• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Foot Fault 2019

jeffboi

Bogey Member
Hi,
Not sure so I'm asking for a ruling. Foot fault called by one player. Everyone else in the group disagrees. What's the deal?

has to have a second or be called by a tournament official. Lack of either results in no penalty and play on.

I think the bigger question is, after last year, how many will we actually see called this year? Uncalled?

And 802.07 Stance indicates that it is a penalty for a stance violation and not a warning - hence requiring a confirmation (or tournamnet official ruling).

Thanks for the link. I don't see the part where it has to be confirmed by another player.

Where does it say that - or doesn't it?

Or is that 801.02 E

A call made by a player for a rules violation that results in one or more penalty throws can only be enforced if the call is confirmed by another player in the group or by a Tournament Official. A penalty throw is a throw added to a player's score for violating a rule, or for relocation of the lie as called for by a rule.

I'm not sure ... does that part def apply ... it doesn't refer specifically to that in the other part.

https://www.pdga.com/rules/official-rules-disc-golf/80207

Last edited:
Or is that 801.02 E

Yes. 801.02.E is the general rule on calling penalties. If a specific rule carries a warning first (as described in 801.02.D), then that is indicated within the text for the specific rule. All other rules don't require a warning.

Off the top of my head, and not a complete list, warnings are given for excessive time, marking violations, and can't think of any more just now.....

Foot fault? I wish jump putting would get banned.

The camera angle means there is no way to make a call based on the picture alone.

If the disc is still in his hand, neither of his feet are legal. If it's out of his hands, a still photo is still not enough to make the call.

Not a foot fault if you can't or don't call it in real time. The disc may have been out of the player's grip, looking at it from that angle.

In pragmatic terms, jump-putting is one of those hills few wish to die on, despite the fact that everyone recognizes the 'slop' in the situation...

Sometimes I question my own jump putts. I'm pretty sure I'm not committing a violation just because of past basketball experiences, but I'd have to get a good set of slow motion cameras to really say for sure.

Sad but true, regarding the athleticism.

Sometimes I question my own jump putts........ but I'd have to get a good set of slow motion cameras to really say for sure.

I believe that's correct and it's why jump putts are seldom called and shouldn't be. If watching foot, hand, & disc in real time can't be analyzed with 100% accuracy without sophisticated electronics & agreed upon, why should a player be penalized?

The disc may have been out of the player's grip, looking at it from that angle.

Looking at the shadow on the ground the disc is at least 8 inches from his hand.

Foot fault? I wish jump putting would get banned.

Jump putt or step putt?

Danny has some good thoughts on this, particularly at 6:25 where he mentions the pros.

Latest posts