole stability/color thing in the lid thread, you could check it out- might be something like 5 pages back or so. Might answer at least the first part of your question.

**Eidt- found it:

Mark Ellis said:
marmoset said:
Hey Mark Ellis- a while ago you posted this:
Every Rattler made in the last couple years is a Rubber Rattler but the each color is purposely tweaked to make the discs harder or softer. The hardness of the disc matters more to the feel of it than the flight. The harder ones are more domey and slippery. The softer ones are flatter and more grippy. You can probably tell by that description that I strongly prefer the softer ones. In the current run the Blue ones are superb.
Does Discraft do this for any other disc than the Rattler?
Is it feasible to do this with a midrange/driver or with a hotter seller like the Buzzzes?

Yes, they do, including the Buzzz. Disc runs are purposely tweaked. They are tweaked during runs if they aren't molding they way they are intended or just to make different characteristics. Not everyone likes their discs the same. Some like them softer or flatter or tackier or whatever. Molding a disc is part science, part art and part voodoo.

Every run of every disc is a little or a lot different from prior runs. The differences may be so small we can't notice them or obvious just by looking at them.

So I suppose this is more about feel than stability.

Latest posts