• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Horizon plastic kinda lies. What about innova?

Awkward Accountant

Bogey Member
Someone cut the horizon cloud breaker in half and showed the different color is surfance level. I have heard from sooo many people that the other color is heavier giving it more gyroscopic effect, not knowing the color was surface level. Has anyone done this with halo plastic? It seems like that would be a false advertisement if they ever claimed the rumor.

1000011694.jpg

I am not easily swayed into the ramblings of randos, on topics they have NO insight into. We have science to answer questions, I try to use it. If not available.....I DON'T KNOW, is a fine answer. Then again, I am not running out buying the new fangled disc of the day.

I thought it's been stated before that the additives to make different colors do weigh differently. The real question without any kind of scientific/laboratory testing data is - does the slight amount of extra weight on the rim have a meaningful impact of disc flight.

My controversial hot take is all discs are gyro by geometry and until you start getting into metallic composites there won't be enough mass difference to effectively alter the flight characteristics.

It does look like a cool cross section though and I'm thinking that's some kind of on off on off hot packing during the molding.

When I was on a factory tour at gateway last year I asked the guy running the machine how the other companies were doing the halo effect and he thought they were using multiple injectors.
I had always assumed they put the rim color in the hopper then the plate color, and as they injected the first material got pushed out to the rim.
Seeing this now I'm not sure I want to know the answer about halo, orbit, etc for fear of being disappointed in the companies, the products, and myself for being fooled.

I have always thought claims of color, and even PLH having major effects on flight were dubious. But the effect does make for a pretty disc.

Step 1. Purchase disc
Step 2. Throw disc
Step 3. Form opinion based on how it flies
This is the way.

I'm all for having a logical approach to building your bag and that naturally leads to having slots to fill. But some of the most fun I've had playing dg is discovering discs with unexpected flights and figuring out how to use them to attack familiar holes in new ways.

When I was on a factory tour at gateway last year I asked the guy running the machine how the other companies were doing the halo effect and he thought they were using multiple injectors.
I had always assumed they put the rim color in the hopper then the plate color, and as they injected the first material got pushed out to the rim.
Seeing this now I'm not sure I want to know the answer about halo, orbit, etc for fear of being disappointed in the companies, the products, and myself for being fooled.

I have always thought claims of color, and even PLH having major effects on flight were dubious. But the effect does make for a pretty disc.
Plh makes immediate and drastic difference in the flight of the disc color can be argued without the data from the plastic.

You can manipulate plh with hot water or carefully over a camp fire or throwing them into a wall. I modify a lot of my discs and besides sanding off flashing plh adjustments are my go to if I want to change the flight.

Plh makes immediate and drastic difference in the flight of the disc color can be argued without the data from the plastic.

You can manipulate plh with hot water or carefully over a camp fire or throwing them into a wall. I modify a lot of my discs and besides sanding off flashing plh adjustments are my go to if I want to change the flight.

You can manipulate the wing profile and flight plate using those methods, yes.
You can't change the parting line relative to the wing without destroying the disc.

It's just a datum to measure how much you've moved the outer edge of the wing from a fixed surface beneath it.
I've never seen that measured in a reliably repeatable way. It's a relative measurement at best, and you would need another disc in the same plastic from the same mold to measure relative to.

I've seen people compare plh between different disc models as if the parting line itself has anything to do with disc flight.

You can manipulate the wing profile and flight plate using those methods, yes.
You can't change the parting line relative to the wing without destroying the disc.

It's just a datum to measure how much you've moved the outer edge of the wing from a fixed surface beneath it.
I've never seen that measured in a reliably repeatable way. It's a relative measurement at best, and you would need another disc in the same plastic from the same mold to measure relative to.

I've seen people compare plh between different disc models as if the parting line itself has anything to do with disc flight.
Yes you're absolutely correct about plh I'm moving the entire wing not the actual plh. I use an old mill table from a horizontal mill I scrapped and a surface gauge and an assortment of gauge pins to measure and comparing the wraiths I have and the ones I modify I'm only dropping the wing tip 3 to 5 thousandths of an inch.

The stock halo wraiths with the champion type plastic halo have a plh/wing height thats usually 2-3 thou higher than the halo wraiths that have star plastic in the halo and they do fly noticeably more stable than the star/star halo blends.

Yes you're absolutely correct about plh I'm moving the entire wing not the actual plh. I use an old mill table from a horizontal mill I scrapped and a surface gauge and an assortment of gauge pins to measure and comparing the wraiths I have and the ones I modify I'm only dropping the wing tip 3 to 5 thousandths of an inch.

The stock halo wraiths with the champion type plastic halo have a plh/wing height thats usually 2-3 thou higher than the halo wraiths that have star plastic in the halo and they do fly noticeably more stable than the star/star halo blends.

Now we're talking!
It's pretty awesome if you repeatably move wings 3-5 thousandths around the whole circumference, measure it, and reliably alter the flight characteristics time after time.

You should make a youtube video on how. I'd watch it. It think that may be the most interesting post I've ever read on this forum.
I doff my hat to you sir.

It's like those gross soft serve ice cream cones that inject artificial flavors on the surface of the icecream.
They fly just like any other icecream cone...

Color can be used as an indication of a different manufacturing run - environment, time, and plastic blend. With Halo effect discs having multiple colors then each combination should be treated as using different plastic blends. Temperature/humidity environment changes throughout multiple day which can impact molding processes for input/molding/output and it wouldn't make sense to switch back and forth between colors/molds as they go. These manufacturing run factors can add up to the millimeter differences in PLH and dome needed to produce a human noticeable impact to the flight for that color run compared to others.

Thats not to say that most golfers probably don't have the consistency of throws to give accurate comparisons for testing all color combinations - release angle and velocity also have an impact. Most casual players are not trying every color from every run. When Simon Lizotte or Calvin Heimburg is giving their opinion/review it probably has some weight since they have consistency in throws and access to all color runs for their testing if they want.

Visually the Innova Halo effect seems to have more of a transitional portion of color vs. the Lat64 style molding. Innova's also seem to vary in the width of the halo color quite a lot for the same molds - sometimes extending into the flight plate and other times more narrow than the rim width. Lat64 is consistently close to the rim width.

How is there not a robotic disc throwing arm that is consistent enough to actually test disc flights yet?

Who would it benefit that actually has a sufficient financial interest to do it?
Donno lol. Seems like a good idea for a youtube series though.

But at the same time disc flight is so personal that I suppose I see your point.

Latest posts